Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Finally! I captured Mr. Joseph W. Barr!

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 6, 2023 3:16AM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

Hi guys,
I picked up my usual several 200 $1 bills from my local bank.
Well, I had finally found and hunted down one of the most rarest signatures on the Federal Reserve Note!
I believe, he was in office for only 28 days!
Yes, it's from 1963B series. Also, I might add. The bill is in very good condition, as well! I love the shade of lime green too.
Yes, I am aware these Barr notes, unfortunately, aren't really valuable. 😕 However, I'm just happy to finally track down one in the wild for my personal collection.
What do you guys think?
Thank You! 😊

Once again, Finally!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    luckyrollersluckyrollers Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats to you @joeykoins on finding your first Barr note in the wild. I hope you will find more as you do more strap searching. I've found around 4 to 6 Barr notes (maybe more) since I have been strap searching.

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 6, 2023 11:27AM

Cool find.

• Options

Thanks guys!
    B)
    Everything was in chaos when Johnson had to take over because of poor John!
    :'(

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember the hysteria over these notes.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

i love finding them (the few ive found) :)

• Options
    edited October 7, 2023 11:02AM

The very thin lime green serial numbers, are quite cool too!
    Also, my note is Misaligned, as well.

Compared to...

B)

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    The very thin lime green serial numbers, are quite cool too!

Looks like it's been through the wash cycle a few times. Nice find.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting the information Joey on the 1963B notes. I have 3 of these Dad passed on to me. Did not know the history on these as I don't collect notes.

• Options

@PocketArt said:
    Thanks for posting the information Joey on the 1963B notes. I have 3 of these Dad passed on to me. Did not know the history on these as I don't collect notes.

The 2 last bills are consecutive!

Awesome!
    B)

• Options
    tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 538 ✭✭✭✭

I remember sending a $1 to his office for his autograph after he left...the CU note was returned sharply folded in half with his signature stamped...nice guy!

• Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭✭

EF and EG are tough blocks to find in high grade for me.
    Excellent notes, thx for sharing

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tomtomtomtom said:
    I remember sending a $1 to his office for his autograph after he left...the CU note was returned sharply folded in half with his signature stamped...nice guy!

Ouch!

If it's any consolation, a few years ago I bought in an auction five consecutive Barr notes in uncirculated condition, all signed by him. I paid under $100. So, as painful as your experience was, you didn't lose out on a fortune.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just to tie the story together and fill in a few holes, Yes, Barr was only in office for 28 days but many notes with his signature were printed over a somewhat longer period. Then the fact that he only served 28 days was widely communicated to the public, so speculation was widespread that these would be a scarce notes. They were widely hoarded, resulting in the exact opposite situation. Many were saved in Uncirculated grades and many more were pulled from circulation and saved.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.