Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Mr Expert, What's left to learn? Don't we know everything about early American copper

tacocat1972tacocat1972 Posts: 31
edited October 21, 2022 9:48AM in U.S. Coin Forum

So what is left to learn? Most would
say nothing ,though I would say a lot. For instance how would you feel to learn that the Judd5
has another version that contained the obverse of a classic head and the reverse of a judge 5 gwtp. Maybe you would be more intrigued by the fact that Joseph Wright the first engraver to us mint actually designed the Coronet draped classic head and maybe more and received no acknowledgment. My claim is true based on my research (see photos below/) but If you don't believe me just ask an expert. I have to say I find if you have a question there are a hundred experts with an answer, but which is correct? It's easy to get answers to a question but are those answers rooted in knowledge or is it just opinion. All to many times I've been faced with this issue on a number of forums, you ask a question only to be given an answer that either skirted or only addressed a portion of it. My favorite answer is the one repeated by everyone in the conversation and given straight from a book someone else researched and wrote. Not to say all book answers are wrong, but without any research behind it's answer you might find it's just someone's opinion based on what was known at the time or popularly believed. Now we can't forget the availability of new technology when addressing what is current knowledge on a subject. This doesn't even take into account the authors credibility. We can take the credibility two authors we should all know well, Dr Sheldon and Walter Breen.
If I were to tell you that there are coins that were created by the first US mint engraver who's existence were never published. 230ysars later, you may consider me a quack asking only how it could be possible that after all this time no one had ever noticed. So what would you say if I told you that there is a coin misattributed to another engraver. Some might laugh and say that given experts such as Sheldon and breen have covered any and all coins through years of research. So what makes this assumption correct and how can we be assured that their research has left all possibilities covered. The truth is we can't. Granted there is only so much research we can do to find the answers we're looking for giving no new information. But it's only through our own research that we are able to give an educated answer based on knowledge. All too many times I have found that there are those who would research till they felt they had learned all they could yet failed to keep an open mind to new information or revisiting the subject altogether . The problem with the closed mind is there's no room for new learning which sometimes leaves us overlooking the obvious, Let's go back to the first engraver example. Let's say that I have provided photos of these coins and at first glance you find they resemble already established types. Most would have to agree that looking at them and by all appearance they must be the type they resemble. Why is it that this would be considered an assumption rather than a fact? The reason for this is that the assumption is made based on an opinion as opposed to fact. With your answer given, I explain that the coins in question are similar yet have distinct differences from what you have claimed them to be be. There are those who would choose to accept they can't explain and there are those who would choose to argue against the obvious. So why is it if I have a Morgan that appears to be in the likeness of a hot lips variety we say that this can't be based on what is known of its description, yet we can say that a coin is something it clearly isn't based on an assumption? I explained to you that though there are no real firm records of these coins there are two accounts from which only the slightest mention of the coins existence were revealed to others but very little was known. This photos produced by new technology and new information are examples as to why more research should be called for before passing judgment or given and uneducated answer. I think most everyone knows Dr Sheldon's deception in the case of coins entrusted to him being switched so I don't feel the need to dive into that nor do I feel it all that necessary to re-examine Mr breens preference for children or his support of a club such as NAMBLA. What I will say about them is their choices in life leave me feeling as though they are untrustworthy in any way that would be honorable to their work. Don't get me wrong that's not to say that we shouldn't take their research and apply it where possible or that we should dishonor ourselves withholding credit for their work cited. Instead I feel that we should build on that research again using new technology and new information to establish new answers. The first 3 photos are of a 1792 classic head type with a Judd5 GWPt Reverse. Every image obverse and reverse are made through the use of multiple eagles holding shields atop a half globe and Joseph Wrights name. The fourth image minted 1792 is actually a Joseph Wright designed Draped bust type whose obverse is the same as the Judd5 again being made up from the same eagles a top globe. The next couple of images are of a coronet head type again mint date 1792 designed by Wright as a pattern for a quarter and being made up in the same manner as the others the reverse is actually damaged the traces of the eagles are still visible along with the word quarter and number 25. I could go on but I'm tired so here it is, my research has revealed to me what is here are there any experts here willing to have an open mind access to equipment if need and a desire to learn through a little research? If so I'm not opposed to providing access to the examples in order to close this matter or prove my claim. Or will we continue in the manner I've began to grow accustomed to?

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not Mr Expert. I'm just adding to my post count because blitzdude has me fuming over calling silver : "gutter metal". Your coins reminded me of that. I hope you get better results here.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tacocat1972 ... You lost me at "...the use of multiple eagles holding shields atop a half globe..." Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another new name.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that word salad was heavy on the seeds, stems and some worms. Another troll account trying to tell us there is a 1792 date somewhere, even though it only exists on your keyboard.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

You lost me right after I opened the thread and saw the large block of continuous solid typing... .....way to difficult to try to wade through it. But I will give you kudos for not using all cap letters like some have done.

Paragraphs and getting to a point quickly are useful to get better responses on the forum.

----- kj
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

But hopefully someone will be able to help you with your post.

----- kj
  • Options

@ricko said:
    @tacocat1972 ... You lost me at "...the use of multiple eagles holding shields atop a half globe..." Cheers, RickO

This is to give you an idea of what is actually going on within each photo it is just a pattern of similar objects look at it this way her curls are actually globes this is also why her face is circular unlike any other liberty

• Options

@jesbroken said:
    Another new name.
    Jim

Name is Jeremy actually and I had to start a new profile for reasons other than hiding.

• Options

@Floridafacelifter said:
    When you ramble on please use paragraphs.

What are you my English teacher, well listen here teach I hated school dropout at the second day of sophomore year so at test time I'll expect to be graded on a curve sorry I guess this sentence is a run-on huh

• Options

@ElmerFusterpuck said:
    Wow, that word salad was heavy on the seeds, stems and some worms. Another troll account trying to tell us there is a 1792 date somewhere, even though it only exists on your keyboard.

Would you like a little dressing or maybe some crackers news flash this isn't a cafeteria but here's a little food for thought unless you can contribute something of value it will be like burnt toast tossed. See my key board has all kind of keys> @tincup said:

You lost me right after I opened the thread and saw the large block of continuous solid typing... .....way to difficult to try to wade through it. But I will give you kudos for not using all cap letters like some have done.

Paragraphs and getting to a point quickly are useful to get better responses on the forum.

I do what I can

• Options

Please anyone feeling the need for ahead and proof read my post mark all corrections or errors such as missing periods no indent ect.ect.ect. when done pat your self on the back and have someone put it on the fridge for you. Sorry another run-on sentence. Seriously people how about a little focus.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,556 ✭✭✭✭✭

God willing this wont last long.... just saying

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

I say this with an open heart, not to troll and not to insult. You need to reach out for some professional help.

https://www.mentalhealth.gov/get-help/immediate-help

• Options

@lermish said:
    I say this with an open heart, not to troll and not to insult. You need to reach out for some professional help.

Seriously wow how do I begin to address that. I know let me start with this, the ignorance that comes from the lips of some still amaze me. Do you know me have we sat somewhere and had coffee and conversation? Wait no the connection must be the coins . Tell me if you will where have you held the coins and observed them or spent time researching them. What's that you haven't, but you have the gall to suggest I might be seeing things. It's a good thing im not, it might have been I was also unstable even dangerous. A professional would tell you they won't diagnose without spending time with someone. So Please Please be careful you never know who might actually be, you know (⁠@⁠_⁠@⁠;⁠). (⁠^⁠~⁠^⁠;⁠)⁠ゞ. (⁠ʘ⁠言⁠ʘ⁠╬⁠). (⁠●⁠´⁠⌓⁠`⁠●⁠)

• Options

@johnny9434 said:
    God willing this wont last long.... just saying

God willing

• Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think we are being punked...

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tacocat1972 said:

@lermish said:

Seriously wow how do I begin to address that. I know let me start with this, the ignorance that comes from the lips of some still amaze me. Do you know me have we sat somewhere and had coffee and conversation? Wait no the connection must be the coins . Tell me if you will where have you held the coins and observed them or spent time researching them. What's that you haven't, but you have the gall to suggest I might be seeing things. It's a good thing im not, it might have been I was also unstable even dangerous. A professional would tell you they won't diagnose without spending time with someone. So Please Please be careful you never know who might actually be, you know (⁠@⁠_⁠@⁠;⁠). (⁠^⁠~⁠^⁠;⁠)⁠ゞ. (⁠ʘ⁠言⁠ʘ⁠╬⁠). (⁠●⁠´⁠⌓⁠`⁠●⁠)

It has nothing to do with what may or may not be there with the coins. Posting a long rambling manifesto that touches on conspiracy theories and pedophilia is troubling. I'm not diagnosing anything. Please seek help.

• Options

@GoBust said:
    I think we are being punked...

No your not being punked though some might feel as though they have been

• Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 507 ✭✭✭✭

I’m convinced, get those coins to PCGS as quickly as possible!

• Options

@lermish said:

@tacocat1972 said:

@lermish said:

It has nothing to do with what may or may not be there with the coins. Posting a long rambling manifesto that touches on conspiracy theories and pedophilia is troubling. I'm not diagnosing anything. Please seek help.

Oh but it does it has everything to do with them the post was a way to emphasize the need for some here to give answers based on knowledge and offer the opportunity for the coins to be examined by an expert. Now as far as conspiracies what can be said has there ever been a tine where our government did something and lied afterwards. Let me think, you mean like the Tuskegee experiment or I don't know saywhat happened in Maryland, sleeping prisoners had a pandemic flu virus sprayed up their noses. In Georgia, two dozen “volunteering” prison inmates had gonorrhea bacteria pumped directly into their urinary tracts through the penis. In Michigan, male patients at an insane asylum were exposed to the flu after first being injected with an experimental flu vaccine another reason I refuse to be crazy. I could go on but maybe your right. As for the Pedo, it wasn't me convicted of it. No he was a repeat offender who spent his last days in prison and with any luck he now has a warm place to the toast. I only mentioned any of that as a point of questioning the reliability of someone like that. Guess you might have got that point had I used paragraph.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

Let's try this I will keep it simple as I can. Is the photo of this coin clear enough to see any detail and if so can you see GWPt if so is it possible it could be the reverse of the Judd5?

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is our old friend @SlickCoins who has posted this nonsense a few months ago. Im not sure how he is able to post under a new alias

You HAVE NOT proved any reasonable proof that your severely corroded large cents are new patterns. Rambling paragraphs and colored lines are not proof

If you want your "discovery" acknowledged, write an article for Coin week or one of the numismatic periodicals. Incoherent ramblings on a chat board isn't going to do it

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

Put the bong down!

• Options

Really and I'm the one who gets a warning ?
    D
    Seriously answer the last post can you see GWPt and can it be the reverse of a Judd5?

• Options

I have COPD I can't smoke now answer the question if you can

• Options

@Oldhoopster said:
    This is our old friend @SlickCoins who has posted this nonsense a few months ago. Im not sure how he is able to post under a new alias

Yep and it's kinda crazy how he can admit this ID is an alt and @PCGS_Moderator just closed his last thread and hasn't banned either account. Now he is back today posting stuff like this "prison inmates had gonorrhea bacteria pumped directly into their urinary tracts through the penis." :/

• Options

This post is out of control.
    Please folks, moving forward, stay on the topic of coins.

This discussion has been closed.