Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

To break out or sell whole?

I am kinda new at trading cards. I have probably 30-40 sets I picked up. Is it smarter to break out the bigger cards from a set or keep it whole. Example: One of my sets is 78-79 NBA full set, the cards are 90% very-good to near mint. Other sets that are very common and sell for 12-15 dollars, may have 2-3 cards that would sell for that price or higher. And lastly I have a set of 1971 Topps football in a binder. It is a full set of 263, with 2 Simpsons ,Starrs, and Sayers.What say the experts? Thank you!

Comments

• Options

When grading was $10, I'd break sets all day and send the stars. Now, we can't do much with most of those cards, so I'd hold for now.

• Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with the above. With grading specials I'd take the stars and grade them and then bulk out the "commons". Like you I'm currently sitting on baseball sets from 1974 up that I can't decide what to do at this point. If you need or want to sell them now and are convinced the stars are mid grade I'd consider selling them as sets or maybe reaching out to one of the consignment guys who specialize like Greg Morris Sportscards. My 2 cents anyway.

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you post scans of some of the cards, you will get good answers.

Generally speaking on many sets, especially the 10-15 dollar sets, the value of the star cards is higher than the entire set will bring. Seems to be more player collectors than set collectors. Many times one single card is all that is desirable and the rest of the cards are not going to sell at any price.

HOWEVER, if your 1971 set is in high grade (post pictures) it could have good value.

In my opinion, grading fees are too high for sending in most cards.

The O.J. card in PSA 9 is worth $18,000.00;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353532436589?hash=item52502ce06d:g:5WAAAOSwgh1gxRKD&nma=true&si=jFX4r3IRyNggaeEsyC91YCT6cDo%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Show us what your O.J.'s look like!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    blaircountycoinblaircountycoin Posts: 220 ✭✭✭

Thanks for all of your feedback. My Simpson card is probably about a 4.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭✭

@blaircountycoin said:
    Thanks for all of your feedback. My Simpson card is probably about a 4.

Sounds like it got cut right and slashed left!