Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Would you buy an older PSA 10 that you think might not make a PSA 10 under current standards?

Would you buy a card graded years ago as a PSA 10 that you think might only be a PSA 9 using today's grading standards?

Comments

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

No way. Buying the flip and not the card is SO 10 years ago, lol 😂

• Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

Does the card show an obvious defect or is it just the assumption that it would be graded harder nowadays? Because a perfect card 10 years ago is still a perfect card today. Age old adage still applies today: buy the card, not the holder

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe, How many 9's do we already own that could easily be 10's?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    Maybe, How many 9's do we already own that could easily be 10's?

Lots, I’m happy buying those as 9s, not 10s.

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, especially if helps my registry set.

• Options
    WFFLWFFL Posts: 494 ✭✭✭

If centered with sharp corners, you bet.

• Options

@WFFL said:

There has to be a reason why it would not get a 10 today.

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

Yes, if it looks good...Plus with so many newbie investors a 10 is a 10. would be easier to sell. Newbies are not buying the card, they are buying holder. In MHO. So many 9's that used to be 10's because of the new super-duper magnification.

• Options
    Historicalwood71Historicalwood71 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Old psa 10's were stricter! Of course I'd buy an older psa 10. Can't go wrong

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually cannot afford (nor do I think they are worth) PSA 10's of the guy I collect.

I usually look for 9's and they too are often out of my price range :-(

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Historicalwood71 said:

huh?

• Options

huh? +1

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d buy the first PSA 10 certified and the newest certified.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rather buy todays 9 that would have 10’d a few years ago

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 553 ✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

@Historicalwood71 said:

huh?

Sounds like he is saying he prefers older holders because he felt they were more strict. I can personally say that that is not a true statement. I've seen cards in old flips that had no business being graded GEM. I once saw an 85 Fleer Clemens and although it had sharp corners but if you wanted to look at it straight, you would have had to tilt your head sideways. It was amazing to see to say the least. I have always believed that just like any other employee at a job, you have your good ones and then you have some that just do the minimum and are there simply to collect a check. Thank God it's Friday, oh God it's, Monday.

• Options
    ckimckim Posts: 24 ✭✭

I'll be extra diligent spending money for older PSA10s but rather be in lookout for recently graded PSA9s thats sharp and well centered for PC.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:

@WFFL said:

Not sure we have the latitude on this forum to give that a frank discussion.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:

@PaulMaul said:

@WFFL said:

Not sure we have the latitude on this forum to give that a frank discussion.

What I meant was, the respondent seemed to be saying he would buy the card if it was super nice, but I thought the premise was that the card was not super nice, and got a 10 because of more lenient grading in days or yore.

• Options

I think the standards or qualifications for a 10 are the same as years past, but because of new technology and microscopes it is easier to find flaws that were not as apparent as before. Therefore , less 10's and more 9's or 8's. I think the flippers don't care if it's an old 10 or a new 10 or what it looks like. They are buying to flip and I think it's mostly newer cards that they are buying because that's the players they know about.

• Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭

A 9 that has sharp corners and well centered can easily be a 10 next time around.

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 702 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks everyone for your input. The card I'm looking at is slightly off-centered both ways, and one of the corner edges looked like it had a little wear. Just looking at pictures of the card on eBay I get the feeling that if submitted today it would probably NOT be a PSA 10 -- more like a PSA 9 (maybe a 9.5 if PSA added that as a possible grade).

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

I made the decision years ago to NOT be the customer who pays the crazy premium for a PSA 10 label.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

@billwaltonsbeard said:
    I made the decision years ago to NOT be the customer who pays the crazy premium for a PSA 10 label.

Very sound decision. I like to buy PSA 9 and sub to get PSA 10's. In fact I am not sure I have ever purchased a PSA 10 card.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Please name a grading company that is 100% perfect in everybody's eyes. There will always be exceptions to the rule for collector's to hold up say "see, here's one".
    I just think a lot of people are sour that 10's are actually hard to get now.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

@steel75 said:
    Please name a grading company that is 100% perfect in everybody's eyes. There will always be exceptions to the rule for collector's to hold up say "see, here's one".
    I just think a lot of people are sour that 10's are actually hard to get now.

I cannot name another one because I have never used any other.

Of course we are sour when the standards and percentages have seemed to have changed IMHO.
    I totally understand that it's probably useless for me to quit bitching about it but it's taking me awhile for it to sink in.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭

This is an interesting discussion, because on these boards about 5-10 years ago, the theory was that the older flips had the tougher 10's and the newer flips had the looser 10's.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.