Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Truck loads of cards!

JoenadoJoenado Posts: 5

My father in law passed. He did card shows in the 80's and earl 90's. There is 100's of the big 18x16 boxes. Looking to try and sell them all together. I reached out to a local card shop and they told me to go through them and look for the good cards I tried to explain that I Don't Know a lot about cards and how do You look through what looks to me to be hundreds of thousands of cards. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

condition is a big item. Buying thousands of cards unseen is a huge risk unless it's like $100 for the all of them. Commons are near impossible to get rid of. Unless they are 50 years old or more.

Either you sell them on the cheap or you take the time to pull out the good ones. IF they are older cards, 50 years old or more than you might get something for them. 1980's cards, especially baseball will be very hard to unload.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

Find a "friend" to help you. But if he did card shows, anything good for the most part would be in a cardsaver/sleeve of some type, not mixed in with 1000's of cards in boxes, unless that is what is also in those boxes. If there are some, take some pics of a batch or two.

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:
    Find a "friend" to help you. But if he did card shows, anything good for the most part would be in a cardsaver/sleeve of some type, not mixed in with 1000's of cards in boxes, unless that is what is also in those boxes. If there are some, take some pics of a batch or two.

Okay Thanks. There is lots of binders. And boxes of cards in hard sleeves.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2023 2:30PM

Show pictures here.
    Easier to understand than just words.

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2023 8:28PM

Welcome to the forum. Good luck, hopefully you have a decent collection between all the 80's and 90's stuff.

Mark

• Options

@Joenado said:

Okay Thanks. There is lots of binders. And boxes of cards in hard sleeves.

You could maybe show us some pics of first pages of the binders and maybe some random hard sleeved cards to get started. What city are you in?

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Concentrate on the pre 80’s cards. He probably had tons of commons to sort through at shows.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

How many people think he actually has the cards? But yes, if he's going to scam someone, it will be someone who sent him a PM.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options

@nam812 said:
    How many private messages do you think this guy got already? :D

2 so far.

• Options

@dallasactuary said:
    How many people think he actually has the cards? But yes, if he's going to scam someone, it will be someone who sent him a PM.

The video file is to big. Here are some ss of the video.

• Options

@dallasactuary said:

Scam ? How? Not like I am planning on shipping 500+ boxes of cards. 🤡 My post wasn't really a sales post. I was looking for advice on how to deal with all these cards.
    But definitely thanks for your help!

• Options
    edited July 28, 2023 10:39PM

Let's focus on what is in those binders, because all the years and sports and brand combinations I see on the outside of those boxes are some of the most worthless in the history of collecting!! All junk wax era! Might make more money with an insurance fire!!

• Options

You won’t know what you have until you go through each box and binder.

If we were to guess from what’s written on the outside of the boxes then you won’t like the answer. Most of it will be worthless…

Open each box. Take a nice big picture. Post it on here. You will have your answer.
    Same with the binders.

Good luck!!!

• Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

Honestly, I'm sorry this has happened to you. If the labels on the boxes are correct, you would have to give them away or pay someone to take them. It would take months of full-time work to go through each box to pull out anything of value, and that's IF you knew what you were looking for.
    As mentioned, try to take some pictures of what's in the binders, and pictures of individual cards in plastic holders as those would have held the higher valued cards of the era. Good luck!

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2023 7:13AM

@dallasactuary said:

Honestly at this point anyone on this forum who falls for any Card scam that preys on greed likley deserves it.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2023 11:49AM

As for the collection at hand looks like it would be a long, possible multi-decade slow grind effort for someone to turn a profit . Sorry for your and you wife's loss joenado and wishing you all the best dispatching the collection

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree I don't like what I see written on the boxes. Commons of those sets shown are IMPOSSIBLE to unload. Rookie cards of HOF'ers may be worth pulling out if they're in mint or near mint condition with good centering. As others say, go through the binders and small odd boxes one by one. Hopefully all won't be the same as pictured.

It'll be a challenge - don't expect that to be a quick sale unless you are willing to accept a trivial amount. On the bright side, you now have something to do on those rainy days.

Mark

• Options
    Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

There's a guy on these boards who makes incredible art out of common cards. Search for him. He always needs tons of commons. Maybe he'd take the whole lot off your hands.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2023 6:35PM

Burn it all
    Jk but build a house out of it
    So many cars

• Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭

Looks like a lot of mass produced 1980's cards. List them on the facebook baseball card page for $5 a box and maybe you can find local buyer.

• Options
    RidethelightningRidethelightning Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2023 6:13AM

Wait one goddang minute here. Those beers in the middle of all that look to not have been popped yet. The tabs look intact !

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly, I’d just do a cursory look for any non mass produced stuff and donate the other 99% for a good tax deduction. Highest ROI on your time, IMHO.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    STLKabongSTLKabong Posts: 64 ✭✭✭

@Ridethelightning said:
    Wait one goddang minute here. Those beers in the middle of all that look to not have been popped yet. The tabs look intact !

Daytona 1991 beer cans just might be more valuable than any cards!

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭✭

Might get lucky and have some 1986 football. Maybe some 1989 Score Football.

Look for 1996 Topps Basketball. If he stopped selling around that time, then there still could be Kobe RC's mixed in.

There are still some sets that could be mixed in that era that make it worth at least a look.

• Options
    sportscardstopsportscardstop Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

What state are you in? I know a place in IL that pays $5/5000 count box. Not much but you can unload it all in one place. Or put it on Craigslist for similar pricing