Home Sports Talk
Options

The official 2020 MLB season thread

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 2020 MLB season is underway, so here we go!

Comments

• Options
    edited July 23, 2020 9:07PM

Giancarlo Stanton crushes the first homer of the 2020 season with a 459 foot, 2 run dinger in the 1st inning against the Washington Nationals.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv0fqWaKI6Y

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the ball still lying in the stands?

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

He really got into that one.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just saw that Dr. Fauci got signed by the Orioles to improve their bullpen.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    The 2020 MLB season is underway, so here we go!

And it started off with a whimper of a 5 inning game, somehow poetic.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    Is the ball still lying in the stands?

Budweiser is paying people to gather up home run balls and giving them away.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

Refuse to watch. They are a disgrace to our nation.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited July 24, 2020 10:06PM

@LarkinCollector said:
    Just saw that Dr. Fauci got signed by the Orioles to improve their bullpen.

And Topps is giving Fauci his own baseball card.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/dr-anthony-fauci-gets-own-baseball-card-after-throwing-out-first-pitch/ar-BB179jIq

• Options

I can see my Braves are getting off to a great start, managing to get 3 hits against the Mets.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭✭✭

Angels and A's are in extra innings tied at 3.

Due to the new rule, the Angels start the inning with a runner on 2nd base; in this case Ohtani, as he made the last out in the previous inning.

OK, I have a question.

What happens in this situation:

Two teams are scoreless after nine innings; so they go to extra innings tied at zero. Now, say one of the starting pitchers is still in the game, and he just so happens to be pitching a PERFECT GAME.....no one has reached first base! If they put a runner on second to start that particular half-inning, what happens to the perfect game being pitched?

Steve

• Options

The runner on 2B is treated as reaching on an error so the perfect game would be over.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2020 1:02AM

@Tabe said:
    The runner on 2B is treated as reaching on an error so the perfect game would be over.

So, if the home-team's starting pitcher has a perfect game after 9 innings, and the game is scoreless; in the top of the 10th, a runner is automatically placed at 2nd base, simply because of some stupid new administrative rule. The home-team's starting pitcher gets through the top of the 10th, retiring all 3 batters he faces, without the runner on 2nd scoring. The home team then scores in the bottom of the 10th, winning the game.

According to your statement, even though the home-team's starting pitcher has faced 30 batters in 10 innings, and has retired all 30 of them, without allowing even one of them to get to first base, and his team wins 1-0 with him as the winning pitcher, he does not get a perfect game? If that is true, and I did see what you said, on ESPN.com, the idiots running MLB are INSANE!!!!!

Steve

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭✭

Red Sox off to a blistering start in a 13-2 victory. It looks like their hitting machine is in high gear. Now if only their pitching holds up they will e fine.

• Options

LAA vs Oakland, walk off grand slam in the tenth.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x2nJKCpIwiA

• Options

Chris Taylor runs into Pablo Sandoval in the Giants vs Dodgers game. This play has been the BUTT of a lot of jokes online.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

You forgot to mention what a great game Mike Trout had. On base 3 times with a single, a walk, and a HBP. Of course, with men on base and at bats that actually meant something, he struck out swinging and popped out in foul territory.

• Options

@countdouglas said:

@doubledragon said:

You forgot to mention what a great game Mike Trout had. On base 3 times with a single, a walk, and a HBP. Of course, with men on base and at bats that actually meant something, he struck out swinging and popped out in foul territory.

Yes, and he'll be spending the post season the same way he always does, swimming in the money he stole!

• Options

@countdouglas said:

Not quite. He hit once with RISP and walked (intentionally). He hit one other time with anybody on and struck out.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:
    I have lost all interest. I think it's DISGUSTING that politics has become the focus of the game. Pathetic and a pox on all of them for being so weak. This is supposed to be the "National Pastime" well, it ain't for me. I couldn't care less who wins or loses, and that includes my Red Sox.

I’m with you Al 🇺🇸👍👍

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:
    I have lost all interest. I think it's DISGUSTING that politics has become the focus of the game. Pathetic and a pox on all of them for being so weak. This is supposed to be the "National Pastime" well, it ain't for me. I couldn't care less who wins or loses, and that includes my Red Sox.

I've sort of basically written off this MLB season at this point for a multitude of reasons.

If others wish to enjoy it, i have no problem at all with that.

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭✭

I will watch because I have nothing else to do but have no real interest in it anymore. The fire is out for me.

• Options
    rookiecardfanrookiecardfan Posts: 46 ✭✭✭

Well it didn’t take long for Diaz to blow another one for the Mets 👎🏼

• Options
    edited July 26, 2020 9:17PM

My Braves got their revenge on the Mets, destroying them 14-1, and Austin Riley crushed a ball.

Ahhh, that's more like it!

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:
    Refuse to watch. They are a disgrace to our nation.

The National Pastime has become the National Disgrace

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

We had a little drama in the Dodgers vs Astros game yesterday. Here's the breakdown of what happened.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=coSL_bN1gQw