Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1974 Topps Deckle straight edge proof -Rarity?

Picked up a Carew years ago and just got it graded by SGC. It is the only Carew graded by SGC and only one with PSA also. Don't see too many for sale.

Comments

• Options
    agragr Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

Did this set 4 ways. White backs, grey backs, cut from sheet non deckled proof cards with partially finished backs, and full uncut sheets

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭

So do I list with a higher "buy it now" with best offers accepted, or do I run a standard auction if I am selling?

• Options

You have to consider who would be interested. Someone collecting this test issue (not sure there is anyone) and someone collecting a Carew master set. The problem is, PSA devalued your card by making it "optional" for that set. The #1 spot for the master has the one PSA graded example. I have the #2 set. I would love to add this to my collection but it helps me 0 with the master set. Feel free to hit me up, however, if your price is extremely negotiable. I wouldn't advise an auction, not enough competing bidders.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2023 2:59PM

Should be in the Master set. PSA has screwed me several times removing cards that were already in my set.
    "Master" set should be just that, if they take your money and grade it, it should go in there.
    Good luck with your card!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    Should be in the Master set. PSA has screwed me several times removing cards that were already in my set.
    "Master" set should be just that, if they take your money and grade it, it should go in there.

I disagree with this assessment. If that was the case, every modern 1/1 superfractor and printing plate should be included in all Master Sets. Some cards just don't belong in a "set" where many collectors are competing.

• Options

@PatriotTrading said:

@JoeBanzai said:

I disagree with this assessment. If that was the case, every modern 1/1 superfractor and printing plate should be included in all Master Sets. Some cards just don't belong in a "set" where many collectors are competing.

I agree the manufactured rarities should be excluded. I was not referring to those.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@PatriotTrading said:

@JoeBanzai said:

I agree the manufactured rarities should be excluded. I was not referring to those.

If test cards were never meant to be released to the general public and were only available after a bankruptcy or back-doored, wouldn't they fall in the same line as modern manufactured rarities or worse?

• Options

Here's three examples of what I don't like;
    Not allowed in Master set.

One of three variations, all three were in set, then PSA decided only one would be allowed.

This one was in the set and also removed. They are very rare, but can be found.

I feel that these examples should all be allowed. It's the "Master" set. For those who don't want to go crazy looking for this kind of stuff, there are other sets they can focus on.
    I believe all of the above shown cards were sold in stores at one time.

I don't care for the newer numbered cards, but if there are enough for the crazy guys to get one, they should be in too. Anything with a run of under 10, maybe not, but those don't effect my set.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    Here's three examples of what I don't like;
    Not allowed in Master set.

Are you saying the item is not allowed or YOUR item is not allowed.
    Do you feel an Authentic graded card should be accepted, or should a number grade be required.

I have mixed feelings about including EVERYTHING in the master set because it would be discouraging to try to complete if there were several very rare items and variations. And not achieving 100% means no PSA award recognition, which some strive for.
    But then I think sometimes it should include everything.

• Options

Every graded bazooka box can be added to a master set, the same with Transogram boxes
    Why not this Alpha Bits?
    PLENTY of "authentic" items are included in sets.
    As I stated earlier, it's a "Master" set, if you can't or don't want to complete that set, there are several "easier" sets you can choose to build.
    I can't help it if someone is discouraged because they can't complete a particular set.
    Heck, I wanted to play in the NFL. I got over it.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    Why not this Alpha Bits?

I read the rules wrong. I thought the card had to have a number grade. Didn't think Authentic counted.
    And I never said the Alpha Bits shouldn't be included.

• Options

@RonSportscards said:

@JoeBanzai said:
    Why not this Alpha Bits?

I read the rules wrong. I thought the card had to have a number grade. Didn't think Authentic counted.
    And I never said the Alpha Bits shouldn't be included.

The Alpha Bits is a real sore spot for me. A few years ago, I picked it up at a National, it was the only Killebrew item I found that I
    needed in 4 days of looking. I didn't even know these existed on the single serving size.
    Quickly sent it off to PSA and when it returned, tried to add it to my set and was refused. I can't even remember the lame reason they used in rejecting it, but it really was the beginning of the end for me on participating in the registry.
    I still collect, but no longer "need" to have anyone's blessing as to what makes up my set.