Home Sports Talk
Options

Should there be a mercy rule?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bring this up because there was a beatdown of royal proportions in California high school football Friday.

‘A beatdown for the ages’: 106-0 high school football score draws jeers

LOS ANGELES (KTLA) – In high school football, the talent gap between future pros and average Joes can be quite wide indeed, and lopsided scores are nothing new. But a 106-0 win? That will draw some attention.

That was the score at the game between Inglewood High and Inglewood Morningside in Southern California over the weekend. Despite scoring 59 points in the first quarter alone, Inglewood High head coach Mil’Von James declined to play backups and was initially reticent to use a running clock to shorten the game, according to Inglewood Morningside football coach Brian Collins.

Inglewood High even went for a two-point conversion pass, instead of the traditional one-point kick attempt, after scoring to take a 104-0 lead, which Collins told the Los Angeles Times was “a classless move.”

“I told them, ‘Go play St. John Bosco and Mater Dei,'” Collins said in reference to two of the area’s powerhouse high schools that recently produced the starting quarterbacks at top-tier programs Clemson University and the University of Alabama.

James has also been criticized for allowing quarterback Justyn Martin, a blue-chip prospect and UCLA commit, to play when the game was well out of reach. He threw 13 touchdowns.

James has not responded to an email seeking comment on the game.

In a statement provided to the Times’ Eric Sondheimer, the California Interscholastic Federation Southern Section, which governs most Southern California high school sports, said the 106-0 score “does not represent” the organization’s ideals of character.

“The CIF-SS condemns, in the strongest terms, results such as these,” the statement read.

Other high school coaches were similarly incensed. Matt Poston, head coach at Tesoro High School in Las Flores, said he hoped he was “reading this wrong” when he looked at the score.

“We’re supposed to be teaching young men life lessons through the game. What message was this staff teaching last night? Sad,” Poston wrote on Twitter.

Sportswriter Nick Harris highlighted some of the most eye-popping stats, calling the game “a beatdown for the ages.”

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am all for professionals and college athletes not letting up on the gas, but for school boy sports, I guess it would be alright to have a mercy rule

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

didnt we have this discussion very recently in the past? doubt a ton of opinions changed in the few weeks since…

c’mon dd. youre losing your edge. keep it interesting!

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's nothing, in 1916 Georgia Tech beat Cumberland by a score of 222-0!

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been on both sides of beat downs. It's not fun being on either side.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Supposedly, the winning team had no backup quarterback and most of the touchdowns were shovel passes. Somehow I doubt it. This was completely classless.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

U Clowns Lose Again can have him. Going to be nothing but trouble in college. Went for 2 when it was 104-0.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

sweep the leg.

• Options
    SonnyDSonnyD Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    I've been on both sides of beat downs. It's not fun being on either side.

m

Same here except when facing a rival, a shutout feels amazing.
    Playing what we called "lesser" schools growing up it wasn't fun slaughtering them. No challenge and coach benched 1st team before the half. But at least there was a sliver of sportsmanship.

Ounce by ounce the stack grows .

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

In a blowout the winning team should have all back ups in and be running up the middle. I mean if a team lays down and don’t have the will to stop reserves running up the middle then it’s on them.