Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Please Help With Grading & Valuing A Cool Baseball Card Find

Not too long ago, I went to preview a local auction and found myself fumbling around through a collection of old postcard albums. Tucked away in the back of an album was an old baseball card. I couldn't believe it. A 1915 Cracker Jack baseball card. I wasn't able to attend the auction the next day, so I had to leave an absentee bid. Luckily, no one saw the card and I won the lot!

Any idea what the card may grade? The corners are fairly sharp, no crease or bends. There is some staining on edge from moisture? It's aged but appears to be a solid card. It's been years since I collected cards: late '80's to early '90's and never got back into the hobby seriously.

Here are pictures of the album, some pages, and how I found the card in back of album. Too bad it wasn't a Shoeless Joe Jackson but was happy just the same! Neat Wrigley Field postcards & Toledo Park presumably old Toledo Mud Hens field. Some other neat cards.

Comments

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭

That thing is in great condition. Congratulations on a great buy.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PocketArt said:
    Not too long ago, I went to preview a local auction and found myself fumbling around through a collection of old postcard albums. Tucked away in the back of an album was an old baseball card. I couldn't believe it. A 1915 Cracker Jack baseball card. I wasn't able to attend the auction the next day, so I had to leave an absentee bid. Luckily, no one saw the card and I won the lot!

Any idea what the card may grade? The corners are fairly sharp, no crease or bends. There is some staining on edge from moisture? It's aged but appears to be a solid card. It's been years since I collected cards: late '80's to early '90's and never got back into the hobby seriously.

https://psacard.com/auctionprices/baseball-cards/1915-cracker-jack/george-kaiserling/values/239149

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

With all the staining, not sure you can get higher than a PSA 4 on that. But with the great eye appeal, would think it would sell for at least $500+ when you look at the sales history.

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BBBrkrr said:

We don’t know what he paid for the lot.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nathaniel1960 said:

@BBBrkrr said:

We don’t know what he paid for the lot.

That is true.

I meant it's a nice looking card. I guess it wouldn't be as nice if he paid way over what it's worth though.

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the insight on price, condition, and what it might grade. The link was very helpful. I paid for the book $199.34 total- $185 bid plus juice. There are a lot of old store cards from the turn of the 20th century, local store cards mostly. Twelve pages of store cards & a few post cards. The baseball card was the only item I was interested in, and was somewhat a shot in the dark. I'll probably end up putting the baseball card on the BST for a reasonable price sometime soon. Other hobbies take priority- can't collect everything. :p

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,808 ✭✭✭✭✭

That postcard of the player, may have some decent value as well, depending on the name.

You may want to use Google images, and try to find that postcard on there, and it might say who is the player. Shame it's not Ty Cobb because Cobb was an outfielder, and obviously it's a pic of an infield play. Ty Cobb collectors just open up their checkbook when it comes to anything with Ty Cobb on it.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 816 ✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    That postcard of the player, may have some decent value as well, depending on the name.

You may want to use Google images, and try to find that postcard on there, and it might say who is the player. Shame it's not Ty Cobb because Cobb was an outfielder, and obviously it's a pic of an infield play. Ty Cobb collectors just open up their checkbook when it comes to anything with Ty Cobb on it.

If the postcard is original, it is a 1907 CINCINNATI MORGAN STATIONARY RED BELT COLOR BASEBALL RED SOX POSTCARD "SAFE"

One write up on ebay stated:
    "One of the scarcest and most sought after baseball postcards are the so called Morgan Stationary Set of 12 postcards known as THE RED BELT SERIES because of the Red Belts seen on the players. This postcard is Titled SAFE and is given the number 11 (of 12). This postcard is the most puzzling card of the set according to Experts as the player on the card is JIMMY COLLINS a Hall of Famer from the Boston Red Sox. The field has also been identified as the old Huntington Street ball park and stadium based on advertising on the fence."

Another write up said the sliding player is Miller Huggins.

Don't know the condition of the OP's, used or unused.
    A recent ebay sale of a Lot of (5) used and unused Red Belt baseball postcards , including the one the OP has, sold for $400.

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RonSportscards said:

@stevek said:

If the postcard is original, it is a 1907 CINCINNATI MORGAN STATIONARY RED BELT COLOR BASEBALL RED SOX POSTCARD "SAFE"

One write up on ebay stated:
    "One of the scarcest and most sought after baseball postcards are the so called Morgan Stationary Set of 12 postcards known as THE RED BELT SERIES because of the Red Belts seen on the players. This postcard is Titled SAFE and is given the number 11 (of 12). This postcard is the most puzzling card of the set according to Experts as the player on the card is JIMMY COLLINS a Hall of Famer from the Boston Red Sox. The field has also been identified as the old Huntington Street ball park and stadium based on advertising on the fence."

Another write up said the sliding player is Miller Huggins.

Don't know the condition of the OP's, used or unused.
    A recent ebay sale of a Lot of (5) used and unused Red Belt baseball postcards , including the one the OP has, sold for $400.

Thank you so much for researching, and discovering the information about the postcard. What an interesting amount of info. on players, and background on this series of postcards. Very cool! I pictured the front, and back. Postmarked, September, 1907.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just to be sure see if the stamp on the postcard has any value. One never knows.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".