Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Comments

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

Am I wrong? I dont think I am.
    Look at the pic on psa.
    https://www.psacard.com/cert/45992780

You can see on the back that the centering isnt the same. Like its croped. But it does have the same stain near the Printed in USA which I find odd.

This is a fake right?
    Scarry

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

Card is a horrible fake. It’s bogus.

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to admit that is a really good fake. Usually, I can spot something off with the label but this one is tough.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sports Card Radio on Youtube just posted a video over the past couple days about Fake cards,PSA & the FBI being involved. I'm not going to post the video for obvious reasons but it sounds like there's more fake cards out there getting passed off as real in PSA holders.

• Options

Dang. Sold for above average price for a 7. Crazy

• Options

Authenticity Guarantee will reject it.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 5, 2022 3:10PM

I do wonder if it will get caught as then eBay loses around $600. Their only intention ever is to make money and this would work against that

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    edited September 5, 2022 4:24PM

I’m more shocked and worried how they used the actual image from the Psa site trying to replicate the same cert image. I hope they bust the group making these.

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

Card looks ok to me. I’m impressed people can determine it’s fake from these crappy photos.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

Crappy photos are the first clue. But yeah sucks. Glad there are steps to help this. I would think 200.00 less are a target now with this process. But they will have to sell way more cheap items which should get them caught eventually

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fake slabs more prevalent by the day. Authenticity guarantee will send these from EBay to the Auction Houses.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@handyman said:
    I’m more shocked and worried how they used the actual image from the Psa site trying to replicate the same cert image. I hope they bust the group making these.

Well, the "certificate" says no reverse cert/barcode but the "card" clearly shows both plus a QR code.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ahmanfan said:
    Card looks ok to me. I’m impressed people can determine it’s fake from these crappy photos.

Looks ok to me too.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

To those that think it's ok, take a look at the reverse on eBay compared to the cert verification on PSA's site. The top edge on the copy that sold has severe tilt/miscut compared to the actual card which has decent centering with a slight tilt.

• Options

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:
    I do wonder if it will get caught as then eBay loses around $600. Their only intention ever is to make money and this would work against that

There is a reason PSA wanted to do the slab verification but not the raw verification - their entire business is on slabbed cards being safer than raw cards. No way they are not diligent on getting counterfeit slabs off the market and going after counterfeiters.

• Options
    CoffeeTimeCoffeeTime Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

The fakes come from china. Unless the feds stop the flow, they will keep coming. Somewhere I saw a video the forgers made of their process.

• Options

Seller knows it’s fake that’s why he was asking for vemo/cash app payment. Knows it’s going to fail AG.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2022 7:14AM

@DotStore said:
    This is why I Love the eBay Authenticity Guarantee. I just don't understand those who vote against it given how good the fakes can be created with today's technology...

I would hold back any celebrations until the guarantee is proven worthy by cards like this being rejected at a 99.9% rate. They also have already rejected cards that buyers would have wanted to go through with on the sale of, so ebay cannot see that as being positive in the long run until that scenario is corrected. Perhaps, a follow-up to the buyer if they would like to proceed based on PSA's findings. Cracked holder, inaccurate listing details or cert, or any other common rejection some may want to proceed with are an example of lost revenue for ebay and a reason for frustrated buyers/sellers.

Fwiw, I agree, that if you cannot tell real or fake as a buyer, you are welcome to pay for this type of guarantee as a service. Most of us against this service are just stating the obvious that this will not be free forever and we simply refuse to pay for it and will sell/buy eleswhere.

• Options

Hopefully the buyer of this one is in the U.S. Otherwise, I don't think it will go through the Authenticity Guarantee.

Is this fake a scenario where someone had the original card and cracked it out and substituted in the fake card? Or is the whole thing fake - card, label, holder?

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

The grading companies are going to need to step up their game to put an end to these fakes or it will ruin their business. If a buyer can't trust what they're buying then what's the point of any grading? PSA needs to up the anti-counterfeiting techniques on the labels, cases, etc... I guess it's probably always going to be trying to stay one step ahead of these criminals.

• Options

If slab is ruled fake then what happens it gets sent back to the seller? The seller will simply unload it at another venue. This fake and a plethora of others will permeate the hobby. Not portent of good things to come :(

• Options
    edited September 7, 2022 8:04AM

If it is fake. Isnt that copyright infringement? Mail fraud. So do they turn them over to the FBI to investigate? Or what happens?
    This listing the seller only offered 1 card. And also has not sold anything in over a year. I wonder if they are doing it the same method they pass fake 100.00 bills. Rule on the street is just dont have more than 1 on you, meaning 2 or more. As just 1 they cant prosecute you as it could be an honest mistake. Where more than 1 you can prove fraud.

• Options
    edited September 7, 2022 8:13AM

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:
    If slab is ruled fake then what happens it gets sent back to the seller? The seller will simply unload it at another venue. This fake and a plethora of others will permeate the hobby. Not portent of good things to come :(

No from the terms and conditions they have the right to confiscate the card:

Impact of Fraud Detection on Buyers and Sellers.

You acknowledge and agree that if the third-party authenticator detects fraud or suspects that an item is counterfeit, the item will be removed from marketplace circulation and, if the card was graded by PSA, PSA will deactivate its certificate. If the slab is counterfeit or tampered with but the underlying card is authentic and has not been compromised, PSA will re-holder the card and create a new certification before sending the card to the buyer. In addition, eBay will work with the proper authorities as needed and reserves the right to confiscate or destroy any items determined to be counterfeit.

This is another reason I am 100% for the EBay authenticity guarantee program.

• Options

I have the same loop

• Options

maybe it wasn't such a great idea to keep a catalog of high res images open to the public Yes it is great to compare to but also makes it pretty simple for someone to print out copies of the front and back and glue them onto cardboard :(

• Options

some more garbage psa fakes—->

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?sid=nichsta-6408&isRefine=true&LH_Complete=1

they are all AG so they will be returned thankfully.

if anyone doesn’t want AG for cards they buy all they need is a P.O. Box.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@addicted2ebay said:

Those labels aren't even a good attempt. One is slipping from the back part.

• Options

@BBBrkrr said:

@addicted2ebay said:

Those labels aren't even a good attempt. One is slipping from the back part.

Sad thing is I bet that guy could list 10k fake psa Jordan’s all day and they would sell.

• Options
    johfrjohfr Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

Ebay has to come up with a plan to deal with PO Boxes. If you buy from a PO Box then the card doesn't go through the AG. How does that make sense?

• Options

Link goes to nothing now. Guess it didnt pass.

• Options
    edited September 15, 2022 3:43PM

Also the Psa cert is de activated now.
    Not sure if this part was mentioned but how do they contact whoever currently owns this original cert number? Or do they? Only if it’s in the registry?

• Options

I recently submitted a gretzky card. Just to get it of course graded but mostly to see if it was authentic. It came back as ? Authentic.. so they didn't help at all. Mostly want it authenticed. The shape of the card could be a 7 or a 7.5. This card could be worth $$$$. What should I do?

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

That code reads as questionable authenticity

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

Show a better picture of the card front and back if you want, but most likely PSA has enough expertise to identify a fake Gretzky RC. ;-)

Get your money back and try again bud.

• Options

Yeah just from the look of the corner and the color on that gretzky. Its 100% fake not authentic. No question

• Options

buy a microscope, it will cost you less than 1 submission to identify the fake yourself and save the hassle

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@beachbumcollecting said:
    buy a microscope, it will cost you less than 1 submission to identify the fake yourself and save the hassle

a 10x loupe will do. a microscope would be overkill.

myslabs.to/smzcards