ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

I like the 8.5.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2023 10:02PM

The SGC has better centering …and the color is bolder. SGC wins!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

SGC without hesitation. Centering is decidedly better front and back, which is the biggest challenge with Henderson RCs. Registration is parity. SGC corners are better with the lower right on the PSA being the worst of the collective corners. Very slight bottom edge chipping on the SCG would be the only thing that keeps it from being a PSA 9. I say crack and sub to PSA if you care about the holder. That SGC 8.5 is a beauty.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

SGC like that it doesn’t have the imperfection under the o in outfield.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

SGC. Better centering caught my eye immediately.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Agree SGC

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will be in the minority on this, but I like the PSA better. The white border appears brighter overall, and I don't like the choppy lower edge on the SGC.

• Options

I think the SGC slab looks better and I think the card slabbed in that one has better front centering so I'd keep that.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭✭

SGC
    Both great cards

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

SGC by a hair.

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2023 10:25AM

Is there some gum or wax staining on the reverse of the SGC?

Mark

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough call but I'd go with the SGC example also. PSA card has a bit of wear on top left corner and SGC card is centered just slightly better.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    19591959 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

SGC.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭

@pab1969 said:
    I will be in the minority on this, but I like the PSA better. The white border appears brighter overall, and I don't like the choppy lower edge on the SGC.

I think that is SGC's poor scan.
    If you use brightness/contrast auto-correction software, they appear more equal.
    Of course, you won't know for sure unless it's in hand using natural light.

The SGC does have more chipping, but the PSA card has a bit also.
    It appears less noticeable against the lighter colored rail.

• Options
    JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 489 ✭✭✭

@pab1969 said:

Yup. The SGC looks like it has wear with the borders browning. The PSA looks like it came out of a pack yesterday.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2023 6:24PM

@JWBlue said:

@pab1969 said:

Yup. The SGC looks like it has wear with the borders browning. The PSA looks like it came out of a pack yesterday.

It's the scan and the lighting. There is no browning.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 876 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JWBlue said:

@pab1969 said:

i do not think that one looks any better then the other. they both have minor flaws. edging on the bottom of the sgc. and slight off center of the psa 8. really great looking cards.

• Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the PSA example better. Looks to have sharper corners, and that's a pretty big deal to me.