Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1971 Topps #100 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar /Lew Alcindor

ScrawfordScrawford Posts: 7
edited August 11, 2023 5:30PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Question, I have a 1971 Topps Kareem Abdul-Jabbar/ Lew Alcindor card #100 with an Autograph from Kareem and an Inscription. PSA graded the card at a 6 and the Autograph at a 10.

My question is:
Should I re-slab the card with just an Auto grade, eliminating the card grade of a 6 or do I just keep the slab the way it is which states the card grade of 6 with the Auto grade of 10?

Not sure how to maximize the value of this beautifull card.

Please help.

Comments

• Options

• Options

Than you for the quick response.

I was thinking the card grade is holding back the value.

I've seen some these cards with just the Auto grade asking for much more $$ than what PSA value is on this card.

What do you think my card can sell for?

• Options

Moved from BST.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 11, 2023 8:45PM

@Scrawford said:

I've seen some these cards with just the Auto grade asking for much more $$ than what PSA value is on this card.

What do you mean PSA value on this card? PSA 6 with an auto, or just a PSA 6 no auto? In my mind, a card with an auto but no card grade means the card is going to grade low. Now if this was a modern card, that might mean a PSA 7 or lower, but for a card of that year, I'd think a psa 4 or worse. So I would think a PSA 6 with auto would at the very least sell for the same as just an authentic with auto grade, but really should be more, but maybe not a ton more, since a PSA 6 is just a couple hundred. Now, if he would have signed it Lew Alcindor!! :D

• Options

In your opinion should I just keep it the slab the way it is with card grade of 6 and the auto grade 10 (or) should I have PSA take off card grade and leave the Auto grade of 10.

Note:
    The card I have has Kareem's "full name" on it and states (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar with an Inscription of "1971 NBA MVP" on it, which I haven't seen on other 1971 Topps #100 cards.
    Most of his autos just say "Abdul-Jabbar and don't have an Inscription.

*See picture link below.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Look forward to hearing more on what to do, if anything.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 11, 2023 11:53PM

I would keep it, it legitimizes the condition of the card, though I think it should have been at least a 6.5! The tilt kept it from a 7...

I'm gonna help you out with your pics!

• Options

Thank you for your help.

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭

What a cool item

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only a very small percentage of my collection is basketball. I have no idea what the dollar value of that is, or what you "should do" to maximize a sale price, if you do indeed intend to sell it.

Having said that, if that was mine, I would leave it exactly as it is. The eye appeal is outstanding. Unlike modern day autographs, that Kareem is a nice clean auto, very legible (I mean, duh, it did grade a 10, although I've seen modern 10 autos that leave me thinking what the...?), and the inscription makes it even more awesome. Great card that you have.

• Options
    4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Keep as is.
    Great choice of ink.
    Goes well with your card.

Forum members on ignore
    Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
    daltex

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great card. I’d leave it exactly as is.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

Leave it!

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

keep it just the way it is. great card

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every time I see a card with just the auto grade and nothing for the card grade (or just "authentic" for the card) my first thought it "something's rotten in Denmark. Card must have a pinhole or brutal wrinkle somewhere."

But a beauty of a 6? That's nice even without the auto. You would be losing money taking the card grade off.

Arthur

• Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭

I love everything about that card!!!

I wouldn’t change a thing!!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

leave it

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭✭

If you’re concerned about the 6, I’ll buy the card. PM me.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

Ahmanfan,,,,what would you offer for the 1971 Topps Kareem Abdul-Jabbar card?