Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Tried TAG grading.

Very nice slabs. 👌

Collect raw morgans, walkers, mercs, SLQ, barber q. Looking at getting into earlier date coins pre 1900s.

Comments

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 841 ✭✭✭✭

How much is it?

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anybody else noticed that collectors who use these 4th tier grading companies always talk about their “nice slabs,” but never “accurate grading”? (I’m not bashing the OP, I’m bashing these companies).

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

it seems like we are reliving the early 00s. there were tons of "4th"tier grading companies then too. they will last about 5 years and become former grading companies.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    bigtime36bigtime36 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

@RonSportscards said:
    How much is it?

$14 per.

Collect raw morgans, walkers, mercs, SLQ, barber q. Looking at getting into earlier date coins pre 1900s.

• Options

Check the website to see how they grade compared to the rest.

• Options
    Loyalty32Loyalty32 Posts: 499 ✭✭✭

I can't speak on the grading, but the scans are beautiful. Nice looking cards as well!

Thanks
    Craig

• Options

@Loyalty32 said:
    I can't speak on the grading, but the scans are beautiful. Nice looking cards as well!

Thanks
    Craig

Thank you.

• Options
    AANVAANV Posts: 336 ✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    Has anybody else noticed that collectors who use these 4th tier grading companies always talk about their “nice slabs,” but never “accurate grading”? (I’m not bashing the OP, I’m bashing these companies).

The only thing 4th tier about this company is the current lack of adoption of their services by the market. These guys are the real deal and exactly how grading should be.

• Options

@AANV said:

@DBesse27 said:

The only thing 4th tier about this company is the current lack of adoption of their services by the market. These guys are the real deal and exactly how grading should be.

There are a lot of positives, like the transparency of why the card got a certain grade.
    (Ironically they don't appear very transparent on cost. LOL. Also, do they charge on minsize?)

I'm not really a fan of downgrading cards by using AI tech on flaws that can't be seen by the human eye.
    Maybe if a card was $10,000 or more? I don't know. Just thinking out loud.

Just like when computer chess first came out (Crap. Am I old?), it was interesting to see the man vs machine.
    It would be an interesting study to see what TAG's AI would grade, what I feel is, an undergraded PSA card.
    The battle between self grading, PSA's grading, and machine grading.
    I just might do it.

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

I must say, the grading reports are quite impressive.

• Options

@RonSportscards said:

@AANV said:

@DBesse27 said:

There are a lot of positives, like the transparency of why the card got a certain grade.
    (Ironically they don't appear very transparent on cost. LOL. Also, do they charge on minsize?)

I'm not really a fan of downgrading cards by using AI tech on flaws that can't be seen by the human eye.
    Maybe if a card was $10,000 or more? I don't know. Just thinking out loud.

Just like when computer chess first came out (Crap. Am I old?), it was interesting to see the man vs machine.
    It would be an interesting study to see what TAG's AI would grade, what I feel is, an undergraded PSA card.
    The battle between self grading, PSA's grading, and machine grading.
    I just might do it.

Hey there, I am new to grading and went with TAG because the process was simple for me. They do drops for the grading service every 2-3 weeks and you can pick 5, 10, 20, and I believe 40 card subs, currently it's $14 per card and the last time I submitted it was year 2000 and up as they are new and ramping up, they may be doing 89' and up now. I suggest anyone that is at all curious to just try the 5 card sub which I did previously. $29 shipping and they send you the kit to send the cards to them, very streamlined 20 business day turnaround. Check out some people's YouTube reviews on the kit and process.

Jim

• Options
    nendeenendee Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

The problem is that you have to snag one of their grading “drops” - because they can’t handle volume - yet at least. So, you have to play the wait in line drop game. I believe they only have one or two machines, so they have a low peak capacity - I assume that will change.

Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com
  • Options

Just got my submission back, here's how it comes packaged, less the fed ex package.

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or does it seem like a grading company other than PSA should not be being pushed here. Does not feel like it should be.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bigtime36 said:
    Just got my submission back, here's how it comes packaged, less the fed ex package.

Your pictures didn't include the grading report you get when you scan the QR code. This thread is muc less interesting without those.

• Options

@daltex said:

@bigtime36 said:

Your pictures didn't include the grading report you get when you scan the QR code. This thread is muc less interesting without those.

• Options
    JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Competition is a good thing for the hobby. Merging and acquisitions occur often to either shut down the direction a company is taking or to adopt the changes the competition has used to grab a market share.

I'm a software engineer and I wouldn't want cards graded solely on software, however, modern card printing standards have expectations of being a 9/10 out of the pack everytime and the only excuse for a 9 is mishandling. Precision with centering and coloring is an expectation.

The softwares accuracy is currently limited to the data is has access to. I would love the transparency of seeing their software, and more importantly, the test cases and procedures used to verify the software always does what it is intended to do. Verification and validation is just as important as the software itself and this is a corner most companies take. The FAA has requirements for software verification and the latest standard is called DO-178C (Directive Order). You cannot get certification (air worthiness) without a stockpile of testing, analysis, and reporting. Accidents occur even with all the measure in place because we are human and make mistakes.

Software does only what it is told to do and a human is who tells it what to do. AI that creates AI is still a derivative of human intelligence which is never going to be absolutely flawless 100% of the time.

Can really good AI replace human intelligence? No because we designed it, naturally. Can really good AI perform better than any single individual? All the time but that's comparing a team of people to just one person and it's not apples to apples.

I don't think TAG, or any company, will ever create software which works for all cards past and present for 2 main reasons.
    1) Not everyone agrees on grading standards for vintage because the technology used at the time wasn't consistent. Also, decisions by humans decide how flaws affect the overall grading and that is always subjective. People will never fully agree on these standards.
    2) AI needs data and nobody knows what technologies will come in the future. Cards might someday contain software with sound, motion, or lighting effects and blow our world away and software will need time to adjust to the changes.

Thanks for sharing. I was wondering how I should grade my scoring kings cards since my pack fresh got an 8 and appeared as a 9 or 8.5 at the worse to me, and maybe it deserved it, but I'm not seeing it and there's no justification for the grading other than what we already have been told by customer service, or read on the forums/website, and that's on PSA to decide what they want to do. It is what it is. I do think this topic is touchy to put on the PSA forum because they allow the exchange of information to help us connect while it also is an arena for competition to see what complaints people have and try to tap into the market by beginning with a baseline from a current grading company and then making some changes. The baseline they used was likely researched and developed at the expense of the competition who they derived from and the improvements came from the input of their competitions customers, and we often just care about what's only best for our pocketbook.

Grading companies who have been around 20 years have had to spend a lot of resources to get to where we are today for all aspects (holders, labels, drops, status updates, crossovers, which cards to exclude, etc.). Loyalty from customers is something greybeards remember and often customers will attempt to be loyal until they cannot justify it any longer.

I imagine the evolution of the grading justification is a focus for all companies and I'm eager to see what comes of it.

These forums exist for us and for the company to get a pulse on things.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they're going to get into this sort of detail with every card evaluation then the grading companies better be clear as glass about how and why cards get the grades they do. Just giving back a grade and expecting the customer to accept it is not going to cut it any more. Especially when you're comparing vintage to modern/ultra-modern.

Each company needs to be completely transparent with their grading system. Otherwise, folks will stop trusting in that company, and that's just good business.

• Options

@80sOPC said:
    Wow, that grading report is incredible. Talk about disruptive.

My first thought is I wonder how much the hobby actually wants transparency like this.

My first thought too was, that it was over the top. But at the same time, if they didn't, then someone would be critical saying they were half-assed about it since they have the tech to provide this level of detail.

I think I would be OK with just corners/edges/centering/surface subgrades.
    At the very least, giving the deciding factor of a grade.
    If a card grades a 4, I don't really need to know that the corners graded a 6 and the centering graded a 7. I want to know what the grader saw to make it a 4.

• Options
    horseyridehorseyride Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

Beautiful images

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@80sOPC said:

My first thought is I wonder how much the hobby actually wants transparency like this.

My first thought was what it would do to a pack fresh 1987 Topps card. I'm just not sure how to tell the difference between 1000 fraying and 999. Also not sure how to reduce all that data to a single digit grade.

• Options

@daltex said:

@80sOPC said:

My first thought was what it would do to a pack fresh 1987 Topps card. I'm just not sure how to tell the difference between 1000 fraying and 999. Also not sure how to reduce all that data to a single digit grade.

Currently, they're only going back to 1989. (I can't imagine the edge scores on 70s OPC. LOL)
    They're using a 1000 pt scale.
    The above Sanberg is a 943--->9.

TAG SCORE TAG GRADE CONDITION
    990 - 1000 10 (P) TAG PRISTINE
    950 - 989 10 GEM MINT
    900 - 949 9 MINT
    850 - 899 8.5 NM MT+
    800 - 849 8 NM MT
    750 - 799 7.5 NM+
    700 - 749 7 NM
    650 - 699 6.5 EX MT+
    600 - 649 6 EX MT
    550 - 599 5.5 EX+
    500 - 549 5 EX
    450 - 499 4.5 VG EX+
    400 - 449 4 VG EX
    350 - 399 3.5 VG+
    300 - 349 3 VG
    250 - 299 2.5 GOOD+
    200 - 249 2 GOOD
    150 - 199 1.5 FAIR
    100 - 149 1 POOR

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

With that technology grading vintage shouldn’t be a problem, you just adjust for the issue. OPC? Allown for some percentage of edge fray.

That is happening anyway in trad grading, but very inconsistently. Which is why I haven’t submitted cards lately, very clear the graders can’t consistently grade issues like OPC that have characteristics like a rough cut.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the concept and hope they make it. I predict PSA buys them for the tech. Goes machine graded on ultra-modern and stays human on vintage.

• Options

@brad31 said:
    I love the concept and hope they make it. I predict PSA buys them for the tech. Goes machine graded on ultra-modern and stays human on vintage.

Interesting prediction. Let's hope if they get acquired then PSA is the purchaser. I honestly don't think the programming required would be over $250k if you had the right 8 people from India and utilized a couple of existing PSA salaried employees to cadence the team.

I think each slab in a sealed bag is an unnecessary expense, it looks good, but more waste. PSA seems to package their items well and items don't get scratched.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said:

I would rather see all cards graded using both human eyes and machine measuring.
    Also want to see a printout on measurements and at a certain service level grader notes.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Software report datasheet for all and graders notes for higher service levels seems reasonable.

I think PSAs manual grading experience of oddball shaped items, sealed packs, cereal boxes, and other misc. items is always going to be necessary to some degree.

• Options
    AANVAANV Posts: 336 ✭✭✭

@JolleyWrencher said:

@brad31 said:

Interesting prediction. Let's hope if they get acquired then PSA is the purchaser. I honestly don't think the programming required would be over $250k if you had the right 8 people from India and utilized a couple of existing PSA salaried employees to cadence the team.

It's not about the programming. It's about their patents. TAG pioneered AI grading more than a decade ago and have 130+ patents on the technology.

• Options

@AANV said:

@JolleyWrencher said:

@brad31 said:

It's not about the programming. It's about their patents. TAG pioneered AI grading more than a decade ago and have 130+ patents on the technology.

If I had my own requirements, design, requirements (high and low level), code, and optional verification & validation, then there's an extremely low probability of violating the patent. It can, should, and I wouldn't be surprised if it is accomplished in the next 3 years by at least 1, if not more, company.

A patent is not a right to a monopoly. It means you cannot rip off another person's work but it doesn't mean you can't create a competing product/service.

• Options

Has anyone else submitted to TAG since this thread popped?
    I imagine not many will since they have a narrow window if cards to have graded.

• Options

They are now open to anytime grading and the window is open to 89' and up now.