Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My mom never threw out my cards but...

Canes8387899101Canes8387899101 Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
edited February 19, 2021 5:05PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Forty years ago my mom thought she was being helpful, and laminated some of my cards. Here is the one that makes me pour a glass of bourbon when I look at, or even think about the card. Yes, I still love my mom, but I can hear you all collectively screaming NOOOOOOO! I'm pretty sure this could only be graded authentic, and would come back as authentic altered. It was trimmed from the laminate, and maybe the card was cut a little when cutting it out? I'll let you all be the judge of that. Rumor has it that grading costs will be going up, so I was thinking of sending this in at the $50 level for grading? Sorry for the phone pics. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭✭

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

You are right, but you do have to see the Humor in it, just a Loving Mother Laminating her kids Hockey cards to help preserve them. Well it did the job, I think, there's no additional wear!

Sorry Dude, but it is Funny!

YeeHaw!

Neil

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ill give you 2 bottles of bourbon for it.
    You take now!

• Options

@handyman said:
    Ill give you 2 bottles of bourbon for it.
    You take now!

If I did take now that better be the best bourbon I ever had! :D

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2021 4:55PM

You wont remember any of this terrible situation your mom got you in. I guarantee it.

• Options

Appreciate the bourbon offer handyman, but if I drank that high end of bourbon I would have replaced it with high grade copy! Seriously, will PSA even grade this as authentic?

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

Cut it as close to the card as you can and use a hair dryer to warm it. If you can get some air between the two sides of laminate, you might be able to separate them and remove it without much damage.

• Options

@baz518 said:
    Cut it as close to the card as you can and use a hair dryer to warm it. If you can get some air between the two sides of laminate, you might be able to separate them and remove it without much damage.

Baz, Thank you for the advice. I tried to separate the laminate on another card, and ripped the back off the card. However, I didn't use a hair dryer to get air between the laminate. For now the card is just part of my PC, and I'm not sure I have the stones to try it on that card!

• Options
    Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

The lamination sticks because the two sides literally melt together. With the gloss on the front, the lamination might not stick to it. But the back is much more porous. I don't think there's any way you're getting that off.

• Options

@Copyboy1 said:
    The lamination sticks because the two sides literally melt together. With the gloss on the front, the lamination might not stick to it. But the back is much more porous. I don't think there's any way you're getting that off.

Yeah, I'm going to leave it alone. No reason to destroy the card completely.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2021 6:43PM

My mother threw out my brothers shoe box full of cards 1951-1962 when he went into the Army. I asked him about them 25 years ago. He was a huge Cardinals fan and traded away most for Cardinals. He said they most likely were in the 3-5 range a few higher. No Mantles thank goodness but still.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    19591959 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

Send it to PSA as a Topps Glossy. You may get one of their new graders. '' Sir, This came right out of the pack I bought at 7-11 in 1980. It is from the Topps Glossy set as every card in the pack was glossy. This is legit if only as a one of one or factory error. Let me speak to your supervisor."

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I saw the title of the thread I didn't expect it to be that much of a white whale of a card. That's insane!

You could always put it on ebay for BIN. I bet there is someone out there that thinks they can fix it.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭

Ouch - still better than being thrown out.

• Options

@2dueces said:
    My mother threw out my brothers shoe box full of cards 1951-1962 when he went into the Army. I asked him about them 25 years ago. He was a huge Cardinals fan and traded away most for Cardinals. He said they most likely were in the 3-5 range a few higher. No Mantles thank goodness but still.

Still a lot of Musial's---painful!

• Options

@1959 said:
    Send it to PSA as a Topps Glossy. You may get one of their new graders. '' Sir, This came right out of the pack I bought at 7-11 in 1980. It is from the Topps Glossy set as every card in the pack was glossy. This is legit if only as a one of one or factory error. Let me speak to your supervisor."

I always get the graders of death when I submit, so there is no chance I get the clueless grader. However, I like your thinking!

• Options

@Cakes said:
    When I saw the title of the thread I didn't expect it to be that much of a white whale of a card. That's insane!

You could always put it on ebay for BIN. I bet there is someone out there that thinks they can fix it.

Cakes, for now I'm just keeping it in my PC. Yeah, I still have a few others that my mom laminated, but thankfully no others like the Gretzky. Maybe you know if this can be graded authentic? It would be nice if I could get it slabbed, since I pulled it from a pack and know that it is real. If I can't get it slabbed I'm sure a BIN will work in the future, but there is no way that lamination is coming off without destroying the card!

• Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

I must say she did a beautiful job!

chaz

• Options

@Canes8387899101 said:

@Cakes said:

Cakes, for now I'm just keeping it in my PC. Yeah, I still have a few others that my mom laminated, but thankfully no others like the Gretzky. Maybe you know if this can be graded authentic? It would be nice if I could get it slabbed, since I pulled it from a pack and know that it is real. If I can't get it slabbed I'm sure a BIN will work in the future, but there is no way that lamination is coming off without destroying the card!

I get what you are saying but what you never know what listing it with a high BIN price could bring.

On a slightly dif subject my buddy has a custom home and in his basement he has a bar with about 50 nice cards that he shellacked into the wood around 5 years ago. They like yours, still look nice, clear, and well preserved but it kills me to see it. With the explosion in prices what once was probably 500 dollars worth of cards in now probably 3 to 5 thousand.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

we positively confident that this isn't the uber rare 1979 topps toledo tiffany test card & true ebay 1/1 gretzky i've heard so much about?

• Options

@blurryface said:
    we positively confident that this isn't the uber rare 1979 topps toledo tiffany test card & true ebay 1/1 gretzky i've heard so much about?

Only if his Mom's first name is Tiffany. It's more likely Karen though.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2021 11:12PM

btw: i agree w baz. i'd try to snip just the tiniest corner or edge, maybe go at it w a needle/pin and try to get a little air in there to see if it forgives. if so, it will prolly come off easily.

let's just say, i've done this many moons ago w a particular id for some particular reason and the id inside the laminate came out completely unscathed alarmingly easy. then relaminated for some unbeknownst reason.

eta: looks like there's plenty off room to fiddle around w in the top right corner? what the worst that could happen?

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

eta: looks like there's plenty off room to fiddle around w in the top right corner? what the worst that could happen?

You get those uber rare BLANK BACK and BLANK FRONT Topps Gretzky rookies. Those rank up there with the BLANK BACK OPC Patrick Roy rookies that pop up every now and then!

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2021 5:30AM

I think you should get your mom to laminate your Orr, Mario and Gordie rookies so you have a matched set

That is a step up from being gone.

Not sure but PSA just might give you an authentic and case it.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

I was waiting on the Topps Tiffany comments. Thank you Baz and Blurryface for advice on how to remove the lamination, but I don't want the rare front and blank back, so I'm not messing with it. No matching sets Jay, since I really haven't much collected hockey, but mom is not allowed near a laminator anymore! Also, thank you Jay for answering if PSA would slab the Gretzky. I know this isn't a common occurance, so I may just email customer service to see if it can be slabbed.