Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Junk wax rookie cards with pops in the 100s (instead of 1000s+)

Would love to see how others collect in this space. I will go first...

And a couple of low pop ones that are rarer than the labels suggest:

Comments

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd call 1984 and 1985 Junk wax adjacent especially Tiffany's.

It's the singer not the song - Peter Townshend (1972)

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a good part of my collection. I will post some when I have a moment.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭

So what years are we calling 'Junk Wax'?

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would probably start at 1988 for junk wax. But there is a ton of 1986 - 1987. I would guess trying to get an unopened case of 1985 and older would be more difficult than 1986 and 1987.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options

1987 to 1993 is what I consider junk wax. Although I really don’t consider any of it junk…

There are some exclusions such as the limited glossy (Score and Fleer) and the Tiffany (Topps and Bowman). 1993 started with some premium sets such as Topps Finest, etc., so there are those caveats too.

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

I remember back in 1981 when I was collecting and Fleer and Donruss baseball came out . I had really bad feelings that was the end because cards where being flooded every where. To me 1981 was the start of the junk era.

• Options
    woodstock2woodstock2 Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

I really love all of it. My peak collecting years as a kid were 1983 - 1990. I did not have an easy time getting 84 Donruss cards but those were what I realy wanted at the time. I went to card shows with my dad in the 80s and saw the Tiffany sets but never had that kind of $$ or really understood what they were. My cousin was really into versions of the RJ Marlboro card even though it wasn't cataloged at the time. He would shine a light on all of ours and point out what he saw. I couldn't care less about them or the NNOF card that neither of us ever saw in person but heard about. Funny how after getting back into the hobby back in 2018 and quickly picking up all the cards I had as a kid these became my chase cards. Haha. I never even was able to get a Nasty Nick card in 1985. As soon as I got to the one store that sold them they were selling the second series already.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bill Bruton Topps 1953

Just another overlooked and under appreciated player

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    edited August 24, 2023 5:01PM

Here are a few of what I have in the 87-93 that aren't from a premium set, under 1k pop. Although Stadium Club was premium in the day, so borderline..

• Options
    CardGeekCardGeek Posts: 470 ✭✭✭

1987 Topps is solidly junk wax. They printed a ton. 1986 Topps is just a crappy set. They printed a lot of 1986 too. Not like 1987 though.

• Options

@NGS428 said:
    Here are a few of what I have in the 87-93 that aren't from a premium set, under 1k pop. Although Stadium Club was premium in the day, so borderline..

I love the Classic Travel Griffey. Nice! I remember having that one (in much worse condition).

• Options
    edited August 24, 2023 4:46PM

@woodstock2 said:

@NGS428 said:

I love the Classic Travel Griffey. Nice! I remember having that one (in much worse condition).

Thanks! I have a bunch more junk wax Griffey rookies, but I just added the Classic purple too.

• Options
    SoxPatsFanSoxPatsFan Posts: 201 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2023 4:54PM

I consider 1987 Topps to be the start of junk wax, though I don't think 1987 Fleer or Donruss are in the junk wax category.
    1984 - 1986 cards always sold above retail except 1986 Topps.
    Tiffany & Glossy sets are not junk wax in any year. Actually, they're not even wax since they weren't sold in packs.

• Options

Low double-digit 10's

Self submitted and the strongest 9 of the card I've ever seen. Early in 1999 I traded a raw 1995 Score Select Football Terrell Davis for the Raw Jeter.

• Options

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:
    Low double-digit 10's

Self submitted and the strongest 9 of the card I've ever seen. Early in 1999 I traded a raw 1995 Score Select Football Terrell Davis for the Raw Jeter.

Wow that is a beauty! Amazing card and trade!

• Options
    edited August 25, 2023 4:30PM

^ and it was to a dealer! Davis was very hot at that point in time. I had 6 of the 95 Selects all pack pulled that were PSA 10 candidates at least at the time, and brought 4 to somewhat large show in my region. I traded him the 2 raw Davis' for the Jeter and $150 cash At the time I was thinking why didn't I bring another 2 or 3 Davis' with me.

It would be another decade before I sold another card. As I mention frequently I almost never sell cards. BTW not long after that deal I jumped off the new/modern card treadmill and moved to vintage cards and other collecting interests.