Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Grading question involving SIGNED cards by a collector, NOT the player.

I subbed some cards to PSA about a year ago to PSA under their "Swinging Sixties Special". I had a few that were "signed" in cursive by a kid. The kid signed them with the players name, but obviously the autographs did NOT belong to that player. Anyway, the sub finally went into grading tonight and those cards were tagged "Needs PSA/DNA. No grade, no charge". I am not sending them to PSA/DNA because I know the autographs are obviously no good, but will PSA not grade them due to the false signatures?? Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭✭

PSA will not slab autographs that are not authenticated. They would have to put Auto not verified on the slab, and they don't do that. If they slabbed it, someone other than you would assume it's a legit auto.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

They might get MK qualifiers???

• Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

@daltex said:
    They might get MK qualifiers???

That is what I was wanting. I know the "signatures" aren't real. They chose to simply not grade them at all however.

• Options
    blee1blee1 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭

Call them, I wouldn't know why they wouldn't mark them 'MK'

Skips PSA Exchange
    Successful transactions with: yankeeno7, raiderguy10, Beck6, CDsNuts, DaveP01, Dboneesq, Elemenopeo, gameusedhoop, georgebailey2, Goldlabels, gstarling, justmichael, etc

Working on.........
    Tony Dorsett Master Set
    1977 Topps Mexican FB (raw)
    1957 Topps FB Set (raw or graded)
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2022 8:34AM

Because the "Auto" in theory is meant to deceive (not that you are, but again, as the slab changes ownership), a MK does not tell someone that the auto is bunk. I guess if you were to cross out the auto with pen, you could get a MK, but who'd want that presentation-wise.

• Options

I don't think the 'Auto' theory should hold up....think about the preprinted autos on Topps Baseball cards 75 &77, among others. I always read the flip, before I purchase something.

Skips PSA Exchange
    Successful transactions with: yankeeno7, raiderguy10, Beck6, CDsNuts, DaveP01, Dboneesq, Elemenopeo, gameusedhoop, georgebailey2, Goldlabels, gstarling, justmichael, etc

Working on.........
    Tony Dorsett Master Set
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take a sharpie and black out the fake auto. Then you will get a MK grade.
    Like the FF 1989 Fleer

• Options

@handyman said:
    Take a sharpie and black out the fake auto. Then you will get a MK grade.
    Like the FF 1989 Fleer

Then the card would look like do-do........nah.....I guess I will just keep them as is.

• Options

Have you thought of SGC

• Options

@handyman said:
    Have you thought of SGC

No....not sure they would grade them either. And while the cards are obviously signed, but NOT by the players, someone else said that some buyers would be "deceived" into thinking they were really signed by the players, if they weren't familiar with the signatures.

• Options

And I completely agree with them.
    You seemed like you wanted it in a case is why I suggested. And that you knew it was fake and had a problem getting it graded.

• Options
    edited March 10, 2022 3:21PM

@blee1 said:
    I don't think the 'Auto' theory should hold up....think about the preprinted autos on Topps Baseball cards 75 &77, among others. I always read the flip, before I purchase something.

How many flips have you seen that say fake auto? The "pre-printed" auto is part of the card design and every version of that card has it, so that is a bad comparison. The OP is talking about a card with "live" ink.

• Options

Correct....Someone signed the players name IN CURSIVE onto the card. I have had cards graded where the players name was written in ink, but not in cursive. That is acceptable. It is the cursive part throwing people off.

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:

@blee1 said:

How many flips have you seen that say fake auto? The "pre-printed" auto is part of the card design and every version of that card has it, so that is a bad comparison. The OP is talking about a card with "live" ink.

My 33 Sports King Jim Thorpe has some ones name on the back, the flip has qualifier 'MK'. So don't think you know what they've done in the past.

Skips PSA Exchange

Working on.........
    Tony Dorsett Master Set
  • Options

• Options

Skips PSA Exchange

Working on.........
    Tony Dorsett Master Set
  • Options

The Red Grange isn't signed "Red Grange" though.

• Options

@blee1 said:

@RufussCkingston said:

@blee1 said:

My 33 Sports King Jim Thorpe has some ones name on the back, the flip has qualifier 'MK'. So don't think you know what they've done in the past.

But it doesn't have JIM THORPE signed on the back. I think that is the issue.

• Options

what you could do (besides crossing it out of course) is modify the name so PSA would not think it is an signature. So like "Willie Mays" make "William AAazen" or such. In other words, use a similar pen & modify the "signature" so PSA would just say, Oh someone wrote on the card" and then grade it with the MK

• Options

@blee1 said:

That looks like a stamp.....

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RufussCkingston said:
    Because the "Auto" in theory is meant to deceive (not that you are, but again, as the slab changes ownership), a MK does not tell someone that the auto is bunk. I guess if you were to cross out the auto with pen, you could get a MK, but who'd want that presentation-wise.

This would be the reason not to.

• Options

@daltex said:

@RufussCkingston said:

This would be the reason not to.

Yes....I am not messing up the card anymore than it already is.