GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2022 4:12AM

• Options

• Options

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

My favorite place to buy cards as a kid...

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Our hobby in the 70's in a nutshell.................

Way too many rubberbands and shoeboxes.

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

@Bosox1976 said:

Fantastic!

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭

I have a nice fat folder full of card related magazine clippings and newspaper articles. I hope to be able to take some time some day and scan all of that kind of stuff and share it. Those older images and the hobby periodicals are a great way to reminisce about a more innocent and perhaps better time in the hobby. I won't lie, I have a much better collection because of being an adult with disposable income and transportation to any shop or show I could want to visit, shows, hobby shops, ebay and other advances, but I still look back on my kid collecting times as some of the best ever.

I will pick up the old catalogs when I see them at a decent price. i prefer the years when I was actually looking at them (78-80s) from TCMA, Renata Galasso, Pacific Trading Cards, SCD, Hobby News and others.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options

• Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2022 8:41PM

This is a great book (published in ‘93) if you’re interested in hobby history.

Don’t worry, your fingers won’t be covered in newsprint ink when you read through it. 😉

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh the horror of those rubber bands.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

@bobbybakeriv said:
    My favorite place to buy cards as a kid...

Amazing

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:
    Please share more images if you can.
    Would appreciate seeing them. Thanks

curse those the rubber bands.

• Options
    MrTimMrTim Posts: 16 ✭✭

Oh the horror of those rubber bands.

curse those the rubber bands.

That was my first reaction too. Looking back on similar scenes from my youth, the main focus of the day would have been summed up as: "need 'em, got 'em, need 'em" (repeat). It sure was fun then, and still is now.

• Options
    PastaBoyPastaBoy Posts: 176 ✭✭✭

@Bosox1976 said:

Dang! Still have 3 of 'em. Those things held my cards for 35+ years before I pulled them out again year and a half ago. :)

• Options
    McvillagehtxMcvillagehtx Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

• Options
    McvillagehtxMcvillagehtx Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

i really enjoy these old photos and write ups.

nostalgia is strong!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrmopar

I grew up in Brooklyn and vividly remember visiting Renata G’s storefront in 1977 at the age of 10. I had been ordering the complete sets from her since 1975 and was getting kind of bored with it, so I bought two 1977 vending boxes instead. Big mistake, collation was terrible and I never completed the set that year.

• Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭

I competed with her in 1979 & 1980 as a teenage Topps dealer. I used to list sets for sell in Baseball Digest.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

@smallstocks said:
    I competed with her in 1979 & 1980 as a teenage Topps dealer. I used to list sets for sell in Baseball Digest.

Cool! Do you have a pic of one of your ads?

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baseball Digest.

I have find memories of flipping to the back of the magazine each month for the "So you think you know baseball?" rules question.

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2022 12:33PM

Bought a few packs 78-79, racks in '80 from K-Mart. A few pack buys 81-82. Didn't get into full blown collecting until '83. That one pic above, of the USFL sets reminds me of Swamp Fox Collectibles in North Charleston SC in the '85 time frame. Owner had stacks of them. Did I buy one or two? Don't be ridiculous. I was completing my Donruss Grand Champions set. :D:s:D

• Options
    edited May 14, 2022 2:16AM

Nagy, Fritsch, and Burdick..
    Great contributors to our hobby.

• Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:

@smallstocks said:

Cool! Do you have a pic of one of your ads?

Wish I did. For years I kept them but they are long gone now. I do still have an invoice I received from Topps for the purchase of the cases. And still have thousands of cards from both years in my basement!

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    MrTimMrTim Posts: 16 ✭✭

I'm feeling quite nostalgic about those typewritten sheets in some of the posts in this thread. And those photocopied layouts - great stuff.

That Bobby Clarke All-Star '74 also triggers a lot of memories, one of my biggest collecting years as a kid. And yeah I watched The Partridge Family too although never got into collecting the cards. What might a Reuben Kincaid rookie be worth today?!

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun thread! Appreciate all the posts! 👍🏻

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options

Could you image a Who's Who now? Who would even qualify as a major collector? $$$ would rule that call probably. Great stuff!