Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

ID help needed - 1880-H Canada 25c - Wide 0 or Narrow 0?

GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 28, 2023 2:54AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I recently acquired an 1880-H Canadian twenty-five cents. The variety (Wide 0, Narrow 0, etc.) was not on the slab and I am finding it harder than I thought to ID this piece. Anybody care to weigh in on this?

At first glance it looked like the Wide 0, but then the space inside the oval of the 0 seemed narrow, yet, the 0 itself is quite thick. It doesn't appear to be Narrow 0 over Wide 0. Thanks in advance.

(minor edit for capitalization)

Comments

• Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 890 ✭✭✭✭

I would say it is a Wide 0 that has wear.
    Look inside the 8’s and the space there also seems narrow.

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

I'd also say wide 0.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

I pulled out my 2008 Charlton 62nd edition. This edition has some helpful photos of Victorian 25Cents varieties. Based on the pictures I see in Charlton and your coin, I see it as the wide date and wide 0-

How did the coin grade?

• I suspect NGC would be at 25 with an outside shot at 30

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 895 ✭✭✭✭

I'm on the wide O train

• Options

@coinkat said:
    I pulled out my 2008 Charlton 62nd edition. This edition has some helpful photos of Victorian 25Cents varieties. Based on the pictures I see in Charlton and your coin, I see it as the wide date and wide 0-

How did the coin grade?

• I suspect NGC would be at 25 with an outside shot at 30

I have the 2021 Charlton but I was more confused after looking at the photos. Is the 2008 an edition that focused mainly on twenty-five cents?

It is graded VF30. I'd grade it at 20 - 25 tops, but it's a nice original piece, which most important in my book. It was not overpriced.

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭✭

Please post a large picture of just the date. For now , I see it as the Wide Date N over W 0. Photo from varieties section of Charlton from a few years ago below. Bottom right corner, Notice thin middle and thick sides.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options

Thank you all for your opinions. Very helpful!

For 1960NY Giants:

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was looking at the positions of the numerals in the date and perhaps placing greater weight on the position of the 1on the coin in contrast to that in Charlton- In looking at this again, I think 1960NY Giants is correct

It was the 2008 edition that I looked at which has a decent section on Victorian 25 cents which begins on page 362 and ends at 456-

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.