Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Swing and a miss

Here are some from a recent sub. There were wins too Just wanted to post a few of these because 9s seem to be so under appreciated. I will post some more scans as I get to it.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies

Comments

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few more

And this one I threw in actually surprised it got a 9

• Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

G O D

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options

@DavidPuddy said:
    G O D

Truly his work on the Cansecos

• Options

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 449 ✭✭✭✭

Are these from the right after Thanksgiving sub? Was really pulling for you on the Canseco's ...... just a tad off center L to R.
    Frank Thomas looks dead on. Agree that PSA 9's are underappreciated. Nice looking cards..............

• Options

@sayheywyo said:
    Are these from the right after Thanksgiving sub? Was really pulling for you on the Canseco's ...... just a tad off center L to R.
    Frank Thomas looks dead on. Agree that PSA 9's are underappreciated. Nice looking cards..............

Yes. I actually think the top right Canseco is the best of the bunch

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cannot tell the difference between a 9 and a 10 on modern cards. I have pretty much everything I would want from the 80s raw but if I were to buy graded I would definitely buy 9s.

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

While my graded collection is almost completely football, 1980 Topps baseball all stars hold a special place in my heart. The Garvey and Brett are great cards.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

the l/r centering, especially towards the bottom on the 2 Cansecos is what most likely put them in PSA 9 holders...nice cards, but not 10-worthy? I'd also say on the 2013 Update Trout, you got the benefit of the doubt with the l/r centering (within 60-40, but that doesn't always equate to a PSA 10 as we know)...all in all, a bunch of very nice cards...the Bretts look sharp and worthy of a resub?

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

@brad31 said:
    I cannot tell the difference between a 9 and a 10 on modern cards. I have pretty much everything I would want from the 80s raw but if I were to buy graded I would definitely buy 9s.

You'll save a lot of money not chasing the highest graded version of every card you want. It's a great way to collect, imo.

I used to think 9s and 10s were a crapshoot, but no more. Here's a fun exercise. Try to find a gem mint 1988 Fleer Scottie Pippen RC in a PSA 9 holder. You will surely be able to find some slightly flawed PSA 10s - I grant you that. But I'm guessing you will not find any PSA 9 that looks like it deserves to be a PSA 10. You'll find a little bit of edge scraping, a little bit of surface scuffing, some mediocre T/B centering, scattered fisheyes, and the famous acne in the bottom black section. Something awful will befall EVERY PSA 9 - you would just have to pick your poison.

• Options

@sayheywyo said:

Yes. I actually think the top right Canseco> @Kid4hof03 said:

While my graded collection is almost completely football, 1980 Topps baseball all stars hold a special place in my heart. The Garvey and Brett are great cards.

I just bought a pretty nice collection and have several cards from the 70s and 80s submitted. Hopefully I fair better. I think standards have tightened. Were the cards flawless that got 9s? no I just thought one or two would get 10 holders, but it is the risk you take. Anyway I am not going to let it discourage me. Gonna keep on plugging.