Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Let's see your Gretzky Rookies

I broke my PSA 7 out for some time off for good behavior and to get a good scan. Here is a little math problem a la the great one! In my eyes, the PSA 4 has the best eye appeal out of the three.

Comments

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

Tough to say! The card design makes cards that are off centered not look so bad but your 7 has a centered oil drip which the 4 doesn't and that makes the 7 look nicer to me.....

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

That's a beautiful 7, I too like it the best. Blue border is blemish free, nice rough cuts all round and really great looking OPC corners, it screams 8 if the back is as nice as the front

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 6.

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice 6 @balco758 !

@Jayman1982 The back is nice and it is a first print run as well :)

• Options
    professorpuckprofessorpuck Posts: 148 ✭✭✭

FWIW, the 'blue lines = first print run' concept is a contested idea. IMHO, the evidence for it is quite thin.

It may still be desirable, but that is more a function of collector groupthink than objective status.

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a beauty!

@Goldenage said:

• Options

What a beauty!

@Goldenage said:

• Options
    mrburns443mrburns443 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭✭

Here's my 7

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:

That’s one hell of a 5!

Jim

• Options
    rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

Great looking Gretzky's. I sold my Topps PSA 6 two years ago, and have regretted it ever since. Especially now with what its worth.

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@burghman said:

@Goldenage said:

That’s one hell of a 5!

It actually has the best color I’ve ever seen on any opc Gretzky rookie ever. The card is a strong PSA 6, but the color on it can not be beat. Not photo enhanced at all.

• Options

If anyone is looking for a nice cheap one, I have a beautiful PSA 2 in the June 15th PWCC auction. The centering is perfect, but it has a slight wrinkle on the yellow on front that doesnt go to the back. A beautiful card for the grade. No creases.

• Options

That is a great looking nine.

• Options
    tjhorn92tjhorn92 Posts: 36 ✭✭✭

Love this thread! I opened this as a kid and I’ve had it the last 40+ years.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

not my highest, but certainly my favorite. especially since he is a ud exclusive:

• Options
    saraceno21saraceno21 Posts: 49 ✭✭

Here is mine:

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

@saraceno21 said:
    Here is mine:

Nice GOATs!

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

heck of an entrance! welcome to the forums.

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't hate me (or throw me out 😆) because it's SGC. The rest of the set that accompanies this card is raw and NM.

Andy

• Options

Can someone tell me the best way to get this graded?

• Options

I'm sorry. I miss-posted what I intended to post. But can someone tell me the best way to get this card graded? As you can see, it has never been put into plastic. It's been in a box for over 40 years.

Thank you.

• Options

@RobinBaseballCard18 said:
    I'm sorry. I miss-posted what I intended to post. But can someone tell me the best way to get this card graded? As you can see, it has never been put into plastic. It's been in a box for over 40 years.

Thank you.

I'd say send it Super Express with a declared value of $4999 and have it graded for $300.

It looks like an 8, maybe a 7.

• Options

what do you think is wrong with it?

• Options

what do you think is wrong with it?

Not much wrong with it for sure, it's a beauty card! Without having it in hand to examine it's hard to be sure, but the top two corners look lightly touched (even the bottom left could have some white showing from a touch as well, hard to say for sure) and that would probably be what grades this as an 8 max. This is of course barring any major surface defects like a scratch, crease or dent not showing on the scan...

• Options

Thank you for your comments. For your information, it was probably touched no more than 5 times about 40 years ago, put in a the original topps dispenser, put into another box, and then stayed in that box for about 40 years. When I found the box, opened it, and when I touched it, it was with white cloth gloves. I've touched it only about 4 times.

Thanks again.

• Options
    jasp7735jasp7735 Posts: 26 ✭✭

It was a bvg 5.5

• Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭

I know...I know....mine doesn't REALLY count...but I thought I'd share it anyway (in honor of the GREAT ONE)....

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for your comments. For your information, it was probably touched no more than 5 times about 40 years ago, put in a the original topps dispenser, put into another box, and then stayed in that box for about 40 years. When I found the box, opened it, and when I touched it, it was with white cloth gloves. I've touched it only about 4 times.

Thanks again.

It doesn't matter how many times a card has been touched. What matters is the condition of a card. Many cards come directly off the press that would grade PSA 6, 7, 8 ... Off center, miscut, surface bubble/wrinkle, fisheye/print lines (as your Gretzky has on the top and left hand borders), etc. You have a nice card, but not a 6 figure card.

If there is someone close to you who can assist with protecting the card properly and submitting to PSA who has experience and expertise, I would enlist their assistance at this time.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    MrTimMrTim Posts: 16 ✭✭

Just graded and on a local truck out for delivery today: https://www.psacard.com/cert/63150045

• Options

Low grade wayner:

• Options

To Ahmanfan :smile:

Thank you for your comments.

• Options
    NeverSawMantleNeverSawMantle Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited September 2, 2021 5:45AM

This is mine. Came back 3.5. Should I crack and resubmit elsewhere? Corners are great, but have a little frosting. Was thinking a 5 at least, a possible 6, and hoping for a 7.

• Options

@MrTim said:
    Just graded and on a local truck out for delivery today: https://www.psacard.com/cert/63150045

Just took a look. Wow, what a beautiful 7. Congrats!

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658