Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Picked this coin up. Unfamiliar area?

Hi guys, I'm mostly from across town (U.S. Coin Forum). Bought this ancient coin on a last whim. I just liked the appearance and date.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• harashaharasha Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Appears to be Mars standing left. He would be holding a branch and spear. Complete legend probably is VIRTVS AVGVSTI.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is known today as an antoninianus. That name is apparently modern in origin and was not used in ancient times. They are some called double denarius but even that is often called into question.

The coin itself is very low grade and not of great value. The coins of this era are often found in ancient hoards. Be more selective and wait for better condition pieces.

All glory is fleeting.
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2020 12:48AM

@291fifth said:
    The coin itself is very low grade...

What do you expect for a coin that's over 1900 yrs. Old? Lol
    Just kidding. Thanks for the info. ;)

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • It's a common coin, as far as ancient Roman coins go, but from an interesting period in Roman history. This denomination was originally minted in silver, and was worth two silver denarii. However, over the years, as the expenses of defending the Empire's frontiers strained the imperial budget, the purity of the silver in these coins was steadily reduced. A sharp decline to under 5% silver occurred after Gallienus' father, Emperor Valerian, was captured by the Persians while on campaign in the East in 260 AD. Traditionally bronze coins soon fell out of use, since these "silver" coins were little better than bronze themselves.

The quality of the antoninianus remained abysmal until the strong emperor Aurelian restored some semblance of order to both the Empire and its coinage. Coins of good silver wouldn't be reintroduced until 294 AD, and would remain largely subordinate to the gold coinage, the most stable form of money in the late Roman Empire.

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
    edited December 16, 2020 12:47AM

@TitusFlavius said:
    It's a common coin, as far as ancient Roman coins go, but from an interesting period in Roman history. This denomination was originally minted in silver, and was worth two silver denarii. However, over the years, as the expenses of defending the Empire's frontiers strained the imperial budget, the purity of the silver in these coins was steadily reduced. A sharp decline to under 5% silver occurred after Gallienus' father, Emperor Valerian, was captured by the Persians while on campaign in the East in 260 AD. Traditionally bronze coins soon fell out of use, since these "silver" coins were little better than bronze themselves.

The quality of the antoninianus remained abysmal until the strong emperor Aurelian restored some semblance of order to both the Empire and its coinage. Coins of good silver wouldn't be reintroduced until 294 AD, and would remain largely subordinate to the gold coinage, the most stable form of money in the late Roman Empire.

Thanks for the info. I like your sig line.

@harasha said:
    Appears to be Mars standing left. He would be holding a branch and spear. Complete legend probably is VIRTVS AVGVSTI.

Thanks ;)