Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

New to grading. Seeking experiences and feedback.

What has anyone's experience been like trying to buy ungraded cards on eBay that have a solid market if PSA 9-10s and getting them graded yourself to flip? It's pretty hard to tell the condition of a card online from pics outside of the edges and centering, but you only have to hit on a few big ones to make it profitable it seems.

Same goes for buying ungraded cards in-person from a dealer. Is it safe to assume that all of their ungraded rookie cards are not good enough for grading or is it that they just don't have enough time and man-power to send them all in so they sell for $15-$25 ungraded when they could fetch 10x as PSA 9s or 10s.

Lastly, how much of a difference in turn around time are you experiencing with BGS opposed to PSA? I've herd BGS taking a few months where PSA is taking 6+ months unless you pay for 2-day turnaround.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Cardman99Cardman99 Posts: 38
    edited July 22, 2020 8:31AM

Hey - I have had a fair amount of success with buying from eBay and getting grades from both PSA and BGS to increase value. Many 10s from PSA and many 9.5 from BGS for cards from 90s to current.

The main thing you want to look for is multiple photos - clear front and back, showing all corners and edges clearly as well as surface. People who hide edges, use weird lighting or angles, don’t show the back of the card you want to stay away from if you’re seeking to grade. It also helps to use a PC or IPad and zoom in on the corners and card.

Once you make your purchase you still may miss, and notice something perhaps you didn’t prior to you purchasing now that you can physically see the card ( a minor dent or bend, centering issue or crease). It is a risk everytime - but If you spend your time viewing multiple pics (and even asking for pics) you should be fine.

Regarding turnaround time for grades - I’ve used both BGS and PSA, however stopped with BGS because guaranteed turnaround times stopped being guaranteed (even though paid for), their rep was rude, and they no longer have good deals like the quarterly specials PSA provides. The only thing I would go back to BGS for is if I had a PSA graded 10 on a card that I also think has a shot at a BGS black label - then I would consider but it would have to be a special card.

• Options

Thanks a lot for your response. I've been doing most of those things intuitively so that makes me feel better about a few recent purchases. Worst case, I have a good base rookie card of players I love in great condition that I got for a good market price at the time of purchase.

Have you used the PSA 2-day or 5-day turnaround service lately? I believe it's $50 a card + shipping + insurance right?

• Options

These were purchased by me ungraded on eBay - just a few I’ve had done

• Options

I have not used the express service - I usually send them in batches of 30-50 at a time

• Options

awesome! thanks again