Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Comments

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

real as real can be.

cert number follows the rest of his cards posted for sale.

crazy though.

• Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

That's truly disgraceful...

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2021 4:03PM

I guess it could be a mech error like that PSA 3 1954 Berra card….but I must say, for all the talk of grading being super tough these days, I feel like I see a lot of freshly graded dogs on eBay…

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭

Wow. That is UGLY. Has to be an error. Look more like a 5 - MAYBE 6.

• Options
    dtsagent9dtsagent9 Posts: 69 ✭✭✭

Wow!!! I just looked at his other items for sale on eBay and he has a few charitable grades for sale. Maybe someone wasn't trained well.

• Options

i couldnt even list that w a straight face though.

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

That is simply ridiculous. I have been getting hammered on cards that are FAR superior to that one. Ugly and PSA should be embarrassed.

• Options
    edited August 6, 2021 4:32PM

There were four Younts in his sub, certs ending in 76 through 79….and this one is not and has not been on eBay. Maybe the actual 9 was accidentally interchanged with this 5?

• Options

How does that card make it past two separate graders with that grade? Doesn't make since.

• Options

Wow....definitely far from mint grade. Someone is already overpaying for that card.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2021 5:11PM

Yep has other cards with close serial numbers as well. I woonder if he got a up charge bill as well. Man
    That one would be a fun crack out and regrade and see if the fingerprint gives it a 9 again.

• Options

@handyman said:
    Yep has other cards with close serial numbers as well. I woonder if he got a up charge bill as well. Man
    That one would be a fun crack out and regrade and see if the fingerprint gives it a 9 again.

aha! so right. would definitely make an interesting case study.

• Options

This must have been graded at the exact time the grader seen 18 wheelers, full of cards, to be graded. Definitely in shell shock.

• Options

@Historicalwood71 said:
    This must have been graded at the exact time the grader seen 18 wheelers, full of cards, to be graded. Definitely in shell shock.

I think the biggest shock is knowing how well the card is already performing on auction.

• Options

@Vintagehoarder1986 said:

@Historicalwood71 said:

I think the biggest shock is knowing how well the card is already performing on auction.

Lol right

• Options

This really proves how many people are buying the graded slab and not the card.

• Options

Exactly!!!! It's like Zombie gold lol . Anything else is just ....Fake diamond

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

That grader should be fired on the spot

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every generously misgraded card I've ever seen in auction has sold for an amount that's in the neighborhood of the market price for the card/grade. There are enough people out there who don't care what the card actually looks like to create a robust market for these misfit cards. I guess it's a tribute to the brand strength and following PSA has built.

• Options

@gemint said:
    Every generously misgraded card I've ever seen in auction has sold for an amount that's in the neighborhood of the market price for the card/grade. There are enough people out there who don't care what the card actually looks like to create a robust market for these misfit cards. I guess it's a tribute to the brand strength and following PSA has built.

It's a monopoly. People are literally just paying for the label.

• Options

@gemint said:

half of this is correct. the other half is not.

• Options

@blurryface said:

@gemint said:

I'm sorry, mister expert.

• Options

@blurryface said:

@gemint said:

I'm sorry, mister expert.

not sure what your problem is. you misquoted the wrong person in your thread. i was the one that tried politely telling you the issues w your card. and psa is not a monopoly. you are subbing to sgc, correct?

• Options

How are they not a monopoly when they rule and overtake the market the way they do?

• Options

SGC or Beckett doesnt sell nowhere near the prices.

• Options

That's all I'm saying.

• Options

How are they not a monopoly when they rule and overtake the market the way they do?

simple. by definition. /convo.

• Options

@blurryface said:

How had the others not, though? PSA is trusted by collectors. They've gained the reputation to gain the top spot, but PSA is the only thing that sells for the most, unless you have a BGS 10 of some kind. Anyway, it's clear that someone wasn't doing their job on this Yount.

• Options

@blurryface said:

How had the others not, though? PSA is trusted by collectors. They've gained the reputation to gain the top spot, but PSA is the only thing that sells for the most, unless you have a BGS 10 of some kind. Anyway, it's clear that someone wasn't doing their job on this Yount.

im good. thank you though. enjoy your weekend!

• Options

@blurryface said:

See my post above. It seems pretty likely that two cards were accidentally switched and this should have been a PSA 5. Yes, that kind of error is still troubling in its lack of attention to detail. But I don’t believe this card was actually graded a 9.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

@blurryface said:

See my post above. It seems pretty likely that two cards were accidentally switched and this should have been a PSA 5. Yes, that kind of error is still troubling in its lack of attention to detail. But I don’t believe this card was actually graded a 9.

I sure hope you are right. Nice detective work!

• Options
    Vintagehoarder1986Vintagehoarder1986 Posts: 137 ✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2021 8:37PM

Not> @PaulMaul said:

@blurryface said:

Which would still mean that someone wasn't doing their job at PSA, but yes, very troubling indeed. Card is a far cry from a mint grade.

• Options

@blurryface said:

This is true. I get the frustration, though. PSA is the most trusted and revered grading company and they do hold a large share of the market. Still, there are other options. Use your wallet as you see fit.

• Options

@bobbybakeriv said:

@blurryface said:

This is true. I get the frustration, though. PSA is the most trusted and revered grading company and they do hold a large share of the market. Still, there are other options. Use your wallet as you see fit.

PSA is the market. They set the standard for the market...period. I have no problem with PSA, though. I actually love PSA. I dont agree with how dominant they necessarily are in the market, but I suppose they deserve it. If cards like this Yount start showing up, though? PSA might not look so great after one too many of these surface. Mistake or not, this makes PSA look really bad.

• Options
    edited August 6, 2021 9:26PM

@bobbybakeriv said:

@blurryface said:

PSA is the market. They set the standard for the market...period. I have no problem with PSA, though. I actually love PSA. I dont agree with how dominant they necessarily are in the market, but I suppose they deserve it. If cards like this Yount start showing up, though? PSA might not look so great after one too many of these surface. Mistake or not, this makes PSA look really bad.

It's not a good look, that's for sure. I will affirm that it is a cornered market but there are options. We (the consumer) still make the final call...for now. :)

• Options

@bobbybakeriv said:

@bobbybakeriv said:

@blurryface said:

It's not a good look, that's for sure. I will affirm that it is a cornered market but there are options. We (the consumer) still make the final call...for now. :)

Heres the deal....if people realize that Beckett and SGC are just as good of options, then perhaps prices will at least catch up to PSA. I dont think they would ever surpass PSA anytime soon, but if they would just open themselves up to these other options, I can see prices similar across the board compared to PSA. All it takes is people noticing big grading mistakes like this and looking into other options.

• Options
    Vintagehoarder1986Vintagehoarder1986 Posts: 137 ✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2021 9:39PM

If they vote with their wallet to other companies, prices will eventually catch up.

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like the bottom of the slab is frosted up. possibly a card swap?

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2021 7:30AM

It must be the no- puddle premium driving the price of this card up

• Options
    cpettimdcpettimd Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

Definitely a mechanical error. Likely multiple of same cards in the order that got switched or the next card in the number sequence

Collecting Clemente master (#6) and basic PSA registry sets, Hank Aaron master and basic sets, Mantle oddball issues, 1970's mega decade HOFs, 1967 Topps pin ups, and high grade Topps Clemente and Aaron. Numerous transactions with over 100 board members.
  • Options

the holder is fine. zero way it was swapped out. simple mechanical error as others already alluded.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Historicalwood71 said:

This may be a case study in buying the flip not the card.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options

can't wait to post all the 5's and 6's I just received on my order for comparison :'(

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 649 ✭✭✭✭

Nearly 8 days left and it is already at $260.

The last 3 PSA 5 sold for between $39-$51. People literally bidding on the plastic and not what's encased in the plastic.

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

PSA should bid or buy that back.

• Options

@1959 said:
    PSA should bid or buy that back.

PSA doesnt care, unless people start complaining. They're making their money, regardless.

• Options

I got back into the hobby about 8 years ago and didn't know much about graded cards. I liked the fact that PSA had a registry and you could build sets. For the first year or so I just found the card I needed and bought the cheapest one I could find in a high grade not really paying attention to how the card actually looked. After time I realized that not all 10's are the same. Let's just say I have a few cards I look at and shake my head. Now a days the card is what I look at and is most important. I think this happens when a lot of people get into collecting and that's why we see some of these cards sell for the money they do. Think it comes down to lack of knowledge/exsperiance.

• Options
    MrTimMrTim Posts: 16 ✭✭

Is there a business opportunity here? Fourth-party grading service to assess the authenticity and grading accuracy of slabbed cards? Put the slab in a meta-slab. :)

Yes, I'm joking. Sorry. I couldn't resist.

• Options
    edited August 8, 2021 12:12PM

@MrTim said:
    Is there a business opportunity here? Fourth-party grading service to assess the authenticity and grading accuracy of slabbed cards? Put the slab in a meta-slab. :)

Yes, I'm joking. Sorry. I couldn't resist.

i know it seems like one and are joking, but its already here and been here for a while actually. from pwcc eye appeal, mba diamond and several other companies that offer opinions on opinions and affix their sticker of approval on the slab.

https://www.mbadiamond.com/grading/standards

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cpettimd said:
    Definitely a mechanical error. Likely multiple of same cards in the order that got switched or the next card in the number sequence

This

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.