Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Post a submission that did not produce the anticipate outcome- Turkiye 1874 20 Kurush

coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 15, 2023 11:28AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I missed a scratch that was somewhat hidden on this one. While the coin exhibits a natural look that is attractive to some- but not all, it did not straight grade. I am certain this issue... among others... will be caught leaving a simple question.... Coinkat- how did you miss this?

And while I do not have what I would consider a plausible answer, this is one that I plan to keep even though it rightfully received an unc details grade. I live and learn from my numismatic miscues. I do not plan to take a mulligan on this one.

Depending how unpopular this thread becomes, I may add another submission at some point.

edits to first paragraph- 8/15/23

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    ClioClio Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭✭

This coin really got me and quite a few of my friends. I was still pretty new to all this and thought since I found a die match it must be real. Looking at it now it's quite clearly fake when viewed in hand and the rims are way off in contrast to a real example. Fortunately it only cost me shipping, grading fees, and my ego.

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

The Irish shilling may have got me, although I would hope I would examine any coin of that expense carefully before buying

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where does it say 20 Kurush?

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 15, 2023 8:36AM

I am generally good at filtering out problem coins, but I'm not a professional grader. So I miss my share of details coins. I'll share a few.

I didn't recognize this one as cleaned. I thought it looked pretty good. There is a small halo effect, but I didn't feel like it was bad.

Here's another cleaned one I missed.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 15, 2023 8:40AM

Here is a 1913-G German Empire 1/2 Mark in MS67 I submitted that got attributed as a 3/3 variety (RPD). As far as I know this was the first 3/3 variety attributed and I had not seen reference to it anywhere else. It's fairly common to see small errors like that on German Empire coins, so I don't think much of them or search for them. I normally expect you to have to pay PCGS for variety attribution if you want something like that.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    edited August 15, 2023 11:29AM

Weimar Republic silver coinage often exhibits die polish that adds to the challenge

the 1937 shilling is one tough coin to find

@HoledandCreative

Well you managed to start at a more basic and elementary level- I am unable to read Arabic calligraphy. I was sort of treating this one with the understanding that size matters... So I really am on a solid path whereby I will not meet goals... LOL

I still like the coin despite the scratch

• Options

@coinkat said:
    Weimar Republic silver coinage often exhibits die polish that adds to the challenge

the 1937 shilling is one tough coin to find

@HoledandCreative

Well you managed to start at a more basic and elementary level- I am unable to read Arabic calligraphy. I was sort of treating this one with the understanding that size matters... So I really am on a solid path whereby I will not meet goals... LOL

I still like the coin despite the scratch

Not sure if you did or not but be sure to check the spoiler tag for grade result.

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• Options
    edited August 15, 2023 11:48AM

Didn't look yet-

Looked...

OMG... didn't see that coming.

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Clio - Ouch! Any inkling at all before submitting?

Here's mine - previously straight graded across the street. I cracked out and examined, and saw no issue. But came back as "damaged - mount removed." Still a great coin.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options

@Bob13

Exactly... still a great coin

• Options

@Bob13 said:
    @Clio - Ouch! Any inkling at all before submitting?

Not really sadly. I was pretty hyped up too haha. It's well made I'll give them that.