russkcparusskcpa Posts: 29 ✭✭

PSA 8 (682) for $8,000
PSA 7 (683) for $5,000
PSA 7 (339) FOR $6,000
I wouldn't even hesitate with my pick

Comments

• Options
    soxaddictsoxaddict Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

I’m a baseball guy so I don’t know squat about hockey prices lol. But, I’d pay the extra $3k for the 8.

• Options
    Bobby24Bobby24 Posts: 51 ✭✭

I will take the 8. The oil drop isn’t centered, but the card is.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭✭

for a PC it would be the 7 for sure. the color and registration of the 8 is not nearly as nice as that of the 7.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cert 683, though the upper right corner angle cut bothers me some, centered oil drop, nice registration, rough cut, and not OC enough to be distracting to my eye.

• Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

683 looks the nicest to me.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    for a PC it would be the 7 for sure. the color and registration of the 8 is not nearly as nice as that of the 7.

Craig.....my thoughts exactly. Staring at the 8 will make me dizzy. Plus the oil drop on the 8 is off center.
    I kind of like the PSA 7 (339) with perfect oil drop

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭

683 for me. It looks like something's taken a few bites out of both L and R edges towards the top of that 8...

Jim

• Options
    LGCLGC Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

The 683 imo is the best card and the best for value.

The PSA 8 has severe image/focus issues such that it should be graded below the other two; that is, an over grade, imo. Technically an 8, but how can you enjoy that card when the image makes the player look deformed.

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

339 left edge looks funky to me. I take 683. The 8 is nicer, but not $3k nicer.

• Options
    LGCLGC Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

Besides assessing the oil drops, on both the jersey and in the lower right logo, as a proxy for focus, look at the alignment of the “Edmonton“ and the “Oilers” on the top header. The 683 is the only card where the two are aligned. The Oilers on the other two is dropped from the Edmonton.

• Options

@soxaddict said:
    I’m a baseball guy so I don’t know squat about hockey prices lol. But, I’d pay the extra $3k for the 8.

I guess you should stick to baseball :D

• Options

@LGC said:
    Besides assessing the oil drops, on both the jersey and in the lower right logo, as a proxy for focus, look at the alignment of the “Edmonton“ and the “Oilers” on the top header. The 683 is the only card where the two are aligned. The Oilers on the other two is dropped from the Edmonton.

Great points...thanks for pointing that out about the alignment

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd take the PSA 8~ send it to PWCC and have them do their magic....voila PSA 8.5 or better.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would pass on all three, and look for one with better eye-appeal.

The first 7 (83) has too many stray ink marks.
    The second 7 (39) is too narrow, and it has a "diamond-cut".
    The 8 (82) is out of focus, and the drop of oil is not centered.

Steve

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 14, 2020 2:04PM

To be honest, I don't like any of them. If you twisted my arm, I'd take the 683 PSA 7.

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. That 8 is fugly.

Andy

• Options

Definitely not the PSA 8. It has arguably the worst registration of the three for $3K more.

The PSA 7 with Cert. 683 is the best value as, for $1K savings, you get much better focus than Cert. 339 with only a negligible dropoff in terms of the slightly rougher edges. Considering that a little roughness around the edges is actually considered part of the charm of this card, I actually feel it adds to its authenticity.