Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Large 1976 Topps Football Collection - Insight?

Good Morning All,

My dad recently retired and is considering letting go of his football card collection in his effort to downsize. He's asked me to help him put out the feelers on value/buyers for his collection which lead me here.

Some of the highlights include:
170 Cello packs that have never been opened (2 of which have Walter Payton on top)
6 Cello display boxes (24 packs per box)
3 Full sets of Chicago Bears / 5 Walter Payton cards total
A little over 3100 open cards, all in very good to excellent condition.

I've spent a couple hours of reading and looking at other sets for sale and it seems that values are all over the place depending on the certified grade. Is it worth it to send the higher value cards to PSA to be graded, or should I let the next owner take that route? What's the best way to ship/insure them?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    KyserKyser Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2021 9:09AM

Google BBCE for the unopened stuff and I would PSA express the Payton single RCs.

• Options

@rcmb3220 said:
    Got any pictures? I imagine more than a few’s pants got a little tighter reading about 170 cello packs.

I've got a few photos, I'll try and upload them later today.

@Kyser said:

Google BCCE for the unopened stuff and I would PSA express the Payton single RCs.

I'll check them out. Thanks!

• Options
    jimqjimq Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

There's a lot of unopened collectors here, maybe try listing what you have and they might make offers/give advice. If you post good scans of the Payton rookies they can give you grading advice. Lots of good advice here. If you want a quick sale of the unopened maybe more luck if you google BBCE but like I said there are collectors here. Welcome and congrats to your dad on retiring!

• Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

You're looking at 6 figures here, and if you're not experienced with the material and handling that kind of sales volume, I'd strongly recommend consigning the whole thing. A good auction house can determine what is worth getting graded or certified and get that done for you before the auction.

I'd start with Heritage at ha.com. Others you can try are Robert Edward, Lelands, Memory Lane, Mile High Card Company, Goldin, and PWCC. The last two have some business practices some find objectionable, so do a little research first before you send them anything.

No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2021 11:15AM

Yeah thats probably 120,000-150,000 (edit to add probably more like 250,000+) maybe more worth of stuff. Depending on condition and other stars showing.
    Try and buy some empty display boxes as well and put some of the 170 loose packs back in boxes. Will also help the value.
    Edit to add
    Dang I might be way off now.
    https://sports.ha.com/itm/football/1976-topps-football-cello-box-with-24-unopened-packs-payton-rookie-year-/a/50038-80226.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515
    A single cello box sold for 23,000.00
    So double or more my guess.

• Options
    ringerringer Posts: 342 ✭✭✭

😵holy smokes.

• Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

Winner! Great 1st post.
    We like pictures 👍

• Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd suggest saving at least one cello box for the group if we give you solid advice that you take. We love doing group breaks here ! :D

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options

Thanks for all the insight everyone, sounds like I have some more homework to do.

I'll report back when I've gotten a little further along and with some quality photos.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's an amazing collection with a huge amount of value. I'd recommend reaching out to a major auction house to realize full value. Robert Edwards Auctions is a very reputable one. I know the acquisitions guy personally, so if you want his info, feel free to PM me.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Jenny?

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be interested in some packs. Once you post the scans, I can make an offer.

• Options
    CentauriCentauri Posts: 122 ✭✭✭

@MantleFan23 said:
    Jenny?

Heh / this was my first thought too

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Centauri said:

@MantleFan23 said:
    Jenny?

Heh / this was my first thought too

Say what you want about Jenny but she/he sold me a 1973 pack that had Rose on one side and Clemente on the other. It was slabbed by BBCE.

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mike0032 said:
    Thanks for all the insight everyone, sounds like I have some more homework to do.

I'll report back when I've gotten a little further along and with some quality photos.

This will be an amazing new to the hobby find. Looking forwards to seeing the pictures.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options

TTT looking forward to see pics of this collection.

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bueller...…Bueller...…Bueller

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like Jenny struck again

• Options

TTT.

• Options
    WillymacWillymac Posts: 204 ✭✭✭

$$$$$$ holy cow - you didn’t get a Payton from the one on top right? That’s still closed?

• Options
    JakeR2234JakeR2234 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

Wow, that's pretty amazing. Sitting on a gold mine there.

76 Football cellos are at the peak of my interest in the hobby- if you have any questions please feel free to reach out. I like to think I know quite a bit about them in particular.

PC Walter Payton - Bear Down!

• Options
    WillymacWillymac Posts: 204 ✭✭✭

Good luck wading through your DM’s with all the offers ;-)

• Options

@Willymac said:
    $$$$$$ holy cow - you didn’t get a Payton from the one on top right? That’s still closed?

Nope, haven't opened any of them. I believe there are two unopened packs with Payton on top.

@JakeR2234 said:
    Wow, that's pretty amazing. Sitting on a gold mine there.

76 Football cellos are at the peak of my interest in the hobby- if you have any questions please feel free to reach out. I like to think I know quite a bit about them in particular.

Thanks Jake!

• Options
    PastaBoyPastaBoy Posts: 175 ✭✭✭

Dang sweet. I don't know anything but my only suggestion is to carefully get rid of those rubber bands I see on some open stacks in 1st pick. Good luck, man!

• Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mike0032 said:

Sorry, haven't been here in a while and haven't made much progress since life has been busy lately. Here are a few photos

Beautiful and very valuable stuff he has there. Quickest route to getting money in your/his pocket is to sell here. Lots of unopened collectors here. Most profitable way would probably be to send this all to REA, memory lane or another large auction house. That Payton pack looks beautiful, I'd love to have it in my PC as would a lot of others on here I bet.

Jeff

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options

Yeah those are .25 for each pack as they say It on all of them. I’ll give you .50 per pack if interested let me know.

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

That's fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a beautiful array of cello boxes!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@PastaBoy said:
    Dang sweet. I don't know anything but my only suggestion is to carefully get rid of those rubber bands I see on some open stacks in 1st pick. Good luck, man!

Bands removed!

Thanks for all the comments and insight everyone.

• Options

Fine Ill double my offer

• Options
    Geoff76Geoff76 Posts: 149 ✭✭✭

Those 76 Paytons are a sight to behold. Awesome. I recently sent an 86 Payton for grading and have been acquiring some raw Paytons from the early 80s and late 70s. He was a beast...At the end of his career, I remember when the Bears were upset at home by Washington in January 1988 and seeing Walter with his hands on his helmet on the sideline knowing it was all over. Good luck!

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoDodgersFan said:
    Get the boxes authenticated with Steve Hart at the Baseball Card Exchange ASAP. Do not ship them, but personally drive them to BBCE. Too easy to damage these boxes with any mail carrier.

Agree 100%. Any sales you make will be significantly higher if they are verified and wrapped by BBCE. Any auction house would give favorable terms on a consignment - or if you want no fees do your research and list here on the board. The two boxes with a Payton will be hard to value and would definitely do well at an auction. The others you can probably establish a value to sell but you would get more favorable terms with the auction house if you list them all with them.

Those are very cool. Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    Canes8387899101Canes8387899101 Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

Read the Auction in Delaware thread. This is why you should personally drive them to BBCE to be authenticated like GoDodgerFan said.
    Awesome Cello Boxes/Payton's!!!

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭

Heritage just sold a bbce wrapped 1976 fb cello box for $15k but that includes all the buyer premiums. Seller probably received $10-12k for it depending on what seller fees were given.

• Options

You will get the most money if you have the wrapped by BBCE and then list them on ebay yourself and slowly sell them.
    You will also make more money if you just keep them. LOL. They are always going up in value every year.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

I second the comment of getting them wrapped by BBCE, but drive them yourself. do not entrust those with USPS, Fed Ex or UPS. too much risk of loss or damage.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.