Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is this a valid and attractive aspect of this card for sale to you as a collector?

Here is the card up for auction (BELOW) ~ Ohtani /25 and its serial numbered "17 of 25" on rear..... Shohei's jersey number is ALSO 17...... Is this a thing in collecting with higher net results in sales prices? ..... I personally don't find it intriguing in the least. This particular card is ending this evening with Probstein and he references the serial number as though collectors will have an extra special interest b/c its the same as his jersey..... the card is currently at $6,600.00 with a couple hours left.......

Comments

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

only dumb ones. There is another guy on FB that pays a premium for cards serial numbered 1/ whatever. Like that means anything. people find all kinds of ways to exercise stupidity.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

In response to the OP question: Do you remember the premium for the 97/ Connor McDavid? For those who may have missed it, take a look at the insane premium paid for his jersey number in a PSA 9 (sales price of $135,811.20), relative to the other much lower sales for PSA 10's. Lower grade and there are 99 copies of this so it is not even all that difficult to find compared to a lot of parallels.

https://psacard.com/auctionprices/hockey-cards/2015-upper-deck-cup/connor-mcdavid/values/2445103

• Options
    cgfalconecgfalcone Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

I had no idea this was a thing. Learn something new everyday I guess.

• Options
    parthur1607parthur1607 Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

I always thought having serial number 1 was cool. It means it was the first one. That goes for all types of collectibles, not just cards. Would I pay a premium for #1??? Doubt it…

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me personally, yes! I collect several players' "jersey numbered" cards. I find it to be a fun challenge beyond just the regular cards you see everyday. Most of them aren't giant names or the current hot hobby rage(such as Ohtani)...therefore, if/when I find them, there isn't a premium. If you would like to try to find some for me, send a message and I will give you a short list! ;)

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 11, 2021 10:23PM

without a doubt it makes the a card more appealing. It's pretty simple, would you rather have 17/25 or the other 24 numbers. The answer will always be 17 which makes it have added value. It's not much different than someone preferring to have a /5 card over a /99 card of the same player.

I will say that having the number on the back is a little less appealing. Having the 17/25 shown on front with his number showing on his jersey can add even more $$

1/25 (etc is the other one that has heavy appeal. Also, there are several other numerical serial numbers that are great too. If a player is #55 then getting a card that is 5/5 holds greater appeal than say 55/99 as it's a low numbered card that also has the jersey number.

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

Typically if you're into collecting low serial numbered cards while the same card comes in silver prizm, green, orange, red, blue, black, yellow, pink, crushed ice, hyper, shimmer, wave, red/white/blue, nebula, tiger stripe, bronze, gold, black gold, purple, pulsar, mojo, ruby and sparkle, then yeah you probably care about the serial number matching the player's jersey number.

• Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 468 ✭✭✭

The Beatles "White" album is serial numbered on the front. The lower the number, the more it sells for. People also pay more for numbers that mean different things. This is not a new phenomenon.

• Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 468 ✭✭✭

I neglected to add: "Peace and love."

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd rather spend that kind of money on a vintage HOF Rookie card.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    voxels123voxels123 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

OK. Let me distill it down.

YES. Collectors/Investors will, can, and do pay premiums for specially-numbered cards. These prices hold up. The example in particular WILL command a premium, period.

If I was a big collector of this player, I'd love the chance to buy it.

• Options
    cgfalconecgfalcone Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

@ArtVandelay said:
    without a doubt it makes the a card more appealing. It's pretty simple, would you rather have 17/25 or the other 24 numbers. The answer will always be 17 which makes it have added value. It's not much different than someone preferring to have a /5 card over a /99 card of the same player.

I can understand how that could make the card more appealing to some people but for me personally it makes absolutely no difference if the number matches the jersey number. On the other hand a /5 card is much more appealing to me than a /99 card. To each their own.

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭

I even look for other jersey numbered variation ideas. Here's an example. I would love to find a Ronald Acuna Jr(who wears#13) dual card with Freddie Freeman(who wears #5)....with the serial # 135/XXX. With the Acuna on the left side of the card and Freeman on the right. Is it worth anything above whatever the going market is at that moment...absolutely not. Would I think it's neat to have a "shared" jersey with both players I like to collect? 100%! And there are many more players that would fit in this formula. It's just a way to collect outside of a typical box.

• Options
    bruin805bruin805 Posts: 50 ✭✭✭

Given a choice, I'd probably prefer the following serial numbers in this order:
    1. Jersey number
    2. #1 of xxx
    3. #xxx of xxx

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

I have over 200 Frank Thomas cards serial numbered 35/; while I don't pay super premiums - I choose to look for the deals when they're not marketed as such - even the least desirable $1 cards of Frank with 35/ are easily going to sell for $20 with appropriate marketing. As a player collector, I think jersey numbered cards are more appealing. I don't have much desire to own jersey numbered cards of other players.

For example, my $40 investment in the card below has yielded 5-figure offers. I'll take my "dumb" purchase and smile to the bank if I ever need the money.

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

To answer the question directly of the OP, yes, by all means, if a serial number matches the player's uniform number that is a little more special than some other number, but bruin805 is also correct with his #2, if you get the #1 of xxx.

Now having said that, if I want the card, I will be just very happy to get it. Be that as it may, I would tend to bid a little more aggressively, and a little more monetarily if said serial numbered card matched the player's uniform #.

I had to think a while for an example of my own collecting. I recall going after an In The Game Ultimate Memorabila card of NHL hockey legend Maurice Richard. Everything else was just right about the card in that the memorabilia swatch matched the color of Maurice's glove. The photo used on the card was my favorite posed action photo of The Rocket. It was serial numbered # 9 of 25, which made it all the more special to me. Still, I would say it only was worth $5-10 of the purchase / winning bid price.

Once I got the card, I was totally delighted with it. The serial number matching The Rocket's number was icing on the cake!

That's my nickel pack's worth. -- indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

6 million ways to collect. Choose one.

• Options
    voxels123voxels123 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

@BunchOBull said:
    I have over 200 Frank Thomas cards serial numbered 35/; while I don't pay super premiums - I choose to look for the deals when they're not marketed as such - even the least desirable $1 cards of Frank with 35/ are easily going to sell for $20 with appropriate marketing. As a player collector, I think jersey numbered cards are more appealing. I don't have much desire to own jersey numbered cards of other players.

For example, my $40 investment in the card below has yielded 5-figure offers. I'll take my "dumb" purchase and smile to the bank if I ever need the money.

Great card! If you have/make the time to search like that, it will definitely pay off in the long run. Congrats on the buys!!

• Options
    SoxPatsFanSoxPatsFan Posts: 197 ✭✭✭✭

I think it's more of a big deal if the player is known for a specific uniform number. For instance, everyone knows Wayne Gretzky was #99, Tom Brady is #12, Derek Jeter was #2. I's be willing to wager that if you asked 100 average baseball fans what Shohei Ohtani's uniform number is, only a handful would know, despite Ohtani's superstar status.

In my opinion, only a hardcore Ohtani or Angels collector would consider a uniform #'d card to carry a premium, while other players who are more known by their numbers would appeal to a much wider group of collectors.

• Options

"I think it's more of a big deal if the player is known for a specific uniform number."

Well, obviously.  Moreover, those 100 baseball fans all would have sky-high raised eyebrows were they told how much money is spent for "the better cards".  On the other hand, IT IS those hardcore collectors that, either quietly move in as a stealth bomber, or aggressively enter the auction dogfight and won't bat an eye if expensive gets reinvented.  For the right card, as in the OP's suggestion of a serial number matching his uniform number, I WANT IT, I GOTTA HAVE IT, I MEAN TO HAVE THAT ONE, NOW, NOW, NOW!!!!!  Do you really wonder why we're the type known as "hardcore"?

Moreover, do not be like us.  We don't want you to be like us.  You're not smart enough to be like us.  You don't have the aesthetic and brilliant imagination to be one of us, AND DON'T YOU FORGET IT!%*$#!"  Most of all, don't take me too seriously here, 'cause the meta message is------in reality, we don't want more competition.  (I.E. "That's a very rare, serial-numbered baseball card.  That belongs in a museum---MY MUSEUM!"   ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2021 2:42PM

It really comes down to this. If you have a choice to buy an auto card of Tim Duncan(example) who wore #21 and the auto card was /25 and all 25 cards were in front of you to choose from all being in the exact same condition would you just grab any one of them without caring or would you choose the 1/25 or better yet the 21/25 which most likely would be displayed right under the jersey bearing the same #21 Duncan is wearing in the image?

I cannot see any reason why anyone would not choose the 21/25 or the 1/25 first. Given that those would always be chosen first they automatically would carry a premium.

It's not any different than if you had a complete set of 1973 Baseball all in the same condition you would choose the Mike Schmidt card first. The cards are all identical in make and material with the only thing differentiating them is the image on the card. People choose the Schmidt, Clemente, Rose, Aaron etc first which is the main reason those carry a higher value than the others.

• Options

Well said, ArtVandelay. I probably would not agree on your selection of Schmidt, since I'm not into rookie card collecting. I'd probably take Nolan Ryan or Roberto Clemente, but that's neither here nor there. Be that as it may, 90% of the collectors ARE into rookie cards, and they would indeed gravitate toward Schmidty. Also, it's not that I don't care for Schmidt; all I remember him for is wreaking havoc and wearing out my Cubs year after year after year.....

All the best to you. Cheers. --- Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭

I am just surprised that probstein actually took the time to call that out. Their listings are void of much detail most of the time. Can be good for the buyer, not so much for the seller.

Could me as another one of those stupid collectors who will (sometimes) pay a premium for a jersey numbered card, but only Steve Garvey. My stupidity is only so deep.

However, I am also tired of driving the price into the ULTRASTUPID range by competing for those, because frankly, only me and the other buyer who does this is the likely next buyer later on at anywhere near the hammer price.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.