Home Q & A Forum
Options

What has been your experience with submitting for Crossover?

I have a few NGC, ANACS, ICG holdered coins I and considering sending to PCGS for crossover to PCGS.
My concern is that if I submit, requesting that they cross at listed grade, I may be getting them all sent back to me, wasting my time and money.

So, what has been your experience? Have they crossed at the grade you expected, or did you just waste your time and money?

Collector of what ever looks good to me today.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    UncleDanoUncleDano Posts: 85 ✭✭

Wow, is there no one out there that has any experience with sending coins to be crossed over?

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

Howdy. How bout posting a few pics of the coins you speak of. Close in focus are best. What grade are they now? Have you scrutinized both sides to confirm a grade? Do you have any potential sliders? Inquiring minds want to know. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun

• Options

Can do, but it will take a little while to get good photos. No, no possible sliders, all are higher grade coins.
    I know I need to do my own evaluation and grading of these coins, and I can fairly accurately (in my mind), before I determine if they should be submitted for crossover. But the problem is that my grading standards will not necessarily agree with someone else's or a TPG's standards.

• Options
    edited June 9, 2023 9:58PM

Lighting is not the best, but here is a few photos.
    Here is a 1957 D Roosevelt Dime:

This is a 1939 D Rev.38 Jefferson:

This is a 1949 D/S Jefferson:

You tell me what you think the grades are for these and if you think they would look better in a PCGS holder.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 10, 2023 6:06AM

PCGS posts their statistics for successful crossovers. For the past 30 days it’s only 36%.

The problem is there is no breakdown between requests to cross at current grade, requests at a higher grade, or requests to cross at a lower grade. This 36% is a combined blend of all crossover submissions, as I understand it. As such, based ONLY on that statistic, most coins don’t cross.

Separately, I don’t believe you stated the grade of the coins in your photos. I’m not good at grading, but they all seemed to have a lot of hits. Maybe it pays to sell your coins, and buy ones in the grades you want in PCGS holders?

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 18,398 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 10, 2023 5:44AM

Disregard

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 18,398 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disregard

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options

winesteven: " Maybe it pays to sell your coins, and buy ones in the grades you want in PCGS holders"

Coins like the 1949 D/S in MS67 (pop 6), you do not see that often, so you buy it when you find one, regardless of holder. The 39D is even tougher to find in MS68.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UncleDano said:
    winesteven: " Maybe it pays to sell your coins, and buy ones in the grades you want in PCGS holders"

Coins like the 1949 D/S in MS67 (pop 6), you do not see that often, so you buy it when you find one, regardless of holder. The 39D is even tougher to find in MS68.

So then submit to cross, as you implied that’s what you want to try. All I’m saying is you may not have a high chance of success, that’s all.

Being you raised the question of crossing to PCGS, apparently you recognize the market differences between TPG’s. Let us know how you make out. If you choose not to spend the money, then be satisfied with your holders. However, you’ll then always wonder if PCGS graders handling crossovers agree with the current grade assigned to your coins.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996