Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Dangerous Question.....How much cash....

So for the National....How much cash do you bring?

Comments

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

paypal app, braaaahhhhhh

• Options
    momo1234momo1234 Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

@billwaltonsbeard said:
    paypal app, braaaahhhhhh

Ok...lets stick with that premise.....do you think that you won't get a better price with cash? is cash still king in the pandemic world??

• Options
    tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

There are a lot of dealers that don't like people paying with PayPal because they will ultimately have to pay either fees or taxes or both on that sale. Cash is absolutely king. For really large purchases, dealers will work with you. Keep in mind the major dealers take credit cards and are not bothered by that. But take a lot of cash.
    kevin

• Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

Cash is King in every world. There is a large Card show in Boston every fall that I go to. I always bring $400.00 with me. I also have ideas of what large Item I want and then always have about $70 left over to buy small items here and there. These are things that I would normally would not buy but I have the cash with me and am willing to spend it. Since it is the National I would bring $1k with me. (but that is what I am willing to blow on cards at one point in time)

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

Less than $10k for me

• Options
    Mo_MentumMo_Mentum Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

Routinely, Mr. Mint, the great Alan Rosen, and Evan Gorodetski (spelling?), the "World's Most Handsome Dealer" (because he's always ready to hand some cash over for cards), used to show up at shows with sums of up to a million dollars in cash!

• Options

Cash will always be King, so long as a paypal payment can be disputed and reversed for up to 180 days! With paypal, funded by credit card, any seller who considers that payment final is fooling himself. After 180 days; then it's final. Cash, is final, which is why it will always be King.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

When the 1993 National was at the McCormick in Chicago; I had a little over 23 hundred in cash, but that was a different time.
    Those days there was the time of my life! :)

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

FMV of the cards I plan to buy plus 10%

• Options

Wow! I was 15 back then...and met Ernie banks at that show! still have the signed jersey and the pics my dad took....back then they didn't charge you extra for snapping photos of the players...definitely a simpler time.

@GroceryRackPack said:
    When the 1993 National was at the McCormick in Chicago; I had a little over 23 hundred in cash, but that was a different time.
    Those days there was the time of my life! :)

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    I go to Rosemont in the late winter and early spring before the show. I bury wads of cash in Mason jars all over the property so that I can retrieve them later. This serves several purposes.

1. I don't have to carry large amounts around in my pocket.
    2. The wife doesn't see me take a ton of cash out all at once.
    3. I won't spend it all before I get there
    4. The shovel sticking out of my backpack as I walk the show floor is a great conversation starter.

I used to go to the Rosemont show in the early - mid 90's; we would refer to the Rosemont show as the Sun-Times show because of the huge ad in the Chicago Sun Times. My best buys-sells actually happened in the parking lots even before I entered the building.
    --Yes I do agree with you not having all of your cash in 1 pocket, and I also did have a backpack with me.

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

I love my hometown. But I would not recommend having a large amount of cash on you while you're here.

It seems ridiculous/overkill but it's really not... If you have an old wallet and any expired credit cards, carry that in your front pants pocket and keep your big cash elsewhere on your body. The National attracts a lot of pros.

• Options
    Cubbies1416Cubbies1416 Posts: 55 ✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2021 12:44PM

I like to bring about $200 in cash, just in case I come across any real good deals, like when I picked up a very nice raw Frank Robinson rookie card for $145 from a dealer that was only accepting cash.

Unfortunately, this year I don't really have any money to spend on cards. I've spent money on a VIP pass and autographs, and I'm submitting some autographed items at the PSA booth for authentication, so that's where all of my funds are going to this year.

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enough to put a $100 good faith 30 min hold on any card you want. Then, retrieve cash from hotel safe.

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2021 4:57AM

Would a dealer consider Paypal "Friends and Family" from my PayPal Cash Balance as good as cash?

• Options

@DotStore said:
    Would a dealer consider Paypal "Friends and Family" from my PayPal Cash Balance as good as cash?

Some will be ok with Paypal, some will look at you like you've got an arm growing out of your face. So many dealers there, some digital and some are still analog.

• Options

Most collectors (NOT investors) take between $3,000 and $10,000 to the show. Oh hell yeah !!!

• Options

@basketballcollector said:
    Most collectors (NOT investors) take between $3,000 and $10,000 to the show. Oh hell yeah !!!

this is a very interesting point...I assume because investors are willing to throw more cash at something they look at as "flip" and collectors are just looking to buy FOR A PC?

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pick-pockets paradise :)

My opinion only Drug dealers carry around 2K or more in cash. Cash is still king but we all know it's tax dodge for sellers. In today's world there are a plethora of ways to make safe secure payments.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is about right for me. You need to have a cap to prevent you from mortgaging the bungalow. I was socially distancing in Rosemont with all that cash before it was cool. I kept my hand on the wad the whole time. I could see it being easy picking for a slick operator, too many collectors distracted by the pictures of men on cardboard.

Mike
  • Options

@DotStore said:

Paypal keeps a watchfuil eye on BUSINESS accounts that receive excessive "Friends and family" payments. By excessive, that can be as few as once and in some cases, never. No way to tell for sure what is going to trigger a spike in Paypal's algorhythms.

One thing for sure, considerably valuing my ability to send paypal invoices and do business with ebay/payal, to save a few points, no way would I even think of circumventing fees by declaring it to be something it is not. They can yank your account, freeze your account for 180 days for any reason whatsoever. And I mean ANY THING. Read the rules.

Not only is it foolish for a seller to try deceiving paypal as to the nature of the incoming funds, sending payment as a friend, negates your ability to seek any kind of recourse should there be an issue later on with what you bought.

Payment sent as family or friend means that if that raw 1956 Topps Mantle you bought for $1000 is submitted and comes back trimmed, you are on your own. You didn't buy anything. You sent money to a friend!

• Options
    JakeR2234JakeR2234 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

I have used the "wallet" that goes around your neck and you can hide under your shirt in the front. Trips to Europe will make that a necessity especially when carrying important stuff and large amounts of cash.

PC Walter Payton - Bear Down!

• Options

I have kept about 50-100 in my front pocket, easily available for short and quick transactions, and then have stashed the rest of my wad deep in my backpack in a zippered pocket that is only accessible from the inside of the main zippered area. Basically, if my backpack is stolen I'm screwed, but I figure that since it is always on my shoulder that would take a heck of an effort, and would likely be the kind of thing that would get stopped by security.
    kevin

• Options

@tulsaboy said:
    and would likely be the kind of thing that would get stopped by security.
    kevin

Quite possibly, if it was 2001. Fast forward 20 years and due to many factors, security is extremely limited in their ability to interact and deter a theft or assault, even taking place right in front of their face at arm's length. if present at all, security is there solely to observe, report, and do nothing more. They are not law enforcement and have no authority over anyone in public, whether they are in peaceful attendance or doing the opposite, in the act of robbing and or assaulting you. Security is not any form of check, control, or deterrent if someone sees you fishing into your backpack, pulling out cash, and decides right on the spot that they're going to cast their line into your bag and join your cash fishing expedition.

And someone ill-intent knows this quite well. That except for a police presence, nothing can be done by security if they want that pack by any means necessary.

Sorry to throw a wet blanket on the idea of flashing cash in public, but these are the hard facts about security. It's 2021. Security offers no more security than just one more pair of eyes in the crowd. If push comes to shove, they cannot and will not intervene.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mo_Mentum said:

@tulsaboy said:
    kevin

Quite possibly, if it was 2001. Fast forward 20 years and due to many factors, security is extremely limited in their ability to interact and deter a theft or assault, even taking place right in front of their face at arm's length. if present at all, security is there solely to observe, report, and do nothing more. They are not law enforcement and have no authority over anyone in public, whether they are in peaceful attendance or doing the opposite, in the act of robbing and or assaulting you. Security is not any form of check, control, or deterrent if someone sees you fishing into your backpack, pulling out cash, and decides right on the spot that they're going to cast their line into your bag and join your cash fishing expedition.

And someone ill-intent knows this quite well. That except for a police presence, nothing can be done by security if they want that pack by any means necessary.

Sorry to throw a wet blanket on the idea of flashing cash in public, but these are the hard facts about security. It's 2021. Security offers no more security than just one more pair of eyes in the crowd. If push comes to shove, they cannot and will not intervene.

While I agree that it is not a great idea to flash a ton of cash in public, I disagree on your take. Security will assist and not just stand by and watch.

There is also the fact that if you are walking down an aisle, there are probably hundreds of people around you. Other patrons WILL come to help. I have seen it happen more than once. No better sight than fellow collectors holding down a scumbag thief while waiting for the cops to show up to cuff them. It's one of the times it actually restores some of my faith in society.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2021 11:48AM

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@Mo_Mentum said:

@tulsaboy said:
    kevin

While I agree that it is not a great idea to flash a ton of cash in public, I disagree on your take. Security will assist and not just stand by and watch.

There is also the fact that if you are walking down an aisle, there are probably hundreds of people around you. Other patrons WILL come to help. I have seen it happen more than once. No better sight than fellow collectors holding down a scumbag thief while waiting for the cops to show up to cuff them. It's one of the times it actually restores some of my faith in society.

Based on personal experience, I agree with the idea that security will actually intervene in a situation as blatant as that, and that other patrons will more quickly intervene.
    kevin

• Options

It's one of the times it actually restores some of my faith in society.

That must be a nice feeling. I don't quite remember how that feels. Been decades since I experienced that sense of faith in society.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:

Pick-pockets paradise :)

My opinion only Drug dealers carry around 2K or more in cash. Cash is still king but we all know it's tax dodge for sellers. In today's world there are a plethora of ways to make safe secure payments.

The carrying around 2K or more drug dealer statement is such an old school, outdated way of thinking about things. I routinely carry more than 1K on me everyday but not to show off, it's because cash can get you out of some unreal/unfortunate situations.

I missed out on a really nice 1958 Topps Jim Brown PSA 8 rookie about 2.5 years ago thinking 10K would get it done, when in reality I needed 14K cash. At the time I thought the card was a prime example to bump to an 8.5.

For anyone carrying around more than 10K be extremely careful on how you proceed. For example don't let people see you have that much on you, guard your money well against pick pockets, take a friend, have an escape route if needed, etc....

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

@Cakes said:
    For anyone carrying around more than 10K be extremely careful on how you proceed. For example don't let people see you have that much on you, guard your money well against pick pockets, take a friend, have an escape route if needed, etc....

+1. Don't rely upon anything or anyone but yourself, and your own resources/assets for your security. Avoid situations that you lack a high level of control within. Keep your eyes moving and be aware of your surroundings and people in close proximity.

• Options

@Mo_Mentum said:

That must be a nice feeling. I don't quite remember how that feels. Been decades since I experienced that sense of faith in society.

Youtube search "people helping people". Good things are happening every day - it just takes some effort to find examples if you're not the one creating them. ;-)

• Options

@thehallmark said:

@Mo_Mentum said:

Youtube search "people helping people". Good things are happening every day - it just takes some effort to find examples if you're not the one creating them. ;-)

Oh heck yeah! The amount of videos where people are helping people, thus bestowing blessings on the ones they help as well as themselves is only dwarfed in number by the amount of youtube videos of people being helped by good Samaritans who had no idea that the blessings they bestowed upon those they helped would be returned to them in misery and pain for doing so.

Even the simplest act of helping others can go horribly awry for the good Samaritan, depending upon who they are, who they're helping, who's watching, and if who's watching takes issue.

Here's one example for the sake of brevity. It's a fairly demonstrative one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XkKgH3YLJE

for more, search "good deeds gone bad" and related wording.

And I'm not saying that people should refrain from others. I do it all the time. But it is getting more and more difficult to interact with anyone as we normally would decades ago, and it not be an issue with someone whose perception is a perfect 180 degrees of yours.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mo_Mentum said:

Mo, if you are at the National, I'm going to buy you one of those $9 cocktails they sell out on the floor.
    We are going to change your mind about society!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@balco758 said:
    Enough to put a $100 good faith 30 min hold on any card you want. Then, retrieve cash from hotel safe.

this is the only way.

carry a lil walking around cash & keep the stash at the hotel. just get a detailed invoice for the deposit. on certain occasions i even bring a small locking bank bag for inside the safe. never trust a vegas hotel room safe.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whatever happened to Gorodetski? A really likeable person. I met him at a
    show in Charlotte in 1985.

• Options

@Tibor said:

Chances favor this being him (publically accessible to all via google search:

State
    RI

Calendar Year

Employer
    City of Providence

Job Title
    Career & Employment Counselor

Annual Wage
    $71,277

• Options
    weaselpuppyweaselpuppy Posts: 218 ✭✭✭

You see San Francisco lately? Security won't do a dang thing.

I'm not licensed to carry, but when I work protective surveillance for a major utility, they explicitly write in the contract that you are to be unarmed and are there to observe and report only. Call the cops, then the security command center in that order.

Now, this is a job where I am watching a substation being hit by methheads for the copper grounding wire ( yes I've seen one electrocuted...VERY VERY BRIGHT all of a sudden)....or for people who popped off saying they'd come back and shoot up the place or HR or their boss I'm sitting down from their house seeing if they leave towards work...(no, no one has ever tried)

Easy money.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mo_Mentum said:

@Tibor said:

State
    RI

Calendar Year

Employer
    City of Providence

Job Title

they have BODA over there. looks like CUDA was just formed here. 😉

• Options

@blurryface said:

@Mo_Mentum said:

@Tibor said:

State
    RI

Calendar Year

Employer
    City of Providence

Job Title

they have BODA over there. looks like CUDA was just formed here. 😉

I. myself, prefer the '69 426 Hemi Bodacuda. <3

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know about the National, but I frequently have reasons to travel with large amounts of cash, and while there is a first time for everything, I've never had a problem. I just make somewhat of an effort to not look like I'm traveling with large amounts of cash. Beat up Nikes, faded Wranglers, some well worn t-shirt/hoodie with a sweat stained ball cap. When I really want to sell it, I maybe even get one of those digital wristwatches with the plastic strap that you see in the checkout lines at Wal-Mart, and pretend to be listening to my old SONY Discman (with no batteries) as I board the plane. One look at me and no one would ever suspect that I'm carrying 5 figures.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 9, 2021 3:49PM

@countdouglas said:
    I don't know about the National, but I frequently have reasons to travel with large amounts of cash, and while there is a first time for everything, I've never had a problem. I just make somewhat of an effort to not look like I'm traveling with large amounts of cash. Beat up Nikes, faded Wranglers, some well worn t-shirt/hoodie with a sweat stained ball cap. When I really want to sell it, I maybe even get one of those digital wristwatches with the plastic strap that you see in the checkout lines at Wal-Mart, and pretend to be listening to my old SONY Discman (with no batteries) as I board the plane. One look at me and no one would ever suspect that I'm carrying 5 figures.

That is until your post

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.