Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Fort Washington

Well,

Another Ft. Washington show has come and gone... It was nice to run into Bob Cacamese (gaspipe26) and then Neil Downey and I ran into Eric Sanders (ejguru) later in the evening. Finding high end raw seems to be getting tougher and tougher - but an enjoyable evening nonetheless!!!

Anyone come away with anything really nice at the show?
Frank Bakka
Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
outerbankyank on eBay!

Comments

• Options
    Not a bad show.I was there Saturday morning when the show opened. I did find that many dealers had not updated their books of commons since the last show which was frustrating, as you said getting harder to find good raw cards. Droped off a very promising submission to PSA , I will keep my fingers crossed. I also picked up a few PSA graded cards for some sets I'm working on. I also bought my first 1970 KELLOGGS card, a PSA 8 BOOG POWELL . I figured for $6 how can I go wrong. I looked at the card for the whole ride home (approx. 3 hours and no I wasn't driving). I think I am hookedimage Overall a fair show, but better than a day at work anytime.

BOB /BASESAREEMPTY
  • Options
    mcdee2mcdee2 Posts: 1,150
    I thought it was a nice show.. focusing mostly on vintage baseball psa graded of course. I dropped off 30 something cards for grading, picked up a couple cards for a set I am working on and bought some wax. It was nice seeing a couple of my buddies there including the guys from Xtrainnnings cards..
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I was very happy to meet Neal Kane, a few of the dealers with whom I've typically only dealt over the phone or computer, and also a person who has purchased some 1955 Bowman cards from me on Ebay.

The card show was very nice -- the first Ft. Washington show I have been able to attend since March. I did not find any great cards to add -- but I was happy to make some contacts nonetheless.

I saw a proliferation of GAI cards at these shows -- but I also saw very little movement on any of them. Some great high-grade cards were abound.

For better or worse (I vote better), Mr. Mint was unusually quiet -- and Bill Goodwin's table has been very stagnant over the past few months.

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743

<< <i> Bill Goodwin's table has been very stagnant
    over the past few months.MS >>

ummm..nasdaq was 5300
    now 14something
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    Agree with others--high grade raw 60's is getting harder to find (well, at least over the last 4 years that I've been hunting!). Definite Friday show highlights meeting Ron R., FB (thanks for the case), and Downey. Atlantic City should be a great time Summer 03!

I returned to the show on Sunday and most dealers I spoke to said the show was "very good." In terms of attendance, Sunday seemed VERY crowded. Also enjoyed meeting Bryon over at PSA. He took a few minutes to screen a few cards (THANKS) and showed me some finer points of examining corners. He and Matt estimated PSA did well and on-site for March was a possibility. Submitted some of my '67 cello pack finds that were centered. Any other big scores at the show??
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options

<< <i>I also bought my first 1970 KELLOGGS card, a PSA 8 BOOG POWELL . I figured for $6 how can I go wrong. I looked at the card for the whole ride home (approx. 3 hours and no I wasn't driving). I think I am hooked >>

Great Story!! Now just think what a PSA 9 will do for you! You may miss a week of work, but you will be happy as heck!!
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    It was a good show. Most of the dealers had the same stuff at the same price. Funny, but it seems there is one dealer, maybe two, who has had the same cards at the same price for YEARS image

I did meet MikeSchmidt Marc - my pleasure - and murcerfan. I almost got a chance to meet EJ, but his Fordham squad was playing Nova = next time E!

Picked up a few Rose cards I needed, met Byron who looked at a 1921 Walter Johnson American Caramel for me. I was told it would grade a 5, maybe a PSA 6 so I bought it.

All in all a good show and look forward to the next one.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    This is very similar to what I found at the Sun-Times show right before Thanksgiving. High-quality raw stuff was a lot tougher to come by - especially when you consider how abundant it seemed to be at National two months prior.
    I found a few nice 75s, 78s, and 79s - but just a few. Expecting results on those any time now *crosses fingers*
    Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    I wish there was at least one GOOD show that was somewhere close***

You east coast guys have it pretty good, even if the show is marginal ( it still beats the 6 table mall shows here in OR).....

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

I was there on Saturday morning. Since I am only working on one real set (1940 Play Ball), I usually get out by noon, but attendance seemed pretty strong compared to the last few shows. I did notice a huge spike in dealers displaying raw cards from my set, but most were PSA 2-4 quality, and some looked obviously altered. Maybe dealers were hoping for better demand, because of the SMR article by Joe O. on this set. Did pick up a few raw cards, and submitted them. Should get me over that 90% plateau. As for other stuff, I did see alot of high grade PSA cards, particularly a group of 1915 CJ PSA 8's and 9's, that made my heart pump.

On a side note, I took my father with me to the show. He took me to my first show in 1989, and this was the first time since that we've been to a show together. Walking around the hall I was telling him about my set, the registry, and reasons why cards were priced as they were. We arrived at Shoebox Card's table, and my father struck up a conversation about Play Ball cards, in general, with Wayne and his partner. Needless to say, my father was making no sense, and bless their hearts, the Shoebox guys did a great job in tactfully explaining the err in his thinking, and not make him feel silly. Kudos to them!image

Great show for me for obvious reasons.

Bernie
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    mcdee2mcdee2 Posts: 1,150
    Great story Playball... took my 6 mos. old daughter and while she did not fully comprehend any of the nuances of my collecting habits she did manage to drool and smile a lot. I directly attribute her smile to saving me 10 bucks at a table where the dealer was doing the "coocy-coo" thing with her. At the end of the day, my wife took a picture of my daughter and I in front of the huge PSA hanging back drop and booth for a souvenier for my daughters first major card show. I was never a Bill Russel (SS LA.. not the BkB guy) fan so I skipped having her picture taken with him..

• Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭

<< <i>while she did not fully comprehend any of the nuances of my collecting habits she did manage to drool and smile a lot. >>

drool and smile, that is also what Zardoz does when he is at shows
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    I sure wish I could have made the show. I've been to the Ft. Washington show three times and it's hands down the best regional show in the country. Reading over these messages, it pretty much confirmed what I had already expected in that finding high-end raw cards is getting very tough these days, and that's why I can't justify making that trip anymore. On the positive side, most of the graded stuff on eBay is selling at very reasonable prices these days. Of course meeting other collectors and dealers is half the fun. I can't wait to go to the Atlantic City show this summer.

Playball--Your story about Shoebox Cards made my day. I think that's terrific that a father and son spend time together in a hobby like this and I'm glad to hear that Shoebox did the right thing. Thanks for sharing that! Most of the dealers are decent people, and it's a shame a few rotten apples stink up the hobby by not having a clue how to treat their customers right.
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Bobs> "drool and smile, that is also what Zardoz does when he is at shows"

It sounds like he's made progress if he's keeping to to just when he's at shows image

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    I live to far from Philly to go to the Fort. shows, however the quarterly show was this week-end here in Columbus. The high-quality raw delima you guys speak about is absent here. Still plenty of good stuff from 1986 onimage.

Seriously, I did pick up about 40 1972 FB high #'s which will fit very nicely in my nm-mint raw set. The entire set will eventually be graded, I'm expecting mostly 8's with 7's and 9's also.

I wish at just one show a year in this area one of the big dealers would attend. There are no high grade PSA dealers to speak of. There are a handful of guys with graded stuff, but no vintage stars were slabbed and the chances of ever finding already graded cards for any of my sets at these shows is never. I'm jealousimage
  • Options
    I was able to get to the show on Friday night for once, as my father and I usually don't get there until Sunday. I went specifically looking for Set Builders but I couldn't find them and assume that they didn't set up this time around. All the way near the last isle, near SGC, was a couple with a similar set up to Set Builders with binders divided into years. Flipped through two books of '65 commons and then went through a good number of stars and high numbers that were in top-loaders. Most impressive, I can't remember the last time I went through that many well-centered '65s from the same dealer. I spent the bulk of my time and funds at this one table so I can't really comment on the rest of the show.

• Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

Nevermind...I thought you said you bought those commons from "set-builders"....

John
  • Options
    I was able to pick up some 8s and 9s for my 70 set, as well as about 30 raw cards for the set, and I splurged and picked up a 53 Bowman Color Stan Musial in a 9.
    Collector of baseball PSA sets from the 1970's & hockey rookie cards; big New York Rangers fan (particularly now that they are sleeping with the enemy with Holik and Kaspiritus). Also starting to collect 53 Bowman Color as I think they are the most beautiful cards I have seen.
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    brumbach,

You're correct - Set Builders didn't make this one, but they will be back in February. And I too spent the bulk of my funds at that same table where you grabbed your 65's. I snagged 10 - 15 really sweet 67's and grabbed another 60 beautiful 64's. Made my evening!!!!
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options

<< <i>53 Bowman Color Stan Musial in a 9 >>

I wish I could pick up a card like thisimage

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    Brian,

You can always pick up a card like that - it's just that dealers make guys like us put it back down.image

wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    Brian

Security usually gets me at the door or the parking lotimage
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    BobS,

Seriously, I did pick up about 40 1972 FB high #'s which will fit very nicely in my nm-mint raw set. The entire set will eventually be graded, I'm expecting mostly 8's with 7's and 9's also.

If you come across any doubles of the cards listed below LMK,

1 1971 RUSHING LEADERS
    19 FRED HOAGLIN
    20 CARL ELLER
    37 RON SHANKLIN
    40 ROMAN GABRIEL
    58 KEN BOWMAN
    60 CHARLIE SANDERS
    61 JAN STENERUD
    70 LEROY KELLY
    71 BOB LEE
    105 BOB HAYES
    110 GALE SAYERS
    115 GARO YEPREMIAN
    133 AFC SEMI-FINAL
    134 NFC SEMI-FINAL
    138 NFC TITLE GAME
    140 LARRY CSONKA
    141 RICK VOLK
    144 BOBBY DOUGLASS
    146 HAROLD JACKSON
    147 PETE GOGOLAK
    162 ERNIE KELLERMAN
    166 CLINT JONES
    167 PAUL WARFIELD
    179 BOB TRUMPY
    193 JAKE SCOTT
    203 TOM BEER
    211 BILL NELSEN
    216 TOM MATTE
    217 PAT FISCHER
    221 MANNY FERNANDEZ
    232 NORM BULAICH
    233 SPIDER LOCKHART
    242 GLEN RAY HINES
    246 W.K. HICKS
    257 L.C.GREENWOOD IA
    260 MIKE MCCOY DT IA
    262 RAY MAY IA

I need these in PSA 8 NQ or higher.

Carlos

Email ME
  • Options
    I haven't met any of you but from poking through these threads and tying it back to the registry I can see there are some fantastic collections among you. On the topic of Fort Washington. I was there on Sunday and picked up about 25 beautiful 1954 Bowman cards (raw), a bunch of 1960's (both raw and graded), a dozen 1966's (graded) and a handful of Bobby Orr cards that I will get graded (probably range from 6 to 8). I still see that most dealers have their PSA 9 pricing still in the stratosphere so I spent most of my time in the back left corner looking for high grade commons. I have yet to register a set (outside of player sets) but will probably do so in the next few months.
    Looking for well centered 1958 topps baseball psa 8 and up. Also dying for a 70 Aaron All Star in PSA 9.
  • Options
    welcome Aaronman.

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey