Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Two Beckett graded Justin herbert cards sale for over a million dollars..

I feel like buying a million dollars worth of Brady of cards would be money better spent. Just me.

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 12, 2022 9:49AM

Someone should really ask these pumpers

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

It's almost like these cards have transcended the player. It doesn't feel this about Herbert and his potential. It feels more like people need to have a million dollar chase card, and the market sort of manifested it. Herbert just happens to be the guy who ticks the most boxes.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thehallmark said:
    It's almost like these cards have transcended the player. It doesn't feel this about Herbert and his potential. It feels more like people need to have a million dollar chase card, and the market sort of manifested it. Herbert just happens to be the guy who ticks the most boxes.

Interesting.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

olb, Can we get some more info about the million dollar cards?

People have lost their damn minds! Just think if you had invested in a million dollar Andrew Luck Rookie after just 2 seasons!

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

*sell

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

Los Angeles Chargers quarterback Justin Herbert has become the third NFL player to have a card sell for at least $1 million, with two such sales this past week.

A Herbert rookie card -- his 2020 Panini National Treasures Platinum NFL Shield autographed card, numbered 1-of-1 -- sold Saturday night for $1.8 million with buyer's premium via collectables marketplace Goldin.

The card was consigned to Goldin by high-rolling collector Shyne150 (whose name is Matt Allen) and was graded an 8.5 by Beckett Grading Services with a 10 autograph grade.

A 2020 Panini Prizm Black Finite Herbert rookie card, also numbered 1-of-1, sold for $1.1 million earlier in the week. The card was graded a 9 by Beckett Grading Services and was pulled recently by Vortex Sports Cards, acquired by Boston Sports Cards & Co., and sold to a trio of buyers that included high-end collector Jack Elman.

• Options
    TsavoriteSamTsavoriteSam Posts: 62 ✭✭
    edited September 13, 2022 2:46PM

I don’t care if the card was graded 11, 1 of 1 and made of diamonds. There is no way and modern. Are is worth anywhere near $1000000. It’s really disconcerting that someone would even think about it

• Options

Could it be these investment groups who have infinite number of members who own a small % of the card? I can see how this will drive up prices.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man is that risky. I sure hope for the buyer sake Herbert stays nice and healthy over the next 15 years.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    Man is that risky. I sure hope for the buyer sake Herbert stays nice and healthy over the next 15 years.

Can you imagine what a 1 of 1 of Bo Jackson would have gone for back in the day?

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dontippet said:

@craig44 said:

Can you imagine what a 1 of 1 of Bo Jackson would have gone for back in the day?

I remember the Bo phenomenon very well. it could be used as a cautionary tale that it only takes one play to end a career.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@dontippet said:

@craig44 said:

I remember the Bo phenomenon very well. it could be used as a cautionary tale that it only takes one play to end a career.

And Nowdays, that Card would sell for a Few 10's of Thousands on a Good day!!

Mark my words, those Two Herbert cards will be selling in 10 years for a Few Thousand $$$ when he doesn't win any Superbowls and busts out of a few playoff games! Or he could become the Next Montana or Brady.....But Still????!!! Almost 2 Mill!

Don't Buy the Hype!

YeeHaw!!!

Neil

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

~~its a bubble. ~he could win two consecutive SB's and 10 years from now the cards could easily still be worth 70-80% less ...Why? B/c he is priced as if he is Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is a tall order.

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could get a nice Unitas rookie for that.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options

@stwainfan said:
    I could get a nice Unitas rookie for that.

OR Three or Five!!

YeeHaw!

Neil!

• Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2022 4:34AM

That's more than ten times the highest price a comparable ultra modern hockey card has ever sold for ($140K for a PSA 10 Connor McDavid Auto Patch RC from 2015 The Cup back in 2020 #'d out of 99).

Absolutely mind boggling considering McDavid has already established himself as a generational talent with his best years still ahead. I mean I get it, it's a hockey card, different beast entirely, but still crazy...

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jayman1982 said:
    That's more than ten times the highest price a comparable ultra modern hockey card has ever sold for ($140K for a PSA 10 Connor McDavid Auto Patch RC from 2015 The Cup back in 2020 #'d out of 99).

Absolutely mind boggling considering McDavid has already established himself as a generational talent with his best years still ahead. I mean I get it, it's a hockey card, different beast entirely, but still crazy...

It really is crazy, it's high stakes gambling!

At least McDavid has 5 good years in before that sale, Herbert only had two.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bolts win tonight: $25 meelyun OBO w/ $2.47 shipping

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    Bolts win tonight: $25 meelyun OBO w/ $2.47 shipping

Sheesh....25 Mill and the Seller can't even throw in the shipping!!! :D

YeeHaw!

Neil

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just 1 Mil
    I would have paid 2 mil where was it listed!!??
    I always miss the good deals

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can someone post a link to the (an) article?

• Options

i did above. espn has the article, i cut and pasted it above.

• Options

@olb31 said:

Yes. I wanted a link for copyright issues and whatever. I'll check ESPN. Thank you.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

@olb31 said:

Yes. I wanted a link for copyright issues and whatever. I'll check ESPN. Thank you.

WTF? Copyright issues? Are you saying an internet forum cannot freely talk about subjects without giving a copyrighted reference?

If you attempt to quote me, I will be requesting compensation... LOL LOL LOL B)

ClownShowWorld

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

This 1 mil cost/price is less than a super bowl add. Well done
    People will be watching him play now if they didnt.

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2022 12:56PM

@secretstash said:
    Someone should really ask these pumpers

Hey at least he became an All-American kick returner for Bear Bryant and the 'Tide, received the Medal of Honor, and got to meet three Presidents! :blush:

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fanatics will cut out the middleman and just auction the one of ones instead of putting them in packs.

• Options

@secretstash said:

@daltex said:

@olb31 said:

WTF? Copyright issues? Are you saying an internet forum cannot freely talk about subjects without giving a copyrighted reference?

If you attempt to quote me, I will be requesting compensation... LOL LOL LOL B)

ClownShowWorld

There is a huge difference between talking about subjects and reproducing large portions of an article without citation. How do you suppose espn.com makes its money?

• Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 472 ✭✭✭

Remember Andrew Luck? Can't miss QB. Football is a brutal sport and the stats decade to decade are so hard to compare.