Home Sports Talk
Options

The 'What If?' Hall of Fame

daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

ESPN has an article which purports to show if five players missed Cooperstown by "a simple twist of fate". https://espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/32088194/the-hall-fame-how-simple-twist-fate-sent-five-players-cooperstown (article is behind paywall.)

Hypotheses are:

1. Dave Kingman had played his entire career with the Red Sox.
  2. WAR had been available throughout Dwight Evans entire career.
  3. Jim Wynn hadn't been exposed to the 1962 equivalent to the Rule 5 Draft.
  4. Tommy John surgery hadn't been invented for Tommy John.
  5. Don Mattingly had missed the team bus on June 4, 1987.

That last requires a bit more explanation. The author hypothesizes that missing that bus would have prevented his back injury.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting topic!

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bo Jackson hadn’t blown out his hip.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

Sterling Sharpe didn’t get hurt

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love these type of topics. so many what ifs in sports history.

I wonder about Koufax's elbow, Gooden and Strawberries drug problems,

I also wonder about players hurt by strikes: the 1994/5 baseball (Mcgriff, Gwynn, Maddux)
    the 1987 NFL (Rice TD receptions, Reggie White Sack total)

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tony Oliva hadn't injured his knee.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

kirby puckett didnt get beaned in the eye

• Options

@craig44 said:

The reports in Minnesota were that he was hitting the ball as well or better than ever when he was hit and still when he was diagnosed with glaucoma.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

The reports in Minnesota were that he was hitting the ball as well or better than ever when he was hit and still when he was diagnosed with glaucoma.

I always thought it was such a shame, what happened to Kirby. always loved watching him play. I think his career stat line would have been fantastic had it not been for the premature retirement. 3000 hits easily.

I know that after retirement he sort of hit rock bottom. I am not entirely sure what happened with Kirby, but I loved him and his attitude as a player.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭

Mickey Mantle and the center field mishap

Bobby Orr had 2 good knees

Super Mario was always healthy

Greatest generation boys didn't lose all those years

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Namath with the knees he had at Bama.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always wondered what if Charlie Ward had chosen football over basketball, how would his NFL career have played out.

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

If Rico Petrocelli didn't get beaned.

• Options

If Lyman Bostock wasn't murdered.

• Options

If JR Richard didn't have a stroke at the peak of his brilliance.

• Options

@LandrysFedora said:

Tony Conigliaro??

• Options

I'm a bit confused. None of the above prevented Koufax, Puckett, Gwynn, Maddux, or Mantle from making the HoF.

• Options

@daltex said:
    I'm a bit confused. None of the above prevented Koufax, Puckett, Gwynn, Maddux, or Mantle from making the HoF.

correct, but injury or circumstance kept them from achieving either their potential or having even better careers.

Gwynn lost the chance at .400, Maddux may have had the two greatest pitching seasons ever had he not been forced to miss time in both 94 and 95, puckett and mantle could have had better career statistics had it not been for injuries.

Ken Griffey Jr falls into the same sphere. could he have hit 800 home runs had it not been for his injury-plagued 2nd half of his career?

• Options

@daltex said:

I was going to point out that many of the posts had nothing to do with the subject of the post.

I'll add Dick Allen if he would have cared about baseball as much as horses.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@daltex said:

correct, but injury or circumstance kept them from achieving either their potential or having even better careers.

Gwynn lost the chance at .400, Maddux may have had the two greatest pitching seasons ever had he not been forced to miss time in both 94 and 95, puckett and mantle could have had better career statistics had it not been for injuries.

Ken Griffey Jr falls into the same sphere. could he have hit 800 home runs had it not been for his injury-plagued 2nd half of his career?

And if Killebrew had signed with the Red Sox when they offered him a contract he would have had about 1,000 home runs playing in Fenway!

;-)

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

@daltex said:

And if Killebrew had signed with the Red Sox when they offered him a contract he would have had about 1,000 home runs playing in Fenway!

;-)

Wow! I never knew that Killer was offered a contract by the Red Sox. can you imagine him in the same lineup as Williams and then later on Yaz? I think that could have changed the course of red sox history.

I think you may be a little conservative on the 1000 homers. I think that Killebrew might have hit 10,000 over the monster!!!

• Options

I had no idea about Killebrew potentially in a Sox uniform

• Options
    edited September 2, 2021 8:13AM

@craig44 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

@daltex said:

;-)

Wow! I never knew that Killer was offered a contract by the Red Sox. can you imagine him in the same lineup as Williams and then later on Yaz? I think that could have changed the course of red sox history.

I think you may be a little conservative on the 1000 homers. I think that Killebrew might have hit 10,000 over the monster!!!

When the Senators representative visited the Killebrew residence, he noticed a few Ted Williams model bats.

Boston had offered Killebrew a contract and he declined, as he had a scholarship to play football at the University of Oregon (Harmon was a HS All-American) but said he would give the Sox a chance to match any offer he got.

When Washington made their bid, Harmon called Boston and they wouldn't pay what the Senators were offering. They actually had TWO chances to sign him!

Killebrew's swing was perfect for Fenway and he hit more HR there than any other ballpark, other than Metropolitan Stadium in Minnesota, of course.

50 a year for 20 years does seem conservative, Harm hit almost 50 a year during the 1960's playing in Minnesota!

edited to add; Killebrew slugged .619 in the games he played in Fenway during his career with an OPS of 1.038!

• Options

@daltex said:

Sorry, I can't resist talking about Killebrew.

• Options

@daltex said:

@LandrysFedora said:

Tony Conigliaro??

My mistake. Wrong Boston Red Sox player. Sorry.