Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Latvia 5 Lati toned -is this about as good as it gets in terms of color?

I recently picked up this PCGS MS 63 1931 Latvian 5 Lati after searching for a while. These just don’t seem to show up nicely toned too often. Has anyone seen one with better color before or own one that they want to share?

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice example. Not too many of these 5 Lati with decent toning. I guessing it's probably due to the mint packaging that over time imparted speckled / splotchy yellowish toning that most people certifying these usually dip off.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never seen a MS 65 whether toned or not !

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    RSPRSP Posts: 65 ✭✭

Let's put it this way. I would not sell this coin until I got a better one. It could be quite a while.

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭✭

@U1chicago said:
    I recently picked up this PCGS MS 63 1931 Latvian 5 Lati after searching for a while. These just don’t seem to show up nicely toned too often. Has anyone seen one with better color before or own one that they want to share?

Nice one!

This is a coin on my list, I have a 1932 raw Unc, may I ask and if possible, in what price range are currently a MS63 and if varies between one graded at NGC versus PCGS. Thanks.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ELuis said:

@U1chicago said:

Nice one!

This is a coin on my list, I have a 1932 raw Unc, may I ask and if possible, in what price range are currently a MS63 and if varies between one graded at NGC versus PCGS. Thanks.

Thanks!
    The range is about $125 to $200 for MS 63 examples (with only a few sales recently). It does not seem to make much of a difference if it’s slabbed by NGC or PCGS at this grade.

• Options

@U1chicago said:
    Thanks!
    The range is about $125 to $200 for MS 63 examples (with only a few sales recently). It does not seem to make much of a difference if it’s slabbed by NGC or PCGS at this grade.

Great - Thanks!.

That price will be for the 1931 no? guess that the 1932 with low mintage at $300 range for a MS63 won't be bad.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ELuis said:

@U1chicago said:
    Thanks!

Great - Thanks!.

That price will be for the 1931 no? guess that the 1932 with low mintage at $300 range for a MS63 won't be bad.

It does not seem like the 1932 has much of a premium to a 1931. The only recent sale was an NGC MS 63 for $181.49. So I would say $300 would be too much unless it has nice toning.

• Options

@U1chicago said:
    It does not seem like the 1932 has much of a premium to a 1931. The only recent sale was an NGC MS 63 for $181.49. So I would say $300 would be too much unless it has nice toning.

Thank you for the info, that price it is better.

Here is an image capture of the coin it is on a PCGS slab:

• Options
    edited September 8, 2023 4:38PM

@U1chicago said:
    It does not seem like the 1932 has much of a premium to a 1931. The only recent sale was an NGC MS 63 for $181.49.

i will try one of these days to bid for a coin at least for a first time in my life :)