Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Fractional progress proofs?

Tried to buy them but online auction ignored my bidding! These sold for $75!

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

Comments

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool.
    Would they be considered Proofs or Specimens or what Russell ?

• Options
    tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 6, 2023 1:44PM

Yikes...if real, the 10 cent first issue and 5 cent third issue would sell for small fortune...I have never seen them come for sale in all my years of collecting fractionals. Other issues have been sold, but have never seen these before.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2023 7:14AM

I believe that these are progress proofs which are proofs with some of the elements not yet engraved. Impressions of the plate are taken before the plate is completed to assure that the work is acceptable, approvals are obtained, and the work continues on the plate. If a mistake is spotted at this stage, a correction might be made or a decision made to start a new plate and avoid doing more work on a plate that will not be approved for use.

@tomtomtomtom I was afraid that you might say that. I can't believe that I was actually bidding on this when the auctioneer ignored my bid(s). I don't know if it was internet lag or a clerk not paying attention but this frame, with these vignettes (and others), was hammered down at $75 + BP.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭

It's too bad that you were not able to get it...can't believe that they let it go for that price...the other pieces alone would have been worth a lot more.