Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

EBay Question

Sold a $400 card. Buyer paid. Now he requests a refund. Reason: changed his mind, cancel order.

I’ve never had this before. Do I just issue the refund and relist? If so, does the buyer get negative feedback or anything? If I don’t refund, I’m afraid he’ll just try to screw me over by saying he did not receive item , etc.

Help appreciated.

Comments

• maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 20, 2020 1:44PM

Save yourself the headache and go ahead and cancel it. As long as you have the message you are fine. After that, I would promptly block the bidder. The sad part is now Paypal keeps their fee so you are out that.

• SheamasterSheamaster Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Thank you. That’s crazy that I get stuck with PP fees. Buyer should have to pay that first to even file a refund request.

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the eBay name of the buyer? I would like to block him.

• swish54swish54 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭

Agree that you should just refund and block the person. Not worth the hassle or risk of games they could play later on with you. It's unfortunate, and not right, to be able to do that, but that's the world of selling online through Ebay since they are all about the buyer's side. About the only thing you can do from a sellers perspective is to leave a positive negative. It won't hurt their %, but will alert others if they actually read the feedback.

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

you must not sell much, this happens to me about once every 24 months

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

All fees will be automatically refunded. There will be no cost to you other than a waste of time.

i'm presuming you had not shipped the card.

@maddux69 said:
    As I stated before, Paypal will keep their fee after refunding the customer

https://theverge.com/2019/9/20/20876570/paypal-refund-fee-policy-change-sellers-controversy

Pasted:

Refund Payments for Individual Transactions
    You can refund the entire amount of a transaction or portions of it.

The default refund period is 180 days from the transaction date. If you refund a payment for goods or services, there are no fees to process the refund, but the fees you originally paid as the seller are not returned to you. The amount of the refunded payment will be deducted from your PayPal account.

The interesting thing is that unless i missed it, I've always received a refund on the PayPal fees.

Here is a PayPal refund to a buyer with my account just from yesterday:

Pasted:

Apr 21, 2020
    Fee reversal from PayPal
    Completed
    $0.87 USD
    Apr 21, 2020
    Refund to XXXXX
    Completed
    -$30.00 USD

@stevek said:

@maddux69 said:

https://theverge.com/2019/9/20/20876570/paypal-refund-fee-policy-change-sellers-controversy

Pasted:

Refund Payments for Individual Transactions
    You can refund the entire amount of a transaction or portions of it.

The default refund period is 180 days from the transaction date. If you refund a payment for goods or services, there are no fees to process the refund, but the fees you originally paid as the seller are not returned to you. The amount of the refunded payment will be deducted from your PayPal account.

The interesting thing is that unless i missed it, I've always received a refund on the PayPal fees.

Here is a PayPal refund to a buyer with my account just from yesterday:

Pasted:

Apr 21, 2020
    Fee reversal from PayPal
    Completed
    $0.87 USD
    Apr 21, 2020
    Refund to XXXXX
    Completed
    -$30.00 USD

I just double checked it, the .87 was a credit and the $30 was a debit. So it appears that the PayPal fees were refunded, unless i'm reading this incorrectly.

In any event, it's overall not enough to overly worry about, and thanks for the heads up.

I just thought of this...perhaps with the corona virus, PayPal has just temporarily waived the policy?

• maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't speak on your situation, but it even says so in their note:

but the fees you originally paid as the seller are not returned to you

@maddux69 said:
    I can't speak on your situation, but it even says so in their note:

but the fees you originally paid as the seller are not returned to you

Well as noted, this fee was returned.

I have a feeling PayPal waived the fee because of this corona virus, while before i had just missed it, not receiving the refund, not knowing their new policy.

• I bought something on ebay last week. It was the seller's first item ever sold. A week later after having not received the item and no tracking number, I asked the seller for a tracking number. Seller proceeded to tell me that his dad wont take him to the post office to ship it. I was so pissed.

Pasted:

Update 3/21/20: PayPal has announced that due to COVID-19 this is currently being suspended:

At PayPal we are here to support you and we know that the spread of COVID-19 and its impact on the global economy has serious implications for your business. We have seen that you have been particularly impacted by recent customer behavior and so we would like to offer a temporary refund policy on your account. This means that from today until April 30th, PayPal will not withhold any of the transaction fees when we process a refund on your behalf.

The greedy little bastiges at PayPal should make this permanent.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OhioRiver said:
    I bought something on ebay last week. It was the seller's first item ever sold. A week later after having not received the item and no tracking number, I asked the seller for a tracking number. Seller proceeded to tell me that his dad wont take him to the post office to ship it. I was so pissed.

That's a new one. How old is he, 14? He must still be grounded.

• @doubledragon said:

@OhioRiver said:
    I bought something on ebay last week. It was the seller's first item ever sold. A week later after having not received the item and no tracking number, I asked the seller for a tracking number. Seller proceeded to tell me that his dad wont take him to the post office to ship it. I was so pissed.

I've been using ebay for about 12 years and never had anything like it happen. Said he is 16 but doesn't have a drivers license.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OhioRiver said:

@doubledragon said:

@OhioRiver said:

I've been using ebay for about 12 years and never had anything like it happen. Said he is 16 but doesn't have a drivers license.

Oh brother. Unbelievable.

• Just refund the money and relist the card I always thought you get your fees back unless thats changed but if you complain sometimes Paypal and Ebay will cancel your fees. You take a certain risk when you sell collectibles because the scam artists are out there best of luck.

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the buyers username so we can all block him?

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

Someone paid me $680 in the wrong manner had $21 ish dollars fee. I immediately refunded and he sent payment without fees. They took the $21 anyway. The person called PayPal and I received a one time gift for the fees. That’s terrible policy.

@maddux69 said: