Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

NIce to finally see Patrick Mahomes on the cover of SMR

Well done PSA. I've been patiently waiting for the best QB in football to be on the cover.
Even a very inferior QB who wears a Brown colored uniform was on the cover before him.

Very nice article, thanks to the collectors who allowed PSA to photograph the cards for the article,
I really enjoyed seeing them, many very nice examples. :)

To any Mahomes collectors, do you think the 2016 select redemption card should be included in the rookie set?

Comments

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2019 12:13PM

Wait, which is it? Was Mahomes on the cover or was it the best QB in football? ;)

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    Wait, which is it? Was Mahomes on the cover or was it the best QB in football? ;)

Well, the NFL is now called the GOM. :p

Yeah I was just bustin’. A strong case can be made for Mahomes as the best, but I think there are a couple of others in the discussion. Unfortunately my team’s QB is past his prime and no longer in that discussion.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

It's Mahomes as the best QB today. Lamar is MVP, but I would like to see a long track record with a running QB.

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable

@wrestlingcardking said:
    It's Mahomes as the best QB today. Lamar is MVP, but I would like to see a long track record with a running QB.

My wish is for Lamar to get the MVP, which I think is highly likely, and for Mahomes and the Chiefs to win the Super Bowl.
    I do hope Lamar stays healthy, my guess is the Ravens will have him throwing more and running less starting next
    year in an effort to keep him from taking so many hits.

@wrestlingcardking said:

I was as skeptical of Lamar as anybody, but it’s hard to argue with his passing this year. League leading 36 passing TDs against only 6 INTs. He’s not just a runner.

Yaz Master Set

• wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:

@wrestlingcardking said:

I was as skeptical of Lamar as anybody, but it’s hard to argue with his passing this year. League leading 36 passing TDs against only 6 INTs. He’s not just a runner.

That was not the point i was attempting to make. I want to see if he can continue to play in the NFL the way that he is. No one has ever really played QB this way for an extended period of time as the hits will add up and potential injuries. Lamar has a power running style too, not just a runner in open space. We will see. I hope to watch him for a long time. He is great for the game.

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭

First happy holiday season to everyone and I hope you're enjoying time off I'm at work myself🎉🎉🎉🎉

I think Mahomes is the best of the new crop of QB not for his talent alone , but for his entire makeup. Not going to compare him to anyone as frankly he's got Aaron Rodgers arm with Tom Brady's offensive IQ. He's also got Joe Montana's intangibles. The type of things that players know and respect in key situations will carry them through any pressing bad situations. Mahomes is the type of QB that teammates will do all the extra effort they possibly can and give 100 per-cent of their bodies and mind's as they know when he's in a game they stand a chance always of winning it

Lamar = Cam

Yes I said it. One wrong cut and fate will blow that knee out. It blows he 's Cam II. He's exciting to watch, he's definitely without question this year's MVP and it's not even close, but long-term I have the same concerns as I had with Michael Vick and a ton of other running quarterbacks.

If he can develop more intelligent game IQ and use that threat of running with that arm talent and with that playmaking ability of his, I see him and Mahomes going back and forth with who the most valuable QB in the game is for years to come.

Baker I will refrain from making any comment about until I see more of his games. I am totally unimpressed with his in-game IQ. I am also not impressed with his decision-making abilities in key situations. Frankly Gardner Minshew is showing me more.

My own thoughts of course.

Jeff

@wrestlingcardking said:

@DBesse27 said:

@wrestlingcardking said:

That was not the point i was attempting to make. I want to see if he can continue to play in the NFL the way that he is. No one has ever really played QB this way for an extended period of time as the hits will add up and potential injuries. Lamar has a power running style too, not just a runner in open space. We will see. I hope to watch him for a long time. He is great for the game.

Oh OK, I’ve got you. You’re right, durability and longevity are a question mark.

I also would probably put Mahomes #1 even though I absolutely love Deshaun Watson

@jeffv96masters Lamar’s football IQ, which has room to grow like all young QBs, is already leaps and bounds ahead of Vick’s in his prime.

Yaz Master Set

After reading the article I was seriously considering doing the Mahomes rookie set, but I looked
    at the checklist and of the 37 cards at least 15 or more are patch/uniform/relic cards which I just do not
    care for. I'll pass on doing the set but will continue to pick up a few of his rookie cards I personally like
    here and there.