Home Sports Talk
Options

Madison Bumgarner No-hits Braves - Doesn't Count as Official

SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, this stupid 7-inning game rule for double-headers has claimed it's first victim.

Madison Bumgarner no-hit the Braves today 7-0, but it won't count in the record books since it was less than 9-innings.

https://espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31334252/madison-bumgarner-throws-seven-hitless-innings-shortened-win-arizona-diamondbacks-go-books-no-hitter

Steve

Comments

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a fan of this rule, for this very reason/example.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing how stupid things have gotten.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Agree it must be a 9 inning game to count.
    But the other rule........................................

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t even know what the other rule is? As far as a no hitter through 7, in my opinion it’s not a true no hitter bottom line

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe it was 1997 when Pedro threw a 9 inning perfect game, but it went to extras and didn't count.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2021 7:29AM

The whole double header was a pain to watch as a Braves fan. Looked like the team went out and got hammered Sat night since the game got postponed and was hung over at the plate and on the mound. At least I had a good cigar for the dumpster fires.

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Let’s just get back to playing full 9 inning doulbe headers.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this rule is garbage. Why should Mad Bum not get credit for a no hitter yesterday? MLB (Manfred) created this rule stating the games in this doubleheader scenario are to be 7 inning games. The man pitched a no-no in a game mandated by mlb rules as a 7 inning game, that should be the end of story, it should be a no hitter in the books. And I'm saying this as a die hard Braves fan who suffered through this nightmarish double header yesterday.

• Options

What is this rule!!!!!!! I demand to know!

• Options

MLB and the MLBPA have agreed to continue in 2021 the implementation of certain rules changes adopted in 2020 in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, per multiple reports. Specifically, any doubleheaders that are played in 2021 will have both games be seven innings, rather than nine innings, and when games go into extra innings, a runner will be placed on second base to start each inning.

• Options

@LandrysFedora said:
    MLB and the MLBPA have agreed to continue in 2021 the implementation of certain rules changes adopted in 2020 in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, per multiple reports. Specifically, any doubleheaders that are played in 2021 will have both games be seven innings, rather than nine innings, and when games go into extra innings, a runner will be placed on second base to start each inning.

Thank you! 🍻

• Options

@perkdog said:

@LandrysFedora said:

Thank you! 🍻

You're welcome.

• Options
    ringerringer Posts: 342 ✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2021 4:07AM

A little bit different, but Harvey Haddix threw 12 perfect innings and ended up losing in the 13th.He didn’t get credit for a perfect game either.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ringer said:
    A little bit different, but Harvey Haddix threw 12 perfect innings and ended up losing in the 13th.He didn’t get credit for a perfect game either.

Armando Galarraga retired 28 straight guys and didn't get credit for a perfect game either.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@ringer said:

Armando Galarraga retired 28 straight guys and didn't get credit for a perfect game either.

That ump should have been fired for missing that call. Not a Tigers fan but I felt so bad for Galarraga. A sports travesty.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LandrysFedora said:

@Tabe said:

@ringer said:

That ump should have been fired for missing that call. Not a Tigers fan but I felt so bad for Galarraga. A sports travesty.

The Commissioner should have overruled the call and changed it to a perfect game. Not like it would set a precedent, unless another blown call on the 27th out of a perfect game ever happens again despite replay.

• Options

So, the only way a pitcher can pitch a no hitter in a double header would be to pitch 9 innings, 2 being extra innings, and have the asterisk(?) with an extra inning designation.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

So then if the game had gone into extra innings and they went past 9, then it would be "official enough" to count? This is ridiculous.

MLB scheduled the game as seven innings and are counting all of the statistics as official, so why not the no-hitter? I don't like the seven inning thing either, but if that is what MLB will count as an official game, then it should all count. Did they go back and retroactively wipe away Babe Ruth's records because he only played in 154-game seasons and not 162 like modern players?

I don't like to sound like one of those "it was better back in my day" kinda guys, but...

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AFLfan said:
    So then if the game had gone into extra innings and they went past 9, then it would be "official enough" to count? This is ridiculous.

MLB scheduled the game as seven innings and are counting all of the statistics as official, so why not the no-hitter? I don't like the seven inning thing either, but if that is what MLB will count as an official game, then it should all count. Did they go back and retroactively wipe away Babe Ruth's records because he only played in 154-game seasons and not 162 like modern players?

I don't like to sound like one of those "it was better back in my day" kinda guys, but...

It WAS better back in our day.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@AFLfan said:

It WAS better back in our day.

It sure was. Topps packs were 5 cents.