Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question about Sniping And Causing Auction Ending Snafu's?

Afternoon,

I just won an Auction that I am sure was manipulated by Sniping or some such programs. Those of you who use and see this stuff let me know if I am right. I've never used one in 25 years on Fee-Bay!

With about 7-8 minutes to go, the time would when it rolled to the next minute each time and sometimes several times in one minute would add 1 minute, in other otherwords it would Roll down from 3:03, 3:02, 3:01, 3:00 and then instead of going to 2:59 it would roll to 3:59 and I would have to reload the page to get the right time left. It did this 50-75 times in the last 5 minutes. Just kept adding minutes and I'd Reload the Page.

Then at the end of the Auction it showed me as the High Bidder at $20.50 then sat for like 2-3 minutes, (Seriously that long I started timing it got to 1:45 after already waiting). I kept refreshing, but no winner notification. Then finally it snapped to $145.55 and I won the Auction, Barely!

I feel that the Sniping hindered the normal end to this auction and just Cost me some money!

Am I wrong?

YeeHaw!

Thanks

Neil

Comments

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

Check the feedback levels of the bidders that made it go higher.... If they are under 10, maybe something funny, otherwise they just placed higher snipes. As for the clock thing and the price not showing right at the end, seems more like a browser issue.... maybe clear your cache. DId you have a lot of windows open... Maybe a reboot.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

Several threads you’ve started in the past month or two have me thinking that possibly eBay is not the right place for you to shop.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

Which auction house? Many have it set to add 2, 3 or 5 minutes if a new bid is placed in the last 2, 3, or 5 minutes. Prevents last second snipes.

• Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    Several threads you’ve started in the past month or two have me thinking that possibly eBay is not the right place for you to shop.

Seriously,

Asking questions gets you this kind of comment. And to think I've interacted with you for at least 10-15 years...WOW

Have A Great Day

YeeHaw!

Neil

• Options

@thedutymon11 said:

@DBesse27 said:

Seriously,

Asking questions gets you this kind of comment. And to think I've interacted with you for at least 10-15 years...WOW

Have A Great Day

YeeHaw!

Neil

All I was saying was that you seem confused and frustrated lately quite frequently with the eBay platform and that it might not be worth the headache. I never sell on eBay and rarely buy there anymore, so I can tell you there are other places to find cards if you find that one so troublesome.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    sjjs28sjjs28 Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭

I can only offer the following observation....
    I do use sniping programs on occasion - but only because I crash usu around 9 or 9:30 East Coast.
    Too many auctions close around 11, 12, 1 or later in the morning.

But for those auctions that I can physically sit in front of the computer and bid -
    There seems to be discrepancies between the countdown clock on the EBAY Ad screen and the countdown clock on the "Place a Bid Screen" and it can change between the two by a minute or so...
    The two screens are not "sync-ed"
    and - I'm never sure which one is accurate -
    and - I have lost a few opportunities to purchase because I timed out when I thought I had plenty of time to bid...

IMHO - what your observing is this phenomenon. And its an EBAY issue, not a sniping issue.

Steve Saldutti
    sjjs28@comcast.net
    Collector of 1964 Topps Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game and 1969 Topps Decals
    Registered Sets: 1964 Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game, 1969 Topps Decals
  • Options
    jraytayjraytay Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

Sniping is a time saver and convenience for those who know they won't be available to bid at the last second end time. Enter your snipe bid, go to sleep, wake up and check the results. Researching the cards (or items) recent sales price helps determine what your bid should be around. My snipes win or lose are usually pretty close to the final bid.

• Options

A sniping program can not "hinder" the end of an eBay auction in any way. It is just a program that places a specified bid for someone at a specified time. The sniping programs have no connection to eBay's software and can not extend the time or see info that the general public can't see.

Countdown clock anomalies you encountered have to do with the software your computer is running on. They are running on a java script and if your computer has outdated software or your web browser is not up to date (among other things), it can affect the countdown clocks and delay what you see after the auction ends.

• Options

@sjjs28 said:

>

There seems to be discrepancies between the countdown clock on the EBAY Ad screen and the countdown clock on the "Place a Bid Screen" and it can change between the two by a minute or so...
    The two screens are not "sync-ed"
    and - I'm never sure which one is accurate -
    and - I have lost a few opportunities to purchase because I timed out when I thought I had plenty of time to bid...

IMHO - what your observing is this phenomenon. And its an EBAY issue, not a sniping issue.

Thanks for the answer, this is exactly what I observed yesterday, and to make it even more mysterious, I sat and Bid on 10--12 Auctions ending yesterday, and Only Two of them manifested the screwy clock countdown, Both had Snipes but I still Won. So that led me to the theory it had to do with the Snipes, which I see was incorrect, I think!

Thanks

YeeHaw!

Neil

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭✭

I agree. Sniping doesn't do anything with the clock. It only places a quick bid near the very end. So, the price of the item may go up considerably in the last few seconds, but that's only because that's when all the action is. Sniping is the safest way to prevent being shilled.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

@thedutymon11 said:
    Afternoon,

I just won an Auction that I am sure was manipulated by Sniping or some such programs. Those of you who use and see this stuff let me know if I am right. I've never used one in 25 years on Fee-Bay!

With about 7-8 minutes to go, the time would when it rolled to the next minute each time and sometimes several times in one minute would add 1 minute, in other otherwords it would Roll down from 3:03, 3:02, 3:01, 3:00 and then instead of going to 2:59 it would roll to 3:59 and I would have to reload the page to get the right time left. It did this 50-75 times in the last 5 minutes. Just kept adding minutes and I'd Reload the Page.

Then at the end of the Auction it showed me as the High Bidder at $20.50 then sat for like 2-3 minutes, (Seriously that long I started timing it got to 1:45 after already waiting). I kept refreshing, but no winner notification. Then finally it snapped to $145.55 and I won the Auction, Barely!

I feel that the Sniping hindered the normal end to this auction and just Cost me some money!

Am I wrong?

YeeHaw!

Thanks

Neil

I am a frequent buyer on Ebay and I have never seen anything like you have stated.
    I also mostly bid at the last minute and I watch the clock very very closely.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

@pdoidoi said:

@thedutymon11 said:
    Afternoon,

Am I wrong?

YeeHaw!

Thanks

Neil

I am a frequent buyer on Ebay and I have never seen anything like you have stated.
    I also mostly bid at the last minute and I watch the clock very very closely.

Agreed. I've bid at 00:01 and saw I got outbid, and I was still able to get another bid in past 00:00 while the wheel was spinning, but I've never seen the clock on ebay change or add time.

• Options

Dutymon and Bessette. Thought they were the same bdnlvr person. Different people ?

• Options

@Ridethelightning said:
    Dutymon and Bessette. Thought they were the same bdnlvr person. Different people ?

What is a bdnlvr person, some sort of diss?

YeeHaw!

Neil

• Options

Kamal called just now and said it is not a diss. So all good.

• Options

@Ridethelightning said:
    Kamal called just now and said it is not a diss. So all good.

Thanks, but I think you’d be surprised by my candidate of choice. Although I prefer to keep politics out of my hobby.

Yaz Master Set

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭

Gave up those last second bid attempts years ago. There is no option but to use a sniper program or be tied to a clock and hope for the best. Anything else is almost guaranteed to cost you most if you bid your max and let it fly (that is just an invite to pass out money) or result in more missed bid opportunities due to bad timing, connectivity issues or any other problem that can cause your bid to delay or not go through.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.