Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is this number good or bad for the hobby ?

l saw where 2019 basketball has hit over 1,000,000 gem mint 10's with Mint 9 ' s at almost 800,000 . Seems like a lot for 1 year - can that be absorbed by the market or will they just become mostly worthless ?

Comments

• Options
    MisterTim1962MisterTim1962 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2022 7:32AM

The bubble is ready to burst. Greedy "investors" submitting thousands of cards for grading has flooded the market with slabbed cards very few people actually want. Seems so ridiculous that anyone would submit a three year old card for grading in the first place...

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. I'd say good news for basketball collectors who want their favorite player in a 9 or 10 holder. Not so good for flippers, as the scarcity of the 9/10 card is impacted. To paraphrase a movie, "Everyone is special....that's just another way of saying no one is."

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

And that’s (I assume) psa. Think about the csg and hga junk coming back. Not even close to worth the grading fees

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

@rexvos said:

@Jayman1982 said:
    it's numbers like those that make me feel warm and fuzzy about collecting hockey cards

It makes me feel the same way about collecting 60s 70s 80s stuff.

very true!

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

Great number for people who want cheap cards!

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

Even though Basketball card prices dominated during these crazy times, it also has certainly taken the biggest & most noticeable fall of all the sports cards.

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

@rexvos said:

@Jayman1982 said:
    it's numbers like those that make me feel warm and fuzzy about collecting hockey cards

It makes me feel the same way about collecting 60s 70s 80s stuff.

Exactly. Very happy I have converted the majority of my collection from modern to vintage over the past 5 years.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

More to follow.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    parthur1607parthur1607 Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

I just wrote a book relative to this topic on another post. I have been selling all of my ultra modern graded cards that I have duplicates of because when the dust finally settles and all of these “next great rookie cards” have been graded it wouldn’t surprise me if there were 100,000 gem mint 10s of each player (that’s combining all 10s from every grading company). That’ll take a lot of collectors to keep those prices up.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Junk Slab Era Looms. 'lo there will be reckoning.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Simply said ~ great for collector's and bad for flippers.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    McvillagehtxMcvillagehtx Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2022 6:52PM

I decided about a year and a half ago to consolidate and sell all of the graded higher pop cards i have and buy the same players but in numbered cards or more rare cards. I sold about 30 graded 9 and 10 Soto Base Topps Update rookies and purchased one Topps Chrome xfractor auto Soto PSA 9 rookie.

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

Kind of funny. That's like 5X the whole decade of '70's basketball cards.

• Options
    voxels123voxels123 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

OP:

Can you post a factual account of the numbers? It seems like a lot

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

2019 Basketball Cards Sets
    Search

773,930: PSA 9

1,014,684: PSA 10

1,889,874: Total graded

• Options
    Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

I was saying middle of last year that a number people were going to get burned on the modern stuff, as it was being printed to no end, and a couple people consistently responded saying that the demand would be there to support the ungodly number of PSA 10s that there would be...some people just don't want to see/admit that the number of PSA 10s on the modern stuff is and will be out of control for the modern stuff...did they print a lot of stuff back in the 80's and 90's? Sure -- is it easy to get PSA 10s on those cards? Not so much...whether that is due to the fact those cards have been getting transferred from box to box over the years and have been handled a lot, or primarily because the printing/cutting was so awful back then, the fact is that it is hard to get 10s on the stuff from the junk wax era. The people spending hundreds and hundreds, or thousands, of dollars a week on breaking channels makes me shake my head. There are very few cards per break (sometimes none) where a person actually breaks even for what they paid for their spot. I have done one of these breaks just to say I have done it, and that was Fall of 2021, and I haven't had the urge to do it again.

• Options
    voxels123voxels123 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

so is this like panini garbage stuff? I honestly do not understand this absurd volume. which players are being graded like this?

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zion

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options

@voxels123 said:
    so is this like panini garbage stuff? I honestly do not understand this absurd volume. which players are being graded like this?

Any of the hottest new rookies. PSA has recently been putting out numbers on social media showing the most submitted cards per month. For the last 2-3 months the most submissions have been Lamelo Ball, Mac Jones, Anthony Edwards, Justin Herbert. While Joe Burrow isn’t listed in the top 10 I bet his cards are being submitted inside of the top 15. A good many cards in the top 10 are understandable; 1987 Fleer Jordan, 1989 Upper Deck Griffey Jr., 1996 Topps Kobe Bryant.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sayheywyo said:
    Search

So does this make a PSA 9 worth more because it is scarcer? :p

Daniel
  • Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@BaltimoreYankee said:

@sayheywyo said:
    Search

wow

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a crazy number to comprehend. Just to relate numbers that I understand Ill compare the 1951 Bowman Baseball set. Which is a famous easily available issue. Has only had a total of 92,000 cards ever graded to date. Every card included, Total. Lots of modern grading backing up the system for sure. That's a lot of modern cards graded recently!

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been following the 4sc auctions, the amount or junk slabs is incredible. PSA 6 1990 Hoops in the house.

• Options
    johfrjohfr Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

Nearly 2 million graded basketball cards for 2019 is pretty absurd. Most of these will become absolutely worthless. A lot of people are gonna lose a lot of money on their get rich quick scheme. This is what happens when "social media stars" create a false market. I remember a little lesson about If something seems to good to be true..........

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2022 5:16PM

I know this is a mainly a vintage baseball board but the modern hobby does bring in new blood. In the long run, having more hobbyists is better for the overall health of sportscards.

If you looks at the 1 million PSA 10's, 80% of them come from 6-7 products out of 628. Prizm alone is almost 30% of the PSA 10's. Mosaic, Select, Donruss, and Optic all grade better than average so it's not surprising they are the most submitted cards. You can argue that those cards will be worth less due to pop but the other products seems to follow normal modern grading distributions.

Mike
  • Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@BaltimoreYankee said:

@sayheywyo said:
    Search

its good for me that i collect for pleasure not for investment, im waiting for a market collapse .. bwahahahahahah

• Options

@lawyer05 said:

@BaltimoreYankee said:

@sayheywyo said:
    Search

its good for me that i collect for pleasure not for investment, im waiting for a market collapse .. bwahahahahahah

Ok you say you collect for pleasure but you can’t tell me you’ve never considered the value of your collection. If something happened and you needed to sell your collection wouldn’t you want it to be worth more than what you have in it? And you’ve never sold a particular card or other collectible to fund the purchase of a different card/collectible?

• Options

@parthur1607 said:

Ok you say you collect for pleasure but you can’t tell me you’ve never considered the value of your collection. If something happened and you needed to sell your collection wouldn’t you want it to be worth more than what you have in it? And you’ve never sold a particular card or other collectible to fund the purchase of a different card/collectible?

I don't know why it has to be one or the other. I love collecting and buy things I enjoy. However I have spent a great deal of money over the years on my collection and it is only prudent to make sure I spent it well.

Mike
  • Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@parthur1607 said:

@voxels123 said:

Any of the hottest new rookies. PSA has recently been putting out numbers on social media showing the most submitted cards per month. For the last 2-3 months the most submissions have been Lamelo Ball, Mac Jones, Anthony Edwards, Justin Herbert. While Joe Burrow isn’t listed in the top 10 I bet his cards are being submitted inside of the top 15. A good many cards in the top 10 are understandable; 1987 Fleer Jordan, 1989 Upper Deck Griffey Jr., 1996 Topps Kobe Bryant.

I say grow baby grow to supply and slow baby slow to demand. If that pattern continues those who said prices may not go back to pre-pandemic on at least some (non-vintage) cards may very well be wrong.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options

However I have spent a great deal of money over the years on my collection and it is only prudent to make sure I spent it well.

Define a great deal of money ? $100,000 ? $400,000 ? $5 million ?

If you want all basketball cards to be worthless, give us a hell yeah !!!

• Options

@basketballcollector said:

However I have spent a great deal of money over the years on my collection and it is only prudent to make sure I spent it well.

Define a great deal of money ? $100,000 ? $400,000 ? $5 million ?

If you want all basketball cards to be worthless, give us a hell yeah !!!

I don't collect modern basketball, don't have a horse either way.

Mike
  • Options
    yoda100yoda100 Posts: 37 ✭✭✭

I mainly collect vintage but I did pick up 2 of these Jeter Pinnacle rookie cards for $80 each. I just thought the card was pretty cool and it is Derek Jeter. I watched as the price doubled and now it's just about come back to where I bought them. There are just too many out there to keep the price up.