Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Brick and Mortar Card Shops

KendallCat posted about a new shop he found in MN recently and it got me thinking: When do you use these shops? When I was a kid, it was the only way I had available to get stuff but these days there are just so many online options. Many card shops have even opened up their own Ebay stores. They tend to overprice the selection on-hand and finding anything in the stores that isn't already on display can be a frustrating and fruitless experience. On top of that, they tend to pay less for stuff you bring in than you can get by throwing it up on Ebay, also.

Do you shop at these stores anymore? If so, do you go in with a clear objective or just browse hoping to get lucky? What are the reasons you would go there vs buying/selling online? What about trading? Do the hobby shops still offer that?

Comments

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess it really depends on the store. In the Northern Virginia area there is a nice shop called Blowout Cards in Chantilly. The staff is nice, knowledgeable, and will help with odd ball questions. They also have tables setup to rip and there are usually a couple people ripping, sometimes some heavy duty, expensive stuff that I cannot afford....lol. In general you can also trade right on the spot what you rip and it's just an overall pleasant atmosphere.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

I just have been disappointed whenever I go into one of the few around me. Very few graded cards, Maybe it's a good time to open a new one. Nothing like that exists near me and, living in the Boston area, you'd think nice places would be all over. To be fair, I haven't actually gone into Boston proper to see what is there. I stay away from the city if I can help it!

• Options
    Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

Around here (Bay Area) the ones I know of are tiny shops in run-down strip malls with one old dude and 2 or 3 buddies who just hang out all day. They rarely have anything decent - just a few boxes of recent stuff and a glass case full of over-priced (almost) gradeable cards.

Last time I was in, I was looking for some graded storage boxes. The guy didn't have any, but said he could get me some. When he texted me later that day, he wanted $25 per box. I ordered them for $5 on Amazon.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

it has been years since a decent card shop operated in my area. i miss those days

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@canyoubelieveit said:
    KendallCat posted about a new shop he found in MN recently and it got me thinking: When do you use these shops? When I was a kid, it was the only way I had available to get stuff but these days there are just so many online options. Many card shops have even opened up their own Ebay stores. They tend to overprice the selection on-hand and finding anything in the stores that isn't already on display can be a frustrating and fruitless experience. On top of that, they tend to pay less for stuff you bring in than you can get by throwing it up on Ebay, also.

Do you shop at these stores anymore? If so, do you go in with a clear objective or just browse hoping to get lucky? What are the reasons you would go there vs buying/selling online? What about trading? Do the hobby shops still offer that?

And this is exactly why so many of these stores have gone out of business. To make it, they have to buy at wholesale and sell at retail. It's really that simple. On eBay, prices are somewhere in between, but the stores can't survive on eBay's 9-12% margin. eBay couldn't either if it had to hold inventory. You just can't run a business buying at 90c and selling at $1 unless you already have the item sold when you buy it, like a grocery store or gold. Not saying that anyone is doing anything wrong, just economic reality.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

To be clear the shop in Chantilly is not like the one KendallCat posted pics of. That shop he posted pics of is off the charts nice.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

@canyoubelieveit said:
    I just have been disappointed whenever I go into one of the few around me. Very few graded cards, Maybe it's a good time to open a new one. Nothing like that exists near me and, living in the Boston area, you'd think nice places would be all over. To be fair, I haven't actually gone into Boston proper to see what is there. I stay away from the city if I can help it!

Sportworld in Everett used to be awesome! Not sure if it's still there or not?

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    GansetttimeGansetttime Posts: 222 ✭✭✭

@jackstraw said:

@canyoubelieveit said:

Sportworld in Everett used to be awesome! Not sure if it's still there or not?

I believe it was put up for sale, not sure myself if it sold or is still open. Cool shop nonetheless!

• Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

The couple that we have in Connecticut are really good. I like to go in there to pick up cheap cards that I need for some of my sets (usually under $1.00) I also like to pick up vintage where I can really see the card in hand before I buy. You can't do that on line. I do not mind if I pay a little more than ebay because it helps them stay in business. Sometimes you need a card fix right then and not have to wait a week for the card to come in the mail.

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many years ago when my sons were little I would take them into the local card store to buy modern packs. The owner would allow them to "feel" their way around a box for the pack with the hit. For me personally, I would buy supplies (600 count boxes, screw down cases, beckett books, etc.). The vintage cards they had for sale were overpriced and in poor condition. Unfortunately with the internet I can get everything I need online.

• Options

@72skywalker said:
    The couple that we have in Connecticut are really good. I like to go in there to pick up cheap cards that I need for some of my sets (usually under $1.00) I also like to pick up vintage where I can really see the card in hand before I buy. You can't do that on line. I do not mind if I pay a little more than ebay because it helps them stay in business. Sometimes you need a card fix right then and not have to wait a week for the card to come in the mail.

Makes sense, especially as relates to filling in some blanks in a set. The card shops near me rarely carry pre-70's stuff but they do have the odd scattering of 60's or late 50's. Sometimes interesting to look through but I am not really a set collector...lol, most often, I am a set breaker.

• Options
    In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

The one I found has new old stock in from time to time. I still like buying right there and walking out with the purchase.
    Bought 5 87 Topps Baseball vending boxes, went back about a month later and bought 5 87 Topps Baseball factory sets.
    Got supplies also. Added benefit is they will submit cards to PSA using there account, one to whatever I want. Prices are close to online, some less. They have a million cards in sort boxes but no 87 Topps baseball in sort boxes. It's in another county and taxes are less than where I live.

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

@72skywalker said:

Where are these stores? I know Omni in Wethersfield and Kens in Kensington but other than that! I wish there was one east of Hartford.

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

@jackstraw said:

@72skywalker said:

Where are these stores? I know Omni in Wethersfield and Kens in Kensington but other than that! I wish there was one east of Hartford.

@jackstraw said:

@72skywalker said:

There is Ideal Cards in Terryville. the owner Alix is great. He usually sets up at the Plainville and Enfield card shows.

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars