Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Staying Bullish on Trout

Injuries have plagued him but none I'm aware of that he can't come back from. I think he has some good years ahead of him and am bullish on his card values.

Comments

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not bullish on any cards at the moment. Market has another 25 percent to go before it hits the floor.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options

Usually the years ahead are not so good when the years ahead are you being old in comparison to years when you were young when it comes to things like baseball and hitting. I mean if you say the years ahead look nice for Gunnar and he is 22 I can buy it. If you say the years ahead look nice for a guy who was killing it playing most every day until age 25 but is now 32 and has been missing a significant amount of time every year from 26-32 due to injury and hit .263 this year which is a large decline from his previous years, not sure I buy that. Guy who has been missing a lot of time in his youngers years consistently being hurt is now going to stay healthy and excel at ages 33 to 40, if that is what good years ahead of him mean, cant get on board with that. If you are holding the card and hope your investment does not fall off a cliff, I can buy into that. Its all a popularity contest. He has been loved. He was a face of the game. He made his mark. There are a lot of valuable cards where players with more impressive resumes than them have less valuable cards. He should be a HOFer no matter what happens. I wouldn't run out and try to acquire his most expensive stuff. But if I had it would see it as a hold. If someone made me a nice offer I'd take it.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

He's only going to get worse from here on out. Given his recent history, I wouldn't be optimistic about a rebound. 500 home runs at one point seemed like a slam dunk but I bet he doesn't reach that milestone at this point.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Appreciate everyone's feedback...it's all logical. I'm optimistic that his decline won't continue and that he has a few more 30-40 homer and .300± years. Based on the overall response it sounds like I should buying Trout before the 2024 season starts. I do have a vested interest with the following card:

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Griffey Jr is a fair comparison, but Jr ended up with 630hr. Mike prolly won't get anywhere near that.

However, Trout is kind of "the guy" for a lot of collectors, so unless something happens to negatively effect his card values, he shouldn't be too big a risk.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vintage535663 said:
    Appreciate everyone's feedback...it's all logical. I'm optimistic that his decline won't continue and that he has a few more 30-40 homer and .300± years. Based on the overall response it sounds like I should buying Trout before the 2024 season starts. I do have a vested interest with the following card:

That's a nice card! Roughly what does one go for? I have one singular ungraded Trout rookie that I pulled from a pack. It wasn't some once in a lifetime pull. I must have opened 2k worth of product. I was actually trying to pull an Aaron Judge Rookie!.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Trout update RC is a hold for me. Got it out of a $1.00 pack so really can't lose if the decline continues. Only real loss is not selling at the peak.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

That Diamond Anniversary rookie card was going for $11K at the peak. Last week PSA showed the last auction price at $3,600.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have seen the best of Trout. Wrong side of 30 and an injury disaster. He regressed mightily this season. It is highly doubtful he will ever reach any major career milestones. His rate stats will continue to degrade. He had about 7 great seasons.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    We have seen the best of Trout. Wrong side of 30 and an injury disaster. He regressed mightily this season. It is highly doubtful he will ever reach any major career milestones. His rate stats will continue to degrade. He had about 7 great seasons.

He could have a resurgence, but I wouldn't bet on it.
    His numbers are still VERY good.
    He could go into the toilet, but if that happens, I would imagine he'll retire with his millions before his numbers deteriorate too far.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

Agree 100%.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

• Options

• Options

A screenshot of a post from a Reddit thread. It is not my post, but clearly plagiarized directly from the textbook that I use to teach my class, Trouty 101, at The University of Countdouglas.

• Options
    GrooGroo Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited November 2, 2023 6:45AM

Speaking only for myself, the days of it being exciting to pull a Trout card are long behind me.

• Options

Trouts biggest claim to fame is that he was REALLY good at BB. an on base machine. the last 2 seasons, his eye seems to have left. OBP of .368

If that trend continues, and next year at age 32/33, I dont see how it wouldnt we will start seeing his lifetime rate stats plummet. the same thing happened with Albert and Miggy. His current slash line is: .301/412/588

he will certainly end his carrer below 300 for BA and below 400 for OBP. his SLG last season was .490. I am confident he will end up around .530 or so for SLG %

many have forgotten about his chronic back condition. they have apparently been able to stay ahead of it the last couple of seasons as his missed time is for other injuries. As he progresses into his 30s, it will become an issue. trust me. there is nothing that can sap a sluggers power like a back injury. just ask don mattingly.

• Options
    TerwinTerwin Posts: 70 ✭✭

What blows me away are his card values when compared to Bryce Harper. They have very similar numbers, Harper's a year younger, and has much superior post season numbers. Although he's had health problems of his own, he's managed to be on the field more than Trout. Harper's Update Rookie PSA 10 (us183) sells for $52.00 (most recent Ebay sale) and Trouts (us175) sells for $951.00 (also most recent Ebay sale). The real kicker is that there are 6157 Trout PSA 10's and less than half as many of the Harpers at 2940.

• Options

@Terwin said:
    What blows me away are his card values when compared to Bryce Harper. They have very similar numbers, Harper's a year younger, and has much superior post season numbers. Although he's had health problems of his own, he's managed to be on the field more than Trout. Harper's Update Rookie PSA 10 (us183) sells for $52.00 (most recent Ebay sale) and Trouts (us175) sells for $951.00 (also most recent Ebay sale). The real kicker is that there are 6157 Trout PSA 10's and less than half as many of the Harpers at 2940.

You convinced me to buy a Harper card.
    Here's the one I decided on;

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@Terwin said:

You convinced me to buy a Harper card.
    Here's the one I decided on;

Then I noticed that this is NOT a rookie card? Listing said 2011, PSA label says 2012. Cancelled the order and bought this one instead.

• Options

One of the reasons I focus on vintage, not so many "rookie" cards.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    One of the reasons I focus on vintage, not so many "rookie" cards.

I agree, the amount of rookies is confusing. Brady has either 42 or 44 I cant remember which.

it can be a lot!

• Options
    PastaBoyPastaBoy Posts: 175 ✭✭✭

Figured these just fit here following Halloween, just pulled the cards tonight even... cheers!

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2023 7:15PM

What’s the Trout 4mill superfractor worth today?

• Options

@addicted2ebay said:
    What’s the Trout 4mill superfractor worth today?

most definitely not $4MM. I would be very surprised if it sold for more than $1MM today.

• Options

To me, definitely a great looking card; but yes, would be surprised, if not shocked, if it sold for more than $1M today.

• Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 468 ✭✭✭

^^^^^
    Quality post!

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

A statisticians dream at least until this year, soon to become a nightmare to fans of whatever team he's on.

Unless somehow he acquires a career defining moment or 3 I do not think his card values will follow even similar paths as the players referenced in ArtVandelay 's post.

eeking 2 out walks in the 7th inning of blowout games appears to be Trouts true dici fama

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    GoTigersGoTigers Posts: 47 ✭✭✭

I didn't follow the chatter too closely, and maybe this was mentioned commonly, but when it was getting close to the trading deadline and the Angels were wanting to convince Ohtani that they were committed to winning, my vote was for them to trade Trout ( but NOT to the Tigers!) . There was certainly going to be a team willing to go for him thinking they could turn him around and make a WS run or two. The Angels would have a ton of money off the books that they could use to shift to Ohtani and sign a bunch of guys. Now, they are stuck with Trout, a proven non-playoff participant/winner, and they are likely losing Ohtani. What a disaster.

• Options

winning is clearly not an important part of the game for Trout. that was obvious when he signed the big extension instead of going to free agency.