Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Sold one of these Morant blues way too early apparently

Wow, completely floored by this price. Anyone else have a card you sold too early on?

Share your stories below

Frank Thomas collector

Comments

• Options
    voxels123voxels123 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

:*

• Options

@voxels123 said:

I can't even wrap my head around some of these modern prices.

Frank Thomas collector
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty much all of these except for the Goff on the bottom right. But I'm not complaining that I didn't maximize
    profits, I still did very well. I had my tax appointment this afternoon and they assigned me a new
    accountant and the first thing he said when I met him was, "you're the Patrick Mahomes guy, right?" :p
    And at my peak I had right at 45 Mahomes rookie cards, all high quality like the ones pictured

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Funny how no one really posts about how they sold a card at a high price 6 months ago........and now it's worth crap.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pootshwan said:
    Wow, completely floored by this price. Anyone else have a card you sold too early on?

Share your stories below

If he wins the MVP that price may look like a steal.

• Options

@Darin said:
    Pretty much all of these except for the Goff on the bottom right. But I'm not complaining that I didn't maximize
    profits, I still did very well. I had my tax appointment this afternoon and they assigned me a new
    accountant and the first thing he said when I met him was, "you're the Patrick Mahomes guy, right?" :p
    And at my peak I had right at 45 Mahomes rookie cards, all high quality like the ones pictured

Wow! What a collection

Frank Thomas collector
  • Options

@steel75 said:
    Funny how no one really posts about how they sold a card at a high price 6 months ago........and now it's worth crap.

That's not as fun :D

Frank Thomas collector
  • Options

@nam812 said:

@pootshwan said:

Share your stories below

If he wins the MVP that price may look like a steal.

that is true

Frank Thomas collector
  • Options
    parthur1607parthur1607 Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

@pootshwan said:

@voxels123 said:

Agree. I saw where a Joe Burrow Silver Prizm, not even numbered, sold for almost $8k last week on eBay. Maximize now, or I’m the near future because it won’t be long before these ultra modern cards tank. Economics 101 (supply/demand) has gone completely out the window! But it’ll catch up.

• Options

@steel75 said:

What about the cards we sent to PSA over a year ago of players that were hot at the time? Gleyber Torres, anyone??? I must have 50 of those at PSA right now. Maybe I won’t get them back until July and he’s hitting .400 with 30 HRs…..

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@parthur1607 said:

@pootshwan said:

@voxels123 said:

Agree. I saw where a Joe Burrow Silver Prizm, not even numbered, sold for almost $8k last week on eBay. Maximize now, or I’m the near future because it won’t be long before these ultra modern cards tank. Economics 101 (supply/demand) has gone completely out the window! But it’ll catch up.

I don't understand your comment re supply and demand. Can you explain further?

• Options

Really? The fact that there will be more than 10,000 PSA 10 of all ultra modern base rookie cards (and that is a very conservative number). The rarity of a PSA 10 is what drove prices in the past. There are only 3 known 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA 10! Only 9 PSA 9! Only 1,500 TOTAL graded mantle cards. That’s what makes that card so valuable. Now let’s compare Mike Trout to that. Trout will most likely have better numbers than Mantle by the time he retires so you could theoretically say he’s a better player (I’m not getting into an argument about this only using it as an example). Mickey Mantle’s first Topps card will be 70 years old this year. No one even knows what that card brings in PSA 10 because there’s never been one sold so let’s just use the PSA 9 figure $8.1M, I believe is the highest I’ve seen. Mike Trout’s Topps Rookie card was 2011 so In 2081 it will be 70 years old. It will never reach $8M because there will be way too many in circulation. (All that assuming people still collect cards by 2081). Mike Trout’s rookie cards weren’t even printed in the mass numbers that today’s cards are being printed in. Right now people hoping to “invest” are spending outrageous amounts of money on cards that they hope to cash in on in 20, 30, 40 years. They aren’t considering the possibility that there could be 20, 30, 40 THOUSAND of that exact card in the highest possible grade. When there are that many it takes an awful lot of people to be interested enough in the hobby to continue driving prices. I have to point out that none of what I’ve written is about cards that are serial numbered. Obviously if they are serial numbered there can only be so many of each print. Those serial numbered cards may continue to increase in value long into the future.

So all of that sums up supply (millions of cards being printed with 1,000s grading PSA 10, not to mention all the 10s from other grading companies) and demand (the number of people that will be interested in collecting years and years into the future). Same thing that happened in the early 90s. How many people thought they were going to retire when they sold their Ken Griffey Jr. rookie cards? If you had 100 in PSA 10 you MIGHT be able to retire but if you only had one….well that MIGHT cover a month of your bills…

• Options

@parthur1607 said:
    Really? The fact that there will be more than 10,000 PSA 10 of all ultra modern base rookie cards (and that is a very conservative number). The rarity of a PSA 10 is what drove prices in the past. There are only 3 known 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA 10! Only 9 PSA 9! Only 1,500 TOTAL graded mantle cards. That’s what makes that card so valuable. Now let’s compare Mike Trout to that. Trout will most likely have better numbers than Mantle by the time he retires so you could theoretically say he’s a better player (I’m not getting into an argument about this only using it as an example). Mickey Mantle’s first Topps card will be 70 years old this year. No one even knows what that card brings in PSA 10 because there’s never been one sold so let’s just use the PSA 9 figure $8.1M, I believe is the highest I’ve seen. Mike Trout’s Topps Rookie card was 2011 so In 2081 it will be 70 years old. It will never reach $8M because there will be way too many in circulation. (All that assuming people still collect cards by 2081). Mike Trout’s rookie cards weren’t even printed in the mass numbers that today’s cards are being printed in. Right now people hoping to “invest” are spending outrageous amounts of money on cards that they hope to cash in on in 20, 30, 40 years. They aren’t considering the possibility that there could be 20, 30, 40 THOUSAND of that exact card in the highest possible grade. When there are that many it takes an awful lot of people to be interested enough in the hobby to continue driving prices. I have to point out that none of what I’ve written is about cards that are serial numbered. Obviously if they are serial numbered there can only be so many of each print. Those serial numbered cards may continue to increase in value long into the future.

So all of that sums up supply (millions of cards being printed with 1,000s grading PSA 10, not to mention all the 10s from other grading companies) and demand (the number of people that will be interested in collecting years and years into the future). Same thing that happened in the early 90s. How many people thought they were going to retire when they sold their Ken Griffey Jr. rookie cards? If you had 100 in PSA 10 you MIGHT be able to retire but if you only had one….well that MIGHT cover a month of your bills…

Well, I actually strongly disagree with your 10,000 number, because of the law of supply and demand. There likely will be that many Trout rookies, but there aren't likely to be more than a couple of dozen Patrick Wisdom, to take a player more or less at random, rookies graded. Why? Because there are vanishingly few people willing to pay the $75 it costs to get one graded and a reasonable profit for the submitter.

Trout vs. Mantle is a terrible comparison simply because there is no iconic Trout card. The actual Mantle rookie in 10 would likely only sell for $2-3 million. Pop 1, but an 8 just sold for $504,000. Not an iconic card. The closest thing to an iconic baseball card since the Griffey is probably be the SP Jeter, and that is far, far less iconic than the big three.

Supply and demand are working exactly the way they are supposed to. If the supply of the Burrow rookie triples and the demand tanks because Burrow turns in to Drew Bledsoe or Ben Roethlisberger and Kenny Pickett is leading whoever drafts him to the Super Bowl, the price (where supply and demand hang out) will fall to whatever the new level is.

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

1951 Bowman Mantle is not an iconic card??

• Options
    Browns1981Browns1981 Posts: 395 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also 2011 Topps Update Trout has to be the most iconic card on the 21st century at least in baseball.

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

I did purchase a 2011 Topps Trout Diamond PSA 10 at the 2021 National for 15K. Well, 14K cash and added a card valued at 1K that I was in for absolutely $0. Today, the card sells for around 11.5K. I figured even at that time that it may go down a little more because that was the current trend but those were the prices at the time, and I wanted to purchase something at the show. I don't regret it and I have no doubt in my mind that it was still a great purchase because I hold for long term, and I knew that going in.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure Mike and I will be all smiles when he retires and then again when he gets into the HOF.

• Options

@dan89 said:
    1951 Bowman Mantle is not an iconic card??

No. There are only three. T206 Wagner, '52 Topps Mantle, and '89 Upper Deck Griffey. These cards will always be worth a huge premium to player popularity and scarcity. I don't make the rules, but there is little interest in the rookie compared to the double printed Topps card.

• Options

That’s comical

• Options

And what rules are you talking about? Does Sy Berger have to come from the grave and deem something iconic? Any Goudey Ruth is an iconic card, 54 Aaron? Maybe we have a different definition of iconic or need to create a new committee?

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

I would say it's a safe bet that POP reports are going a get a lot bigger, thus affecting prices. I can't imagine how many Burrow's/Herbert's were submitted just waiting to come back.
    Let's not turn Burrow into Tom Brady yet simply because his RC's are affordable/current and Brady's well......

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options

@parthur1607 said:

@pootshwan said:

@voxels123 said:

Yea, these prices are wild. Unfortunately I don't have any Burrow to sell

Frank Thomas collector
  • Options

Right now there are ~200 2020 Prizm Joe Burrow PSA 10 cards listed on eBay. That’s just Prizm! How many different brands does Panini make? I can think of 7 easily. If the bengals win Sunday it would be a great time to sell one. This time next year the Pop of that card will be well over 20,000 in PSA 10 alone.

• Options

He is the hottest NBA player right now. However it is a Probstein auction so it was shilled a ton.. Who knows if it was even paid for.