Home Q & A Forum
Options

Cleaning (inexpensive) coins

OrlenaOrlena Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

I bought an inexpensive set of 1953 Elizabeth coronation BU uncirculated coins from the U.K. I paid about $12 and got a sealed but very tarnished set. The designs are unique and historical, but tough to appreciate since they are so tarnished and fairly corroded.

What is the best way to clean them and appreciate their designs. I wouldn’t do this to a rare and valuable coin, but this set was more about historical curiosity than collectibility

Answers

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

So the tarnish is the normal chemical reaction of the coin metal exposure to environmental conditions of 67 years of being. If in fact your coins are BU UNC. and you enjoy their design, you should leave them as is. And buy another set that is not tarnished. Cleaning is bad. If a coin is dirty, you can however dip a coin in acetone. It may remove certain types of dirt but not others. Rubbing a coin causes scratches or marks that degrade the condition from UNC to bupkas. Think about it and have a nice day. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    OrlenaOrlena Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

Thanks, I guess I knew that was the right answer even before I asked

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't recommend cleaning any coin.