Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Will there be monthly specials going forward?

Do you think there will be monthly specials going forward after February? Some $15 deal - just different eras? Do you think there will one every month, or will it just be periodically?

Comments

• Options
    azvikeazvike Posts: 356 ✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2023 9:17AM

Objection, Your Honor!....calls for speculation! (not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last might...)

• Options
    johfrjohfr Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

Purely speculation but....... At the lowest current regular rate of $19 per card it makes it very difficult to submit anything with a value below $100. With many commons from the 60's and 70's selling for only $15-$25 in 8's you just can't pay $19 per card. The people making decisions at PSA are pretty darn smart and I'm sure they know that they will have to run specials in order to keep the set registry going. I imagine there will be more specials in those areas as we move forward.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that the new lower prices for high-mid grades will cause PSA to have more deals. I'd assume (!) they can't survive just on ultra modern and cards that people think are 9/10s. They'll need the volume at some point to overcome the lack of submissions.

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

I hope so! I hated the quarterly specials. Too long of a wait if they ran something that you didn't have interest in.

• Options

I called them today and last week, as a new member this month, asking if they notify members a week or so ahead of a new promotion and they said no.

Nothing more frustrating than having a few hundred cards you may want to grade and waiting for the new special. Wish they would tell us the next 2 or 3 promotions.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I paid $4.50 a couple of times.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:

and got them back in 2 weeks

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭
    20458205    5025769 12/02/10    12/02/10    12/06/10

9121969007312005674901 Completed 50

Or less...... arrived & entered 12-2, shipped 12-6. Yep, once upon a time.

• Options

@billwaltonsbeard said:

@olb31 said:

and got them back in 2 weeks

It took you that long to get them back? Wow you must have been at the bottom of the list. LOL!!!!

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Economy hasn't even corrected yet, employment is still ripping. It will take a recession to really slow demand and bring prices back down. I think we are at least a year out from deals that make sense for a submitter like me - 500 cards, sub 200 value. I am in Canada so anything above 12 bucks, with currency conversion and shipping is $20 CAD. Just doesn't make sense, and until it does, will continue to stack raw cards (7 x 87 OPC sets from vending last week!).

• Options
    StatmanStatman Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

Honestly, I don't even mind spending $15 - just depends on the special. I doubt it will go much lower for a long time. I can't see $10 ever again - maybe a few specials at $12? I'd rather $15 and get it back in 4-6 weeks than $10 and have to wait a year.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ill wait a year to grade 1960s Nm or better commons. Those are not making current history so prices stay pretty steady.

• Options

Yeah, $15 for a decent turnaround, sounds fair. I'm still of the opinion, especially for 1989 and back commons, that unless the card grades a 9 or 10, don't holder and just send it back. Hard to get rid of the 1982 Topps commons in PSA 8. i t would be easier to just put them in a raw set.

Thus $5 for no holder (i.e. psa 8 or lower), $15 for holdered ones (PSA 9 or 10).

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:
    Yeah, $15 for a decent turnaround, sounds fair. I'm still of the opinion, especially for 1989 and back commons, that unless the card grades a 9 or 10, don't holder and just send it back. Hard to get rid of the 1982 Topps commons in PSA 8. i t would be easier to just put them in a raw set.

Thus $5 for no holder (i.e. psa 8 or lower), $15 for holdered ones (PSA 9 or 10).

Perhaps you don't understand what PSA's business is.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭

Do they ever have specials on oddball stuff?
    I have '64 Topps Coins, '64 Topps Giants, '67 Topps Pinups, '85 Fun Food pins, along with various 80's and 90's uncut card panels, jumbo cards, and 8x10 cards I was hoping to sub.
    They aren't exactly high value items, but $75-$105 to grade each of these is INSANITY!!

• Options

@daltex said:

@olb31 said:

SUre I do. Make money as easy and fast as you can. Isn't that everyones?

• Options

Plus what are you going to do with your 1978 Paul Splitorff PSA 6 in a slab?

• Options
    Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

@RonSportscards said:
    I have '64 Topps Coins, '64 Topps Giants, '67 Topps Pinups, '85 Fun Food pins, along with various 80's and 90's uncut card panels, jumbo cards, and 8x10 cards I was hoping to sub.
    They aren't exactly high value items, but $75-$105 to grade each of these is INSANITY!!

yeah, I have a bunch of Sportscaster cards I would like to get graded. I guess I am nor even sure what the "normal" current price is to get these cards graded

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:

@daltex said:

@olb31 said:

That's hardly anyone's. Most people have ethics, whether as a salvation issue or as a practical one.

• Options

@Kepper19 said:

@RonSportscards said:

yeah, I have a bunch of Sportscaster cards I would like to get graded. I guess I am nor even sure what the "normal" current price is to get these cards graded

Reading old posts, members are saying it falls under "Supersized".
    Also in those older posts, they mentioned special pricing of $12ea Supersized card, and today's price for Supersized is $75.
    So yeah, I hope that $75 is not the new normal.
    I was really hoping that Vintage $15 bulk was for any size.

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

The '64 Topps Giants would qualify for the vintage special..... tallboys.

• Options
    StatmanStatman Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

So.....that was disappointing. Just extending the non-sport special. I was hoping for at least some sports-related special.

• Options

@sayheywyo said:
    The '64 Topps Giants would qualify for the vintage special..... tallboys.

Wow. I can't believe I missed that! Well, too late now.

• Options

@Statman said:
    So.....that was disappointing. Just extending the non-sport special. I was hoping for at least some sports-related special.

Seriously!
    PSA = Professional Sports Authenticator

They could have at least added SOMETHING sports related that is very specific, where they probably wouldn't get flooded with subs, if they are so backlogged.
    Like, only cards from 1957, or only Crane discs, or only 1964 Topps Coins, or ......
    C'mon PSA !!

• Options
    johfrjohfr Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

@RonSportscards said:

@Statman said:

Seriously!
    PSA = Professional Sports Authenticator

They could have at least added SOMETHING sports related that is very specific, where they probably wouldn't get flooded with subs, if they are so backlogged.
    Like, only cards from 1957, or only Crane discs, or only 1964 Topps Coins, or ......
    C'mon PSA !!

I think they heard you. They just added a Soccer Ticket grading special. Yep, now they'll get flooded with millions of Soccer tickets.

• Options

@daltex said:

@olb31 said:

@daltex said:

@olb31 said:

That's hardly anyone's. Most people have ethics, whether as a salvation issue or as a practical one.

Unfortunately, most big businesses such as Drug companies, social media sites, Big Tech companies, are in business for other reasons than "ethics". and i'm talking billions of dollars and trillions of dollars.

PSA wants a good product, but also wants to maximize profits, just as any other business wants to do. That's why they added many new lines of product grading. But don't fool yourself into thinking that out of the goodness of their heart that they will lower grading prices to $8 just to help out the set registry guys or whomever. they have massive overhead, new technology, etc. these things aren't free. $15 is it and that might not be around for very long.

Beckett is at $16.