Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Does anyone have a value for this card?

New at this. I have been given this card and have looked through the Internet without any luck. I did find a rookie card same year, same player but not the same card. Does anyone have an idea what the value of this card would be in PSA 9 or 10? Your help would be greatly appreciated. 97 Andruw Jones Mirror Gold Certified.
Thanks, John

Comments

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2021 11:55AM
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like none have sold.... POP of 3..

https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices/baseball-cards/1997-pinnacle-certified-team/62935

Being that it is an insert and not the regular card, not going to be a windfall. Saw a non-gold sell for $1.50 on ebay. Maybe in 5 years when you can submit for $10 it might be worth grading!

• Options
    jimqjimq Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

Your holder says "mirror gold". I don't think the mirror golds have stars on front. Regular gold of a common with that kind of centering might be a dollar or 2, maybe not something to grade. Sill always nice to be given cards though!

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭✭

Someone went to a lot of trouble with that holder.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    ringerringer Posts: 342 ✭✭✭

I’m surprised at how cheap Andruw Jones cards are. IMO he’s a certain HOFer but his cards don’t seem to reflect that.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ringer said:
    I’m surprised at how cheap Andruw Jones cards are. IMO he’s a certain HOFer but his cards don’t seem to reflect that.

Not certain. Better than A LOT of HoF center fielders, not quite as good as Lofton, but the voters don't seem convinced. At least he wasn't "one and done" like Lofton.

• Options
    ringerringer Posts: 342 ✭✭✭
    edited April 6, 2021 9:30AM

@daltex said:

@ringer said:

Not certain. Better than A LOT of HoF center fielders, not quite as good as Lofton, but the voters don't seem convinced. At least he wasn't "one and done" like Lofton.

I’m an Indians fan but Jones was better than Lofton. Jones better on defense, even though Lofton was great, too. Lofton better BA and speed. Jones better power and rbi. But Jones might be the greatest defensive CF ever.

• Options

@ringer said:

@daltex said:

@ringer said:

I’m an Indians fan but Jones was better than Lofton. Jones better on defense, even though Lofton was great, too. Lofton better BA and speed. Jones better power and rbi. But Jones might be the greatest defensive CF ever.

All that said, Jones was washed up as a CF by 30, while Lofton was able to contribute until he was 40. In my mind that puts him slightly ahead. It's very close, and I can't object if you go the other way, but you just can't say one is a HoFer and the other should be off after the first ballot.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jones played in more games. He also had an 11 year streak where he played virtually every game.

Lofton missed a LOT of games. He lasted longer, but he didn't start playing full time until he was 25. Ken's (only?) claim to fame was him winning the SB title five straight years.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    Jones played in more games. He also had an 11 year streak where he played virtually every game.

Lofton missed a LOT of games. He lasted longer, but he didn't start playing full time until he was 25. Ken's (only?) claim to fame was him winning the SB title five straight years.

And Jones was done at 35 while Lofton could play a competent centerfield until 40. Jones played only 93 more games than Lofton (Lofton actually played 1885 2/3 MORE innings in centerfield than Jones). You and I are never going to agree on whether it matters if a player misses all his games in a bunch or scattered throughout his career, and that's fine. I have hope that you'll see that there is more to determining which player-season is better than listing (raw) OPS.

If you think that's Lofton's only claim to fame is stolen bases, we'll have to agree you don't know much about baseball.

• Options
    edited April 7, 2021 12:44PM

@daltex said:

@JoeBanzai said:

And Jones was done at 35 while Lofton could play a competent centerfield until 40. Jones played only 93 more games than Lofton (Lofton actually played 1885 2/3 MORE innings in centerfield than Jones). You and I are never going to agree on whether it matters if a player misses all his games in a bunch or scattered throughout his career, and that's fine. I have hope that you'll see that there is more to determining which player-season is better than listing (raw) OPS.

If you think that's Lofton's only claim to fame is stolen bases, we'll have to agree you don't know much about baseball.

You could explain to me how there's a difference between the 5 early years where Lofton wasn't in the MLB and the 5 Jones played.

Jones had some great hitting years 1997-200, from the age of 20-24, averaging about 30 HR per year and an OPS+ of 109.

Lofton didn't make it to the majors full time until he was 25, so Jones had a great start to his career and Lofton did nothing.

From the age of 25 to 30 they were both great. Who was better?

Jones hit 192 HR (38 per yr) and drove in 558 runs with an OPS+ of 124 and 5GG.

Lofton hit for an average of .317, averaged 65 SB per year had an OPS+ of 118 and won 4GG.

Now from 31 on is where Lofton makes his move;

Jones plays 94 games and then goes to Japan for a couple of years. Pretty much nothing.

Lofton plays 123 games per year and has a 102 OPS+ over the next 5 seasons.

I really don't see how Loftons final 5 years are better than Jones' first five and in the "middle" 5 seasons they were pretty even, with Lofton being a "table setter" kind of player and Jones being more of a "slugger". Both have great offensive value.

NEITHER of these guys really had much of a "claim to fame" as far as being league leaders, other than Loftons 5 straight years leading the league in SB and Jones' 10 straight Gold Gloves.

Looks to me to be two pretty even players, with Jones being a lot better hitter for power and Lofton a better hitter for average and much better base stealer.

Both great in the outfield.

In the 10 years where they were both great players Jones played in nearly every single game and Lofton missed a LOT of time.

Lofton played longer as an "old man" and Jones made it to the big leagues 5 years sooner, I'll take the young man years, but it's close.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

I think you drastically overrate Jones from 2008 to 2011. Can we agree that when Jones was good he was great, but when he wasn't very good, he was horrible, while Lofton was rarely great, but very good for as long as Jones was great, and still a valuable contributor outside of that. Not good, but not horrible, either?

Anyway, I had two points in this thread: 1, that Jones after four years is getting fewer than half of the votes he'd need to be enshrined so, while deserving, he's not a lock HoFer and 2, that Jones and Lofton are close enough in value that it is frankly bizarre that Jones has been increasing his HoF votes for four years, while Lofton didn't seriously contend to make a second ballot. I think Lofton was a little better, I'm fine with people thinking Jones was a little better. The difference probably comes down to Jones' defense, and we don't have metrics to weigh that with high confidence. That is we know Jones was better than Johnny Damon and worse than Ken Griffey, but we can't really be sure how he compares to Lofton and Ashburn, and I'm OK with that.

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2021 11:26PM

@daltex said:
    I think you drastically overrate Jones from 2008 to 2011. Can we agree that when Jones was good he was great, but when he wasn't very good, he was horrible, while Lofton was rarely great, but very good for as long as Jones was great, and still a valuable contributor outside of that. Not good, but not horrible, either?

Anyway, I had two points in this thread: 1, that Jones after four years is getting fewer than half of the votes he'd need to be enshrined so, while deserving, he's not a lock HoFer and 2, that Jones and Lofton are close enough in value that it is frankly bizarre that Jones has been increasing his HoF votes for four years, while Lofton didn't seriously contend to make a second ballot. I think Lofton was a little better, I'm fine with people thinking Jones was a little better. The difference probably comes down to Jones' defense, and we don't have metrics to weigh that with high confidence. That is we know Jones was better than Johnny Damon and worse than Ken Griffey, but we can't really be sure how he compares to Lofton and Ashburn, and I'm OK with that.

I can't argue like you but Johnny Damon and almost 3000 hits is probably getting into the HOF, no?

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options

@jackstraw said:

@daltex said:

I can't argue like you but Johnny Damon and almost 3000 hits is probably getting into the HOF, no?

Possible. No one has any idea what the various veterans committees are going to do, but the BBWAA gave him half what they gave Lofton.

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

I can’t even fathom a world where Johnny Damon is in the HoF.

• Options
    edited April 8, 2021 7:23AM

@daltex said:
    I think you drastically overrate Jones from 2008 to 2011.

No, he was washed up pretty much by then. He did have a pretty good year in 2008. My point was his 5 early years make up for Lofton's 5 late years. As you said, it doesn't matter when you do it, their numbers end up being pretty close.

Can we agree that when Jones was good he was great, but when he wasn't very good, he was horrible, while Lofton was rarely great, but very good for as long as Jones was great, and still a valuable contributor outside of that. Not good, but not horrible, either?

Sounds fair, Jones had 4 great years; 2000, 2002 2005-6. Lofton had one fantastic (shortened) year in 1994 and lot of decent hitting years.

Again fair enough. I don't see either going in the HOF, so I don't pay much attention to who's getting what for votes.

Both had some hitting deficiencies. Jones should have walked more (very low OBP) with the power he had, and Lofton couldn't hit home runs(very low SLG).

I do like Jones' 11 year run where he missed about 5 games a year and had a great SLG. Of course he dropped off the planet after that.

Both should go in the Hall of very good.

• Options
    picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

@jackstraw said:

@daltex said:

uhmm.. No

• Options

@GreenSneakers said:
    I can’t even fathom a world where Johnny Damon is in the HoF.

And yet he's better than the average player considered by the various veterans committees. To me this is not a reason to enshrine Damon but to disband the committees.

• Options
    In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

Back to the issue then, this card is of little to no value?

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jones is greatest defensive CF of last 50 years if not all time. Not a lot of highlight reel catches because he was ALWAYS in position to make the routine catch. 430? HRs not bad too.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options

@In4apenny said:
    Back to the issue then, this card is of little to no value?

I'm not able to detect all the differences on the newer cards, but it sure looks like the one (above) not selling on eBay for $10.60.