Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What to do about Lou

I have both 1934 Goudey Lou Gehrig cards in a PSA 3 and I have the 1933 Goudey Gehrig #92 in a PSA 3. I need/want the other 1933 Goudey Gehrig #160 except that it is the EXACT same card as the #92 except for the number. Now the completist in me says that I do not have all 4 Gehrig Goudey cards without #160 but instead of dropping big $$$ on basically a double, I can get another big card that I do not have. I wanted to pick everyone's brain on what they would do in this situation. It is a good problem to have though.

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars

Comments

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would go with a different card…like Babe Ruth.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    I would go with a different card…like Babe Ruth.

I actually also have 3 of the 4 1933 Goudey Babe Ruths in a PSA 2. I am only missing the yellow version. The price of the yellow is a little too steep for me.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

What about a Ted Williams RC or a Jackie Robinson RC?

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

@72skywalker said:
    I have both 1934 Goudey Lou Gehrig cards in a PSA 3 and I have the 1933 Goudey Gehrig #92 in a PSA 3. I need/want the other 1933 Goudey Gehrig #160 except that it is the EXACT same card as the #92 except for the number. Now the completist in me says that I do not have all 4 Gehrig Goudey cards without #160 but instead of dropping big $$$ on basically a double, I can get another big card that I do not have. I wanted to pick everyone's brain on what they would do in this situation. It is a good problem to have though.

As a collector myself, I know that you know not having that "4th" gehrig is going to eat at you. because you will know you dont officially have all 4. you should go out and get you that 4th gehrig. you will love it!!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a completist. I wish I wasn't, but I am. I'd have to have the 4th Gehrig.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options

I vote Lou. You've probably spent more time chasing it than you'd want to admit. Been there plenty of times and my time has become my most valuable resource. You can always get rid of it if you don't like it.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭

@72skywalker
    "Use the force."
    "Search your feelings. You know it to be true."
    "You must unlearn, what you have learned."
    "Do, or do not...there is not try"

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep it on your list, but maybe not at the top. If younger a beauty, jump. Otherwise, chip away at the rest of the list.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have the rest of the set? If you don't it wouldn't bother me as much as if I had the whole set.

• Options

@nam812 said:
    Do you have the rest of the set? If you don't it wouldn't bother me as much as if I had the whole set.

I only did the Ruths and Gehrigs. i collect Yankee team sets so one day i will get the rest of the team. I wanted the big guys first.

• Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 468 ✭✭✭

Get that Stan Musial RC. He is perfect with Gehrig.

• Options

@72skywalker said:

@nam812 said:

I only did the Ruths and Gehrigs. i collect Yankee team sets so one day i will get the rest of the team. I wanted the big guys first.

@72skywalker said:

@nam812 said:

I've long been a rather obsessive-compulsive collector. I've collected off and on since 1961. I like to complete things, but in this day and age of big guy-big bucks cards, methinks you best resist the urge, and dispel any advice urging you to get the 4th Gehrig. Think it through, my friend. You find one, for several thousand dollars. You open it, and it looks terrific in hand. Then the crucial time comes when you put the 4 Gehrigs together---AND YOUR ORIGINAL CAUTIONARY THINKING WILL COME AND SPLAT YOU IN THE FACE! THE 1933 #92 AND THE #160 DO LOOK PRECISELY THE SAME. Maybe the backside write-up is different; big deal. What we collectors really get into is the front---the picture.

I say use the cash you would have used to buy the fourth Gehrig, and begin building the rest of the 1933 Goudey New York Yankee team. I honestly think you'll be glad in the long run.

Now, I don't know how many different Babe Ruths you have from the 1933 set. That's a different matter, since they're each different. I'd probably select the card I'm most attracted to.

Again, think it through cautiously. You must be happy in the end with what your eyes see in your display. We can all imagine the impossible, the "if money were no object...", but personally, I must work within the framework of what I have already, and what cash I can legitimately put down to enhance my collection.

Wishing you all the best, 72skywalker. --- Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

• Options

@IndianaJones said:

@72skywalker said:

@nam812 said:

@72skywalker said:

@nam812 said:

I've long been a rather obsessive-compulsive collector. I've collected off and on since 1961. I like to complete things, but in this day and age of big guy-big bucks cards, methinks you best resist the urge, and dispel any advice urging you to get the 4th Gehrig. Think it through, my friend. You find one, for several thousand dollars. You open it, and it looks terrific in hand. Then the crucial time comes when you put the 4 Gehrigs together---AND YOUR ORIGINAL CAUTIONARY THINKING WILL COME AND SPLAT YOU IN THE FACE! THE 1933 #92 AND THE #160 DO LOOK PRECISELY THE SAME. Maybe the backside write-up is different; big deal. What we collectors really get into is the front---the picture.

I say use the cash you would have used to buy the fourth Gehrig, and begin building the rest of the 1933 Goudey New York Yankee team. I honestly think you'll be glad in the long run.

Now, I don't know how many different Babe Ruths you have from the 1933 set. That's a different matter, since they're each different. I'd probably select the card I'm most attracted to.

Again, think it through cautiously. You must be happy in the end with what your eyes see in your display. We can all imagine the impossible, the "if money were no object...", but personally, I must work within the framework of what I have already, and what cash I can legitimately put down to enhance my collection.

Wishing you all the best, 72skywalker. --- Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

Thank you. I do have a way to go to save for the money for whatever card i get. It usually takes me 2-3 years to save up for a big card. I am sure that I will be changing my mind a few times along the way. I did notice that the back writing is exactly the same on both cards as well. Kinda lazy for Goudey to do.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nam812 said:

Hi Nick!

Merry Christmas my old friend 🍻

• Options

Here are my Gehrigs

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@nam812 said:

Hi Nick!

Merry Christmas my old friend 🍻

Same to you and yours Paul. All the best.