Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Historically Light-Hitters

This may be more "sports-talk"? Not sure. I'm compiling a list of some historically light hitting guys and putting some artwork together. Duane Kuiper and Mario Mendoza are definitely in the works. Name some guys that have played since 1950 that you could count on to pop up to first or roll over a mediocre fastball...

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember Luis Rivera seemingly always being good for a ground out to the second baseman for the red sox in the early 90's

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

eddie gaedel? 😂

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2021 10:58AM

It's the singer not the song - Peter Townshend (1972)

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gemint said:
    Bob Uecker

great call actually.

love his quote of getting paid by sporting good companies NOT to use their equipment.

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2021 2:43PM

Larry Bowa

8418 at bats, 2191 hits - just 15 home runs and only 377 extra-base hits.

Rabbit Marranville

10,078 at bats, 2605 hits - 28 home runs

Nellie Fox

9232 at bats, 2663 hits - 35 home runs

Richie Ashburn

8365 at bats, 2574 hits - 29 home runs.

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭

Don Kessinger

7651 at bats, 1931 hits - 14 home runs

Maury Wills

7588 at bats, 2134 hits - 20 home runs

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭✭

Moe Berg-spoke 5 languages and could not hit in any of them.

Mark Belanger- great glove

• Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Doug Griffin and Steve Dillard.

Buddy Biancalana

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enzo Hernandez

Steve

• Options

Cody Bellinger-2021😂
    Well below the Mendoza line

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

George Brett

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options

Historical" light" hitters? Lol Raphael Bellaird

• Options

BTW is is light hitting in terms of Average? HR's? Run production? or some combination of those?

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

Alex Cora is a great manager. But he only hit 6 HRs in 4 seasons playing for the Sox and I don’t recall any of them.

(Insert joke about not banging cans loudly enough here).

• Options
    ringerringer Posts: 342 ✭✭✭

Frank Duffy

• Options
    tod41tod41 Posts: 88 ✭✭✭

@BuckHunter68 said:
    This may be more "sports-talk"? Not sure. I'm compiling a list of some historically light hitting guys and putting some artwork together. Duane Kuiper and Mario Mendoza are definitely in the works. Name some guys that have played since 1950 that you could count on to pop up to first or roll over a mediocre fastball...

Bud Harrelson was much better offensive player than those guys. He also was an excellent base runner.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike Benjamin might have been an elite defensive shortstop (like Belanger elite) but his hitting was so bad that he only played 375 games at short over 13 years. OPS+ was 61.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

Greg Gross for the win.

• Options

@tod41 said:

@BuckHunter68 said:

Bud Harrelson was much better offensive player than those guys. He also was an excellent base runner.

But not as good as Kuiper. As an aside, is Kelleher's 9 OPS+ a record low for a season playing 100 games? I mean Jon Lester has hit better since he went to the NL.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rafael Belliard is probably the worst hitter in MLB history to last 17 years. (He may even be the worst to last 5)

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    BuckHunter68BuckHunter68 Posts: 403 ✭✭✭

Light hitting meaning low average, no pop, not known for their bat.
    Anybody around .200-.230 with an OPS under .650 is pretty brutal.

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

• Options
    BuckHunter68BuckHunter68 Posts: 403 ✭✭✭

Bud Harrelson had an excellent command of the strike zone. His ability to hit balls IN IT...not so much.

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭

@KendallCat said:
    Greg Gross for the win.

Greg Gross hit .287 over with a .372 OBP over a 17 year MLB career...At one point I believe he held the MLB record for most career pinch hits (I know he doesn't anymore).

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ironmanfan said:

@KendallCat said:
    Greg Gross for the win.

Greg Gross hit .287 over with a .372 OBP over a 17 year MLB career...At one point I believe he held the MLB record for most career pinch hits (I know he doesn't anymore).

IMF

Light hitter = zero power. 17 years and 7 HR’s impossible 🤣

• Options

@dallasactuary said:
    Rafael Belliard is probably the worst hitter in MLB history to last 17 years. (He may even be the worst to last 5)

Lol I know. Poor little guy. But dang .. sometimes he'd bloop one 😂

• Options
    edited October 14, 2021 7:53AM

Jim Mason - although he's best known for a WS HR

Apparently his 1975 stats were so anemic to Topps that they did not issue a 1976 card for him. Despite playing in 94 games with 223 AB's

Year Age Tm Lg G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+ TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB Pos

1975 24 NYY AL 94 251 223 17 34 3 2 2 16 0 2 22 49 .152 .228 .211 .438 26 47 10 0 5 1 0 6/4H

1976 25 NYY AL 93 236 217 17 39 7 1 1 14 0 0 9 37 .180 .210 .235 .445 31 51 4 0 7 3 0 6

SSPC's 1976 card back description was especially brutal, but at least they did issue a card for him.

On the positive side Mason possess' the Highest career slugging percentage in World Series play, no minimum at-bats; Mason, 4.000.

1 WS Plate appearance with 1 HR

• Options
    edited October 14, 2021 8:02AM

Dal Maxvill

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭✭

I'm surprised no has brought up Ozzie Smith - 9,396 at bats and only 28 homeruns. The interesting part is that the biggest play of his career was a homerun.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options

Dave Roberts (but he could steal a base when he needed to!)

• Options

@KendallCat said:

@Ironmanfan said:

@KendallCat said:
    Greg Gross for the win.

IMF

Light hitter = zero power. 17 years and 7 HR’s impossible 🤣

A .351 slugging percentage and a 103 OPS+ would seem to keep Gross from this list, but keep in mind that most of the others here were, or were considered to be strong defensive middle infielders. Gross was an indifferent corner outfielder, which makes him lasing 17 years puzzling.

• Options

@dontippet said:
    I'm surprised no has brought up Ozzie Smith - 9,396 at bats and only 28 homeruns. The interesting part is that the biggest play of his career was a homerun.

Smith is actually in the HoF due to his bat. He was an elite defensive shortstop for a while and then a very good one, but the way he stayed in the lineup was due to his bat. An 87 OPS+ is actually good for a player, let alone a middle infielder. If his OPS+ was 67, say, he wouldn't have stayed in the lineup into the '90s and would never had a chance at the HoF.

Pokey Reese, Mark Lemke, Rey Sanchez, Adam Everett, and Hal Lanier all fit the prototype nicely. How the heck did Belliard draw 26 intentional walks (Lanier 25)? Mick Kelleher's 1980 season might go down as the worst of all time. A .394 OPS and a 9 OPS+ might be survivable, but not when you realize Kelleher played over 100 games!

• Options
    rbsalezmanrbsalezman Posts: 88 ✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2021 11:41PM

Ray Oyler belongs on this list.

“ 1968 World Series: Mayo Smith's shortstop gamble”

“When Oyler, always a light hitter, famously went "0 for August", manager Mayo Smith moved outfielder Mickey Stanley to the shortstop position for the last nine games of the regular season and for all seven games of the 1968 World Series. Oyler's batting average had dropped to .135, and Smith had four quality outfielders in Willie Horton, Jim Northrup, Al Kaline, and Mickey Stanley that he wanted in the lineup for every World Series game. Stanley had not played the shortstop position before the 1968 season, but was a talented athlete with a good glove.

Oyler did not have an official at bat in the 1968 World Series, but he did appear in all four Detroit victories as a defensive replacement and had a sacrifice bunt.

In its "The End of the Century" series, ESPN rated Smith's decision to move Stanley to shortstop for the World Series as one of the 10 greatest coaching decisions of the century.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Oyler

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/o/oylerra01.shtml

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:
    eddie gaedel? 😂

Quite literally!

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 489 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a life long Cubs fan, Mick Kelleher comes to mind. Classic utility infielder, good glove, no bat. 11 years in the majors, .213 average, 0 home runs.