Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1997 reserve collection - lots of activity recently

Hi there - anyone tracking these 1997 score reserve collection?

Lots of recent sales of commons for big $….

What do folks know about them?

Seem pretty rare and only occasional ones pop up on eBay but activity has been brisk lately?

Comments

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

The late 1990s pinnacle football parallels are popular. Those boxes are good deals if you can find them for less than $80.

Mike
  • Options
    WillymacWillymac Posts: 204 ✭✭✭

Resurfacing this - been a lot of baseball activity lately on eBay - Will Clark going for 250-300….anyone know definitive production numbers for these - pop reports are single digits (most have 0 pop and stars are 1 or maybe single digit). Seem set up for some nice appreciation given the run of the 90’s high grade foil cards…

No one seems to know much about them and they rarely show up on eBay….

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2023 8:30PM

b

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    PNWcollectorPNWcollector Posts: 302 ✭✭✭✭

@ndleo said:
    The late 1990s pinnacle football parallels are popular. Those boxes are good deals if you can find them for less than $80.

Love me some dufex cards, especially artist's proofs. Those are some cool-looking cards, both baseball and football.

• Options
  • Options

Ok well the response tells me that no one else has a clue either which means these are something to watch and nibble at

;-)

• Options
    jimqjimq Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

It might be that people don't know much about them because they don't care about them. Eventually they might catch on like PMG cards and you'll be rich. But if people looked at them and saw how hard they are to get, maybe they thought forget it or I'll just get the guy I want and you can't give the commons away.

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

I might have to dig through my 90's star cards box and hopefully I will find one or two.

• Options

@jimq said:
    It might be that people don't know much about them because they don't care about them. Eventually they might catch on like PMG cards and you'll be rich. But if people looked at them and saw how hard they are to get, maybe they thought forget it or I'll just get the guy I want and you can't give the commons away.

I see your comment and raise you a 1991 fleer Ken Griffey jr with a combined pop count over 500…..for these to have a grand total pop of 2 psa graded 1997 score reserve collection Ken griffey jr…….2 psa graded griffeys, 1 regular and 1 checklist….

Hmmmmmmm

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2023 7:43PM

@Willymac said:

@jimq said:

I see your comment and raise you a 1991 fleer Ken Griffey jr with a combined pop count over 500…..for these to have a grand total pop of 2 psa graded 1997 score reserve collection Ken griffey jr…….2 psa graded griffeys, 1 regular and 1 checklist….

Hmmmmmmm

Where are you getting those numbers? I see 18 PSA graded #499 and 7 graded #548.
    The #499 Reserve, for example, is the highest pop of all the Showcase, Artist proof, parallel varieties of that card.

• Options

That’s the regular - the reserve collection is HR499 - go all the way to the last page - these are 100% foil front cards with frosted starburst pattern

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭

@Willymac said:
    That’s the regular - the reserve collection is HR499 - go all the way to the last page - these are 100% foil front cards with frosted starburst pattern

OK. Thought they were calling them Hobby Reserve. Strange only 1 Griffey graded while 12 Jeters were. What were the pull odds? Baseballcardpedia says 1:11. Doesn't seem that tough.

• Options

Yeah - hence my question on the thread - it doesn’t seem like those odds are correct - something isn’t stirring the koolaid - lol

I know someone that has been looking for a version of one of those cards (major star) for 25 years….

• Options
    junkwaxgemsjunkwaxgems Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

@Willymac said:
    Yeah - hence my question on the thread - it doesn’t seem like those odds are correct - something isn’t stirring the koolaid - lol

I know someone that has been looking for a version of one of those cards (major star) for 25 years….

These only came out of Hobby Reserve boxes which were more expensive IIRC. I opened a three or four in 2009-2010 and pulled two reserve collection commons.

fka jacksoncoupage, comc.com: junkwaxgems, ebay: junkwaxgems
  • Options

Thanks!!! Given what these are going for now, I am curious if folks on this board can go look and see how many they actually have and who has the key cards….seems like stars only come up in waves….nothing for years, then a period of time where several pop on eBay at once…then they are gone for years again….

• Options
    junkwaxgemsjunkwaxgems Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

They used to get some decent discussion about ten years ago on freedomcardboard. Lots of player collectors seeking their guys. I regret selling the Irabu I picked up on comc 5-6 years ago.

fka jacksoncoupage, comc.com: junkwaxgems, ebay: junkwaxgems