Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Comments

• Options
    MoonmanMoonman Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

Good Read

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would guess that the card from 1982 that he is trying to corner the market on is the Fleer Ripken or Topps Henderson. Those are the only two cards that are remotely close in population.

• Options
    LGCLGC Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

There are 387 Topps Traded Ripken PSA 10s.

It would be very difficult to corner the market on this card. It is very much desired, so what could move certain very passionate holders to collectively sell theirs!?

Must be another card.

• Options
    clayshooter22clayshooter22 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

You don't need to own them all to corner the market, just take all of the ones available out of circulation.

Kirby Puckett Master Set
  • Options
    MoonmanMoonman Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

If he has 82 of any of those then consider the market cornered

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

@maddux69 said:
    I would guess that the card from 1982 that he is trying to corner the market on is the Fleer Ripken or Topps Henderson.

He said it was Topps, so not the Fleer Ripken. He did not specify the sport.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's an excellent article but, man, Probstein is just trash. The guy is so dishonest he even lies about the lawsuit against him still being underway. Who lies about something so easily checked? Sounds like he runs a not-so-tight ship, too.

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GreenSneakers said:

@maddux69 said:
    I would guess that the card from 1982 that he is trying to corner the market on is the Fleer Ripken or Topps Henderson.

He said it was Topps, so not the Fleer Ripken. He did not specify the sport.

I checked football thinking it may be the LT, but nothing is even close

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:
    That's an excellent article but, man, Probstein is just trash. The guy is so dishonest he even lies about the lawsuit against him still being underway. Who lies about something so easily checked? Sounds like he runs a not-so-tight ship, too.

my favorite line, " Incandescent red hair " ! if you've ever had the displeasure of running into him personally, you'll know just how true that 1st impression was/is!

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does he limit it to rookies? If not then 82 Topps Joe Montana is in the range of 262. Around 240 or 244 PSA 10 Montanas.

• Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

"Well, a 1982 Topps card," he says, "[of which] there are 262 PSA 10s."

Jason might've guessed it earlier in the thread, with the '82 Henderson sitting at 286 PSA 10's.

While trying to corner the market on a card might be a fun collecting endeavor, I don't really see it as being a profitable "investment" strategy, at least not with a more obscure card like the '82 Henderson.

Sure, maybe you drive the price up initially, but eventually you will have to sell all of those cards to realize your profit. You may make some decent money on the first few sales, but as the cards re-enter the market the prices will start to drop.

Also, nothing against the '82 Rickey Henderson card -- it's a great card aesthetically and definitely is a standout in the '82 Topps set -- but I don't see a lot of collectors yearning to add a PSA 10 to their collections. Maybe this strategy would work with some of the more iconic cards, but good luck trying to corner the market on a '55 Topps Roberto Clemente. :smile:

• Options
    CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭

I have never dealt with Probstein. I have never consigned with him, and I have bid on many of his auctions but never win.

That being said, I feel like this article didn’t portray him in a very good light. If I was him, there’s no way I could read that and think it portrayed me in a good light.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cooptown said:
    That being said, I feel like this article didn’t portray him in a very good light. If I was him, there’s no way I could read that and think it portrayed me in a good light.

The article was accurate then. Too many reports of him basically stealing cards. Poor inventory control or lack of desire to list certain cards does not give someone the right to not return or make right with the customer.

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CW said:
    "Well, a 1982 Topps card," he says, "[of which] there are 262 PSA 10s."

Jason might've guessed it earlier in the thread, with the '82 Henderson sitting at 286 PSA 10's.

While trying to corner the market on a card might be a fun collecting endeavor, I don't really see it as being a profitable "investment" strategy, at least not with a more obscure card like the '82 Henderson.

Sure, maybe you drive the price up initially, but eventually you will have to sell all of those cards to realize your profit. You may make some decent money on the first few sales, but as the cards re-enter the market the prices will start to drop.

Also, nothing against the '82 Rickey Henderson card -- it's a great card aesthetically and definitely is a standout in the '82 Topps set -- but I don't see a lot of collectors yearning to add a PSA 10 to their collections. Maybe this strategy would work with some of the more iconic cards, but good luck trying to corner the market on a '55 Topps Roberto Clemente. :smile:

2 of Rickeys first 3 Topps are great looking. The rookie is iconic. I'm content with my 9. 1982 looks great, but agreed. Why corner the market w/ that Rickey issue. "3rd year base! Super hot!" :D

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2020 11:32AM

i did something similar w the 1982 topps rose card. didn't do it to corner, but ended up w 30+ of the psa 10s after a couple of years. was getting every one that popped up for $50. 4sc listed one after another for awhile. ended moving them over the past year ranging from $90 - $179. they started off moving slow but seemed to go pretty quickly towards the end at the higher price point. still something i haven't fully wrapped my head around.