Home Sports Talk
Options

Congratulations to the Houston Astros!!

MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

World Series Champions again, four games to two over the Philadelphia Phillies. Congratulations!!! B)

Maywood.

Comments

• Options
    charliej2356charliej2356 Posts: 278 ✭✭✭

" Congratulations!!! " Really? Did you watch the game? Did you see Martin Maldonado's "at-bat"? Bogus.

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2022 8:45PM

@charliej2356 said:
    " Congratulations!!! " Really? Did you watch the game? Did you see Martin Maldonado's "at-bat"? Bogus.

Yes, I saw the game - including Alvarez' 3-run dinger that put the game away regardless of Maldonado's HBP.

Congratulations are also in order to Jeremy Peña. That young man has a bright future indeed.

Go 'Stros!

• Options

What does that huge "H" stand for? Certainly not Honor. I hope this gets talked about before Houston completely ruins baseball.

• Options

What does that huge "H" stand for? Certainly not Honor. I hope this gets talked about before Houston completely ruins baseball.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

I declare charliej2356 the all-time champion in making a mountain out of a molehill. No wait, not a molehill; making a mountain out of absolutely nothing at all. There was nothing wrong, let alone dishonorable (LOL), about that at bat. Nothing.

By the way, how much money did you have on that game? Enough to eliminate your last shred of objectivity, obviously. If it was enough to eliminate your last shred of dignity, too, then (i) I'm sorry this is happening to you, and (2) keep posting about this meaningless at bat.

Oh, and congratulations to the Houston Astros!

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    fightfraud24fightfraud24 Posts: 72 ✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2022 10:28PM

Oh please. What have the Astros ever done for them not to be perceived to be the cleanest team,
    the most loved team, as well as the only team who deserves to be worshiped in baseball. (wink, wink)

P.S. Pena does look damn good.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2022 10:33PM

The better team won.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

I think Dusty Baker said it best in his post game interview, the team has gotten past that "cheating scandal" and now it's time for the fans to get past it.

• Options

Maywood wrote: "... the team has gotten past that "cheating scandal" and now it's time for the fans to get past it."

You are wrong in several ways. MLB will surely examine the video footage, broadcast their conclusions, and Houston will be disgraced again.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

As far as I can tell, that at bat was fine. His feet appear in. Are they? He is definitely crowding the plate, but I think you can do that.

But I am not happy they won. They were never punished, but as I've said that is because MLB couldn't punish them. That is because to punish cheaters they would have not enough players left to field enough teams.

• Options

I can't believe you guys are forcing me onto @charliej2356 's team, but I am unhappy with the Astros winning and will not congratulate them. If you are a fan, I'm not upset with you. It's the team. The fans are the ones suffering.

• Options

Thank you, thisistheshow. Martin Maldonado's antics should not be a part of any game. It's simply ridiculous.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

@charliej2356 said:
    Maywood wrote: "... the team has gotten past that "cheating scandal" and now it's time for the fans to get past it."

You are wrong in several ways. MLB will surely examine the video footage, broadcast their conclusions, and Houston will be disgraced again.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen Charlie. But if you want to spend all day waiting for MLB
    to cut into regularly scheduled programming with an urgent report on the 'Antics of Martin Maldonado' then
    of course its well within your rights to do so.

• Options

Darin: Do you understand "spirit of the rule"? See the George Brett "pine-tar incident" and you'll begin to understand.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

charlie, roughly 5% of your posts in 4.5 years are centered around this minutiae. there's no other logical explanation for you to continue to wallow in it outside of you parting ways with some coin. it happens if you gamble, bro. let it go. any impartial observer of that series was able to recognize that the best team won, history be damned.

• Options

galaxy27 wrote: "any impartial observer of that series was able to recognize that the best team won, "

No argument here. The Astros are better than the Phillies. BUT, the best team doesn't always win -- that's why they play the games.

• Options

Well, in this case the best team did win after they played the games.

• Options

Maywood: You simply don't get it. The Astros were losing at the time of the incident.

• Options

I watched the at bat a few times. It looks like he is within the batters box. Am I wrong? What i the rule? Are you saying @charliej2356 that there is a rule that he was supposed to move? I think that what i happening is he severely crowded the box. Bonds used to do that for example. I am unhappy with the organization for the cheating.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

Astros deserved this championship. Even if there was a HBP that could have been avoided, that would still make last night a 3-1 win.
    Poor decision by Rob Thomson for taking out Zack Wheeler while he was throwing a shutout in the 6th inning but that's what the sport has come to. He even admitted Zack has a lot left but wanted the 'lefty-lefty' matchup. Boom! Three run homer. You'd think he would have learned from earlier in the week when he brought in that same lefty with the bases loaded to face the same lefty hitter whom he promptly hit with a pitch to score a run (and then let the other two inherited batters score).
    I would love it if baseball went back to letting starters pitch 7-8 innings.

Daniel
  • Options

@charliej2356 said:
    Thank you, thisistheshow. Martin Maldonado's antics should not be a part of any game. It's simply ridiculous.

I'm not agreeing with you about Maldonado. I just agree that the Astros are cheaters.

• Options

thisistheshow: Think of the incident in a way similar to "a catcher blocking the plate as a runner attempts to score". Rules change when a team violates the "spirit of the rule".

• Options

BaltimoreYankee wrote: "Astros deserved this championship. Even if there was a HBP that could have been avoided, that would still make last night a 3-1 win."

Sorry, but you're wrong. That HBP changed the complexion of the inning -- COMPLETELY changed everything.

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭

Now that the World Series is over with we can get the hot stove league warmed up.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

@charliej2356 said:
    Sorry, but you're wrong. That HBP changed the complexion of the inning -- COMPLETELY changed everything.

Yeah, that stuff I wrote about you losing your last shred of dignity? You should have read it. I don't know you, but I am so embarrassed for you at this point that I'm not opening this thread again. This is just painful.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭

@fightfraud24 said:
    Oh please. What have the Astros ever done for them not to be perceived to be the cleanest team,
    the most loved team, as well as the only team who deserves to be worshiped in baseball. (wink, wink)

Well, do they wash their face and neck and behind their ears real good? :blush:

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    I watched the at bat a few times. It looks like he is within the batters box. Am I wrong? What i the rule? Are you saying @charliej2356 that there is a rule that he was supposed to move?

Yes. Hitters are required to make an effort to get out of the way. In still photos, you can see Maldonado pulled his elbow in, thus meeting that requirement.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

Raise an ale to the trash can bangers.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, all I can say is I am not surprised. I spent too many mornings driving up I45 listening to commentary on 610 am about how they tanked for a few years to build back better and put everything in place for a sustainable high level. And it seems to have worked. Kudos to them and the management who designed this, only prob is, lived in H-town for 21 years but never endeared myself to them. Always will be a Giants fan, this will not ever change. My H-town buds tho' are pretty psyched right now. And I have to say tho', I have been at games in a dozen MLB ball parks and Minute Maid was the worst, what gives?

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...